why only beddy x?

the bedlington brings height, good feet, a large skull and a very good jaw also the ferosious prey drive is fonominal when they get bit it lets out a burst of aggression and just makes them want too bite back harder, they were bred too work silent and i have seen them work silent iv got a 1st cross that isnt so silent,and the bedlington coat is great either

flo 2 1/2 year old 1st cross beddy whip 20"

post-55652-0-69538900-1308213354_thumb.jpg

hunny moon 15 week old bedlington whippet grey from poachers pocket

post-55652-0-40440600-1308213400_thumb.jpg

Edited by ban is just a word

Guest born to run1083

Well i think it was more to do with the Beddy been bred to be mute while work where other terrier back then were bred to bay ( before the locator days and a terreir could only be found be his voice),

That why i think they were used to rejuduce litter wasteage, And to produce a small fast quite pot filler with a better coat and a add bit of fire,

But ya i can see what your saying about pats,lakies, cause it would be a hell of a lot easyer to find a good hard working one than a pure Beddy these days IMHO..

Bedlingtons at work,above or below are extremely vocal.

i work a two year old bedlington and the only time she is vocal is in the house.never makes a noise when working, :thumbs:

Out of interest is that a K.C. bred Beddy.

As others have said the bedlington is a very fast terrier compared to other types also I might be wrong but years ago when they used to field trial bedlingtons if they became vocal they were disqualified as others have said they should be mute. Just what I was told years ago

not a fan of beddyxs, had one was my (worst) lurcher ever. If i was going to put a terrier to a running dog, i would go pit pre ban or pat, as both are proven workers,and lots of pat's are being worked now, you dont get many beddys doing earth work now do you .?

• Like 3

theres a few bird just got pup couple days ago from digging parents, some people tend to use the big beddies dogs for lurcher breeding so dont lose to much height but no way they fit below ground, if was me would rather lose few inches and have beddy sire that has been work properly below ground on proper quarry.

theres a few bird just got pup couple days ago from digging parents, some people tend to use the big beddies dogs for lurcher breeding so dont lose to much height but no way they fit below ground, if was me would rather lose few inches and have beddy sire that has been work properly below ground on proper quarry.

:thumbs:

not a fan of beddyxs, had one was my (worst) lurcher ever. If i was going to put a terrier to a running dog, i would go pit pre ban or pat, as both are proven workers,and lots of pat's are being worked now, you dont get many beddys doing earth work now do you .?

what was wrong with your beddy x? just out of interest?

Guest born to run1083

Bedlingtons field trialling? Any more info please?

Someone years ago a traveller said that there used to be beddy comps where you would have piping and the idea was the get the strippy fella to bolt the fastest with out barking or jibbing. It might of been a traveller sport same as cock fighting as it was a Gypsey who told me this. Obviously nothing official prob used wrong words, not the same type as the show ponies do with the gun dogs lol

well, was pig headed,very hard mouth,very hard to train, and crap feet. As you prob no with my posts that ive put up on here, that ive had other xs (colliexs,bullxs, bitsa, none ped whippets.} And all these other xs were dead easy to train, and very easy to bond with :thumbs: My 2 now Bryn + Tod have been great to train, ok Bryn is a 1x colliegrey and yes they are easy to train.But Tod as been just as easy really, maybe i dropped on a bad dog,? but it put me off beddyxs thats for sure.!

well, was pig headed,very hard mouth,very hard to train, and crap feet. As you prob no with my posts that ive put up on here, that ive had other xs (colliexs,bullxs, bitsa, none ped whippets.} And all these other xs were dead easy to train, and very easy to bond with :thumbs: My 2 now Bryn + Tod have been great to train, ok Bryn is a 1x colliegrey and yes they are easy to train.But Tod as been just as easy really, maybe i dropped on a bad dog,? but it put me off beddyxs thats for sure.!

shame that , as i love beddies and in lurcher crosses

The one thing not mentioned is a beddy x can have a brilliant nose hence the reason it makes such a good ferreting companion, i dont see why anyone would breed one for the coat as a beddys linty coat offers very little in the way of protection, beddy xs tend to breed very typey. The two ive owned were hard to train but worth the end result. tempremant can be great and can be fiery little b******s. Remember in the 80s kerry blues were being crossed with whippets but i havent seen one of these for years. :big_boss:

• Like 1

You dont see many Bedlington/Greyound around these days it more Bedlington/Whippets they are both good lurcher types :thumbs:

This is my Beddyxwhippetxgrey, around 24tts and very strong willed but only 1 1/2. I'm going to knuckle down with his training and get some help from BIRD...spoke to him last night and he is a top bloke :thumbs:

Mart.

post-1969-0-98202900-1308248120_thumb.jpg

Edited by MartMc

Im on my second beddy x now

first one was beddy/whippet x grey - couldnt wish for a better dog,

she was so easy a child could handle her - unfortunaly she had to be pts a couple of months ago age 17.

The one i have now beddy x whippet/grey - firley easy dog, training has been a bit harder with her

as she does occasionaly go deaf, shes only 11 months though, bit of a live wire

but yet again, nothing that cant be managed - tbh so far i cant fault her,

she will work with me - but is easily destracted.

To answer the origional question.

the beddy x is a virsatile dog and most can turn there hand to most things

fox,rabbits, rats and a lot take to water quite redaly and would do feather,

they have a good nose on them - and most do have good feet and coat,

temperment is second to non - especaly living with a family,

they are quite happy to curl up in front of the fire

but get them out in the field and they are switched on,

my current youngster out side does everything at 100 mile an hour - but one whistle from me and shes by my side in seconds

thats unless shes playing with another dog,

there also not as hot headed like some other breeds, but do have that fire there when its needed.

Oh and there are quite a few working beddys - you just have to know where to look.