My Deerhound Pup

nice looking dog mate, what are you going to be working him on?

I am going to be working him on foxes as that is what the most common feral in my area. If i go on a trip he can get some roo's.

furryferter i can't seem to get any better pics due to size restraints on this site.

Edited by glinley
It seem that you folks like that bred and cross over their, they must be a good few strains around, as it seems popular over in your neck of the woods.?

Frank.

yes they are very popular, or the staghounds are, which is a very similar type of dog

but then for some of the work you need a bigger dog

the deerhounds are not as good as one might think, the blood here is being not bred for performance in the field, most working strains are dying out

I think the Deerhound is used over here for there strong structure, and feet. My stag seems to have nice big strong feet. She has had a couple chases on some dry old ground and she seems to not have problems with them. However there is the odd Bindi she gets and needs me to pick it out for her :laugh: But if its the deerhound blood in the Staghound that makes the Stag so gentle i guess you could say i really like Deerhounds.

Are Deerhounds really keen chasers? because I cannot stop my Staghound from wanting to run, she loves to chase but she just has to wait.

She comes out ferreting but only working with nets, and she has chased a couple that slip the nets but doesnt course them far, which is good.

Is that hound from DeerandBull Kennels?

Edited by Mitch

hi there mate that pup you got there is the dead ringer for my old bitch Asher, very light in colour, and got even lighter as she got older. not surprising really as the breeder was also trowing the odd white one every few years. i hope your pup brings you as mutch joy as my old dog did ,cheers hedge hunter

Hey all just wanted to know what you think of him. I am a little confused because his litter was the usual colour (black to dark grey). He was one of the biggest in the litter and when i got him and he was a sandy brindle but he is getting lighter which i know is a common trait in deerhounds. The guy i got him off is a family friend so i did not have to pay for him. The guy said he throws this colour every now and then. The parents were fine but the male was very light grey. Once again want to know what you think of him?

Smashing pup. youre lucky. the oldest original deerhound was the lighter coloured dog. the breed standard is dark blue/grey, brindle, yellow and believe it or not sandy red.this being the really oldest breed colour.

good luck with him. :clapper:

Guest Nightwalker
Hey all just wanted to know what you think of him. I am a little confused because his litter was the usual colour (black to dark grey). He was one of the biggest in the litter and when i got him and he was a sandy brindle but he is getting lighter which i know is a common trait in deerhounds. The guy i got him off is a family friend so i did not have to pay for him. The guy said he throws this colour every now and then. The parents were fine but the male was very light grey. Once again want to know what you think of him?

Is he a genuine deerhound pup, do you have a pedigree and kennel club papers for him?

Guest oldskool
Na mate he did not come with papers.

your pup is very like my bitch molly in the avator!!! she is a deerhound cross, and when i bred her she was black now she is kinda sandy, same as yours :)

Guest Nightwalker

As far as I know the lighter colours are extinct in pure-bred deerhounds - certainly in the UK, Europe and the USA. All deerhounds are brindle, but all have predominantly grey or black overlaying coat I guess your dog may have some greyhound blood in him, but he'll be none the worse for that.

Edited by Nightwalker