mossberg .410 pump

Hi guys anybody owned or shot a silenced mossberg .410 pump action shotgun are the any good and how quiet are they i plan on lamping rabbits with it as the rabbits in our area are lamp shy due to idiot is this gun any good for this and is it quiet enough let me know your thoughts

Hi

I have shot one a few times and I thought it was very quite and very nice gun I would describe the shot as someone hitting a nail with a hammer, I used it on clays as well and it was dusting them very well with 3" catridges.

i plan on lamping rabbits with it as the rabbits in our area are lamp shy due to idiot

contradicting quote there :hmm:

a pump hushpower will not be as quite as a single shot, but it will be quiter than an unmodded gun

have you tried different shades of filters if they are lamp shy,

Ive got one.

Mixed opinions on it really. Its not as accurate or as quiet as a decent PCP air rifle, which would cost a similar price. Also, you have to think how will you use it with the lamp? I ended taping the lamp to the silencer on the mossberg.

Noise wise, apparently the fully moderated single barrel .410`s are quieter than the pump action, but in my experience the noise it gives off depends where you are in the field. If you are in the middle of the field, then the noise is litterally like a sneeze. First time i heard it i was amazed. Its quieter than my old springer air rifle, but nowhere near as silent as a pcp. If your near buildings or hedgerows, then the noise will amplify and can be a lot louder.

The main thing which anoys me on mine is the "click click" rambo style pump, which fair enough, its a pump so its going to make that noise, but it seems to be mega loud when your in a deadly quiet field at 1am lamping.

Ive used mine for clays and as someone else said on here, it blows them away. Its got a tight choke and with the 3inch cartidges you end up with dust!

Other points.... nice light gun, no recoil, fantastic build quality - looks like it would last for ever, holds its value extremely well, bit nose heavy with the silencer and .410 cartridges (esp the subsonic ones) are steep at 7quid for 25.

So mixed opinions from me. I think if your shooting from a vehicle or a quad, or just walking about a field for a mooch then the mossberg is ideal. You can shoot quick without having to line up in the scope, have 3 big shots and can also go for pigeons etc. if you have permission to do so.

Personally I find when im lamping or rabbiting, i reach more for my air arms s410. .22 pcp.

Edited by jackinbox99

Yeah, that was another option I thought about - getting a cheapie .410 and adding the silencer. You can have the stock .410 barrel cut down and the silencer fitted, which would give you the same overall length as the non silenced .410. But for the costs of doing it all, it is cheaper to buy a .410 with the full length silencer already on it.

I opted for the pump for those extra 2 shots really, but you do pay a lot more money for the pump over the single shot.

Your right tho, the mossberg is a hell of a length. I have to dismantel it to get it in my cabinet. But, when your using it or walking about with it you really dont notice the length.

Another thing I wish id done was go with the 12g version of the mossberg as at the time they were giving you the stock barrel as well as the hushpower barrel for free. I could also then use normal 12g cartridges in it which would save some cost.

Either way, hushpower`s hold their value well, so if you dont get on with it you can probably get your money back.