mike brown whippets

Guest bezza

When i went and collected my whippet pup, the lad did not in anyway, bost that they had sooty sam ect in the make up, they were just advertised as good working whippets.

When i asked to see the papers of the father and mother, i could see that sooty sam was very dominate, but his reply was, both the parents are excellent workers and i watched it on dvd, of them working and was very impressed. ;)

I have mine for rabbits-ferreting and if i wanted to take fox regularily, i would get a pup for that purpose.

Saying this, i have nowt against folks using their whippets against foxes, i have seen good whippets take fox and they do a fine job. :)

Frank.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Brown asked me to put his name and advertise the pups as from sooty sam lines when he came down to have a look at them, so I did,

why not say your pups are from this line if they are, there's nothing to be ashamed of or try to hide the fact, the new owners will find out anyway in the end if you have papers which I did,

plus a lot of people DO go looking for this line and with out mentioning it you could be losing out on a really great home for your pups, so it makes sense to me to be totally HONEST!

I own a whippet who has taken foxes,he has come off cut,but no-more than my best mates dog who is a Bed/Grey from heartbreak fell kennels.I THINK FOXES SHOULD BE LEFT FOR THE HOUNDS.BUT IF ITS IN THE DOG THEN IT IS A TERRIER CAN TAKE A FOX IN CLOSE QUARTERS.I am only interested in Rabbits/Hares better sport testing the dogs agility,Foxes are mainly a fight.

Mike's dog's I think they produce a dog with a natural staying ability,and this has carried on through the generations,but the breeding method of producing these dogs is abit wrong alot of them are line bred to close,to try and keep sooty sam,Laguna,this can only be wise for so long a time with a limited amount of genetics.This kennel does produce a fair few pups,But I never saw SOOTY SAM,but heard he were 23" to shoulder to me this is not a whippet and where can this size be justified what other dogs behind him carried that size.

I own a dog with sooty sam in him 3 times and have had some great times out hunting,racing him.He will run all day and has good determination,,the type of dog that will run itsself to death and you have to stop,but lacks early snap on the take off.Regardless the qualities of any dogs parents you have to bring it out in them.I have also known of people who have had Sooty sam bred whippets and had to re-home as pets,etc.You never seem to hear of the one that didn't make it,whether it be wrong training,etc.I MUST PERSONALLY SAY A SOOTY SAM BRED DOG BACK TO A DIFFERENT BRED DOG(LURCHER or WHIPPET) WILL PRODUCE A BETTER WORKING DOG.

Thanks Parkstone, THAT was a great reply. With that answer.... here is a question, not just to you Parkstone but to everyone; If you have pups and the parents work... is it ethical to mention names the likes of Sooty Sam if that dog is in the pedigree of the pups? How many times does a "named dog" in the pedigree need to be there for someone to say "the pups are off X" lines? :hmm: Just wondering what everyone thinks.

Anyone know who sooty sam was and what he was good at? :laugh:

Mike Brown asked me to put his name and advertise the pups as from sooty sam lines when he came down to have a look at them, so I did,

why not say your pups are from this line if they are, there's nothing to be ashamed of or try to hide the fact, the new owners will find out anyway in the end if you have papers which I did,

plus a lot of people DO go looking for this line and with out mentioning it you could be losing out on a really great home for your pups, so it makes sense to me to be totally HONEST!

WHAT WAS SOOTY SAM GOOD AT AND HOW LONG AGO DID HE DIE,IT MUST BE DONKEYS YEARS AGO.

IF ANYONE WANTS THE GAMEST HARDIEST WHIPPET GET ONE OFF MIKE.HE KNOWS WHAT HES TALKING ABOUT, AND HIS PUPS ARE THE BEST :victory:

Thanks Parkstone, THAT was a great reply. With that answer.... here is a question, not just to you Parkstone but to everyone; If you have pups and the parents work... is it ethical to mention names the likes of Sooty Sam if that dog is in the pedigree of the pups? How many times does a "named dog" in the pedigree need to be there for someone to say "the pups are off X" lines? :hmm: Just wondering what everyone thinks.

sooty sam was just a well worked dog,also well advertised at stud.Al though I have never known anyone see him work.

I have heard these whippets are very game and would tackle fox before the ban. What breeding lines are they ? Anybody got one good or bad ?

here a pic of jake" lod of the knight" with fox took single handed pre ban, jake was scared alot due to foxes but did them, i also have a son of jake who can catch them for fun run them nice and tight but cant take the bites but hopefully he will learn to hold him? all the best keith