Has any one ever had a Kc dog not from working backround turn out to be a good worker!?.I know a Welsh terrier breeder who only ever shows her dogs let one go out with game keeper to see how it got on and it took to working fox like a duck to water!!.Game keeper was very impressed seen as it was only a show dog!.Do you think a kc dog can make good working dog given the correct training and time!?.

:hmm: These four work/worked well,all KC registerd. :hmm:

I agree though, get a working dog from working lines,the longer lines the better and reduce the risk of failure. :yes:

I also agree that the way you enter a terrier could effect its later performance but again the long working lines are key. :yes:

I've seen KC dogs work and work well, but why take the risk?

If I wanted an earth dog, I'd be going to see blokes who keep earth dogs. Some people will have breeds that are kc registered and as long as they work and produce well, who cares about the registration? It's only a piece of paper. A dog doesn't know it's KC registered after all. What we should be talking about is dogs that have been bred for work versus dogs that haven't, not whether they are kc registered. There's a lot of dogs that will knack foxes for fun on top, but can they stay to their job when it matters? If they can, then great....now breed them to the kc bitch that works just as well...if you can find one. The trouble with a lot of these breeds that are deemed "non-workers" is that for generations they've been bred for nothing more than looks. For every dog that's worked, there's a thousand that haven't. Even when you do find one that will work, what are the chances of it producing? I wrote about this ages ago regarding a pal of mine and a kc dog. Good individual but couldn't produce for toffee which was a real shame. I saw a lot of heartache caused by over enthusiasm concerning "recreating" this particular kc breed as a worker. Years of work gone. Seen it in the staffs too. If you are after a worker, go to other workers and cut down the odds of failure.

I think its such a shame that so many breeds of terriers from the UK are not geting the chance to do what they where originally bred to do,Manchester,Norwich,Dandie dinmont,Cairn, Glen of Imaal, Norfolk,Wire haired fox,Welsh,Scottish,Skye,Sealyham.I think breeders and owners of these breeds should be more aware of the breeds heritage and working backround.Most of these breeds are now treated no different to lap dogs and i think its a sad thing to see!!.

Guest oldskool

i bought 2 kc lakeland pups from, supposedly, working lines they were both useless... my mrs still has one as a pet and its not the slightest bit interested in doin anythin other than fight with other dogs lol..

Pedigree dogs can work, I have seen a kc lakeland do a decent job in a shallow set, 2 days later didn't want to know maybe fce was still a bit sore from the nips it took on first time out. I wouldn't want to rely on them day in day out.

like rest of hte lads say stick wit hthe proven stuff it can be difficult enough with them without taking extra risks

Celt

any dog can turn out well with the right training kc reg or not

Strange statement FK :blink: Training is important but so is breeding. This would mean if I bought a KC registered Westie and socalised it etc etc and then entered it at 18 months it would work? It may but i'd rather purchase a pup from lines that had been tested for generations and not bred for looks..........

Anyone remember a certain writer challenging to put Cavaliers against any terrier at digging hmmmmmmmm

Edited by Simoman