mike brown whippets

Guest bezza

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My half whippet has now had a couple befor the ban ;) , she struggles abit but gets the job done. If the dog wants it it will have it ;)

David

in my experience most whippets will try on foxes(with in the law) but are not ideally suited to despatching them,even pedigree whippets carry terrier blood in there ancestory which gives them the desire to tackle old charlie,mine will even go on roe,given the chance! :D :whistle: and mine barring one have all got laguna blood.

I have heard these whippets are very game and would tackle fox before the ban. What breeding lines are they ? Anybody got one good or bad ?

If you have any idea about putting a whippet of any breeding onto a fox you need your head tested.yes a whippet is game enough to have a go,especially one from Mike Brown, but on its own you would have one very badly mauled or very dead dog. With another bigger hunting dog theres no problem, the whippet gets stuck in as well.Hope you never get hold of a whippet before you grow up.what age are you 12?

I have heard these whippets are very game and would tackle fox before the ban. What breeding lines are they ? Anybody got one good or bad ?

If you have any idea about putting a whippet of any breeding onto a fox you need your head tested.yes a whippet is game enough to have a go,especially one from Mike Brown, but on its own you would have one very badly mauled or very dead dog. With another bigger hunting dog theres no problem, the whippet gets stuck in as well.Hope you never get hold of a whippet before you grow up.what age are you 12?

Mate no way, i know someone who had a whippet and it took many foxes through out its life on its own. It would get and minor injury every now and then but other then that i would kill foxes no problem.

Guest oldskool

if i was out lampin and just say the night was a bit fruitless, if i came across a fox that i thought my whippet could take then i dont see the problem with it... its not hard to run the length of the beam and intervene if the whippet is struggling!!! some whippets are quite big anyway and if a terrier can learn to deal with a fox without getting damaged then i'm sure the odd whippet will learn too...

That is the difference with the Laguna line whippets

I think you'll find True Lagunas and dogs bred from some Laguna blood are getting confused here, You often see pups bred for working with Laguna llines in the add but most in reality have only a very small amount in them but it's always been seen as a good selling point.

TRUE Lagunas are small ie: under 20" (often 18-19") as they were mainly bred for showing/coursing for many Years by Mrs McKay (untill she died) to Course under rules (National Whippet Coursing Club Rules) a whippet (dog/bitch) must be under 20" at the shoulder, Her Daughter now breeds the line and conentrates mainly on showing so they are starting to get larger and I would think will get bigger in time as she now no longer needs to keep them small to conform to the coursing hight limit..

Most True bred Lagunas wouldnt have the size/weight to effectivly deal with fox.

In Reply to the last post by Parkstone.

I respect your views Parkstone, you seem like a very knowlegable dog man but really I am a little confused, how many Laguna familys are there and when is a Laguna a Laguna and when is it not.

I have a whippet dog who I imported from Mike Brown, he is a little on the large side,22'',nice size for over here, he is a great dog in my books, does every thing and more that I have asked him to do,turned out just like Mike said he would, beautifull dog smart,tough as nails, but the thing is, is he a Laguna,I have a 5 generation pedigree on him and the 5th generation is like 99% Laguna so what does that make him? being 22'' does that mean he is not a Laguna,confused, like I said how many Laguna familys are there.

By the way he has Sooty Sam several times in his Peddigree

Hi Macha,

IMO the only true Lagunas are those that are bred by Bond Gunning (shes recently changed her name after getting married and I cant remember her new name) but a lot of lurcher breeders and pedigree whippet breeders often advertise as Luguna lines yet they have very very little Luguna blood in them?.

Lagunas have always been a good selling point as they got a lot of good press in books ect.

Am I wrong in my interpretation of what Parkstone is saying... those that are racing form guidelines (under 20 inches etc?) and used for racing is the only true Laguna line? Just wondering which way he's saying as its a bit aloof in the answer. :blink: In other words saying the Mike Brown whippets aren't Laguna line?

Edited by DeanD
Guest markbrick1

ANYBODY WHO PUTS WHIPPETS ON TO FOXES IS MAD THERES A FEW HILL FOXES HERE THAT WILL GIVE A GOOD DOG A FIGHT NEVER MIND A WHIPPET THERE NOT BRED FOR IT AND THEY SHOULDNT BE SUBJECTED TO UNEASESSERY PUNISHMENT

From what I've read on other posts and boards, You have some HUGE fox in the UK. Ours don't get nearly as big... sure we may see the odd fox that has some size but its definitely not the norm. 20 pounds would be a large fox here. Now the raccoon here in the states can range from 9 to 40 plus pounds depending on where in the US. The coon are liable to do more damage than fox. In fact most people I've talked to that have worked dogs to fox will hardly admonish the fox as a test in proving a terriers hunt drive... and a 20 or 22 inch whippet is far more dog than the terriers (12 inches) that are "useful" here in the states. I think the difference here with our fox is that they are craftier than those in the UK... here its more of a challenge for dog or man just to be able to find them. Jmo

In other words saying the Mike Brown whippets aren't Laguna line

Mikes dogs are decendants of Lagunas as they have Laguna in the make up BUT IMO far to many jump on the band waggon of the Soty Sam/Laguna names to try and sell substandard pups who's parents havnt done anything that is worth selling the pups on directly.

For many years in the UK just the fact that a pup had Laguna in the for sale ad was enough to gaurentee the seller getting rid of their pups regardless of whether the parents were any good?.

in recent times it seems every other ad you see for pups states as a major selling point "BRED FROM SOOTY SAM" it's a shame those breeders have to use other peoples reputations to sell their pups.

i'm not knocking Mike or his dogs but what annoys me are those who jump on the reputation of otheres to off loads their pups, Lagunas IMO have never realy been that fantastic, they have stamina but lack pace (or most i've seen have)

(Sorry for the basic reply last night but I was on the phone trying to help someone out while typing the reply)

Thanks Parkstone, THAT was a great reply. With that answer.... here is a question, not just to you Parkstone but to everyone; If you have pups and the parents work... is it ethical to mention names the likes of Sooty Sam if that dog is in the pedigree of the pups? How many times does a "named dog" in the pedigree need to be there for someone to say "the pups are off X" lines? :hmm: Just wondering what everyone thinks.