A Couple of Possums With the young Borders

post-45474-0-95429700-1290572050_thumb.jpgpost-45474-0-35468900-1290572048_thumb.jpgpost-45474-0-65471600-1290572044_thumb.jpgpost-45474-0-29270600-1290572043_thumb.jpgpost-45474-0-17363500-1290572042_thumb.jpgI went for a bit of a mooch this afternoon, i took the young borders my old Russell bitch and a couple of lurchers, i tried some big places at first and was beginning to doubt my young dogs :hmm: but after trying my old bitch was satisfied no one was home,

so I carried on walking, until the dogs were interested in a really tight place near a Hawthorn, I collared the young border dog up and entered him, i got a mark at about 2 1/2ft 3ft, I dug down through the many roots and stones ( where's the young lads when you need em :search:) and found the pipe had narrowed right out and the dog was tring to dig on so i helped widen the pipe and he was able to push on again, not to far , right under the hawthorn he was baying, so i tunneled on and found him baying again, which is strange because this dog the times i have dug him so far has never bayed like this so I managed to pull him out and clear the pipe again re-entered him and he started tugging, i carefully pulled him out attached to his first Possum :thumbs: the possum was dispached and i let all the terriers have a rag, while they were doing that the sister to the young dog that had just worked the possum dropped into the hole and started tugging and pulled another out another possum, double whammy !!! so all in all a good afternoon, Possums aren't really much of a quarry but its all good stuff for getting young dogs consistant at going to their quarry and staying with it :thumbs: secondly as a horse owner Possums carry a disease called EPM which is a neurological disease that paralyses horses, so two more dead possums is a good thing

YIs Coyotehunter

post-45474-0-19142800-1290572040_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well done coyote.h.Its good to see you have got the young ones going.I saw your post about the coons the other week and was well impressed.I must thank you again for the experience you gave me when i was over there.The offer is still there for a pup.Take care.

Well done coyote.h.Its good to see you have got the young ones going.I saw your post about the coons the other week and was well impressed.I must thank you again for the experience you gave me when i was over there.The offer is still there for a pup.Take care.

Thanks mate, it was a treat having a fella with your experience around for a change although the young lads aren't short of enthusiasm and have a better back than me :whistling: just got to try and keep them right :laugh:

as you can see Tags coming along well and the penny has fianally dropped in his sister, the other young bitch is starting to rag dead coons too she's just 10 months, then i have another young bitch (7 months) i had shipped up from Tennessee, and she's showing some interest too so hopefully by this time next year i should have one or two handy young dogs,

next time you're coming over and you have a bitch pup going i'd love to take you up on your kind offer, i don't mind sorting you out for any costs, hope your seasons going well and that your getting lots of digging in

Cheers CH