mike brown whippets

Guest bezza

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally i reckon these dogs are being over bred from,they seem to be in every whippet advertised,if anyone tells you these whippets are taking fox then go have a look at them,because if they are then surally they will have the battle scars to prove it,i doubt they take them cleanly as a fox is as big as most of them.if you want a fox dog get a different breed,as you take a big chance getting one of these for fox,im not saying theres not fox killers out there,im just saying theres a higher percentage that doesnt than that does

do thye not get messed up etc as a fox can give out a good bite i wouldnt like to see a whippet on a big hill fox thtas fighting for his life etc

sometimes whin but they'll still have a go.it's when there's another dog loose that trouble usually crops up.

sometimes whin but they'll still have a go.it's when there's another dog loose that trouble usually crops up.

How is it trouble with another dog loose?

somtimes the fox may get a hold of one dog while they are sorting it out andthen another dog comes and gets hold of the fox and starts ragging it but the fox is still hold of the first dog this causes more injuries to dogs than it would if it was left to sort it itself ....that what i think he meens...
Guest oldskool

i know a couple of lads that kept whippets i dont know what the breeding was! they werent bought for fox but when the occassion arose they werent short of a bit of try... the foxes i saw coursed werent despatched quick enough for my liking.. although IMO, i think they would have made wonderful base dogs if breeding foxing lurchers was your intentions. my own whippet/grey used to be a demon on them, she made 24"

How is it trouble with another dog loose?

somtimes the fox may get a hold of one dog while they are sorting it out andthen another dog comes and gets hold of the fox and starts ragging it but the fox is still hold of the first dog this causes more injuries to dogs than it would if it was left to sort it itself ....that what i think he meens...

yep,i've seen it happen once,best avoided.

oldskool makes a fair point about the speed of dispatch.

i have two whippets and i've been wondering if they can kill a fox. I live in Australia where foxes are a common introduced pest. I was mainly planning on using my dogs for hares and rabbits but it's possible they will encounter the odd fox.

iv got a whippet dog who flys into fox on lamp find he rips easy though

The mother of my whippet took fox when one got in her way.

I seen the scares on her aswell, apparently, she tore into them, but personally, i would try and keep away fron foxes with whippets.

Saying this, i had a whippet x Greyhound, a few years ago, 23 inches at the shoulder, that layed into foxes and loved/lived for foxes. ;)

Frank.

The mother of my whippet took fox when one got in her way.

I seen the scares on her aswell, apparently, she tore into them, but personally, i would try and keep away fron foxes with whippets.

Saying this, i had a whippet x Greyhound, a few years ago, 23 inches at the shoulder, that layed into foxes and loved/lived for foxes. ;)

Frank.

i dont go out espeically for foxes but if one pops up its nice to know he can take it but wouldnt say whippets are really foxin dogs to thin skinned most are game enough though