Will my Hobs be too big!?

Hi everyone! :bye:

I'm new to this ferreting malarkey but very interested, I was just wondering, ive got 2 6 month old hob's and they're massive!

I personally think if they had a fight against my Lab that they'd be victorious! (but just kidding I wouldn't do that! don't fret!) :D

So i was wondering if i put them down the hole, i think they will probably leave me in the "Lay up" situation, so anything i can do to try and prevent this?

Some people sugessted muzzles, and stuffing them full of food, or even teeth taking out!

Any advice gladly received

P.S any one has Mk3 collar for sale let me know ;)

Tommy :thumbs:

Right firstly the folk that suggested muzzles or taking teeth out need to be buried in a shallow grave with a .22 slug behind the ear. It's very much not on. To muzzle a ferret leaves in defenseless if it comes up against something a bit tougher than a rabbit - a rat, squirrel or mink perhaps, all of which are often found to ground. Also if you lost them they would starve to death. Snapping teeth off is even worse, how would you feel if i got a pair of pliers and snapped your teeth, it'd f*****g hurt no? Very cruel and it will make your ferrets irritable due to the pain and will eventually lead to them dying due to tooth decay. Also it doesnt wrk as a mate of mine has a rescued hob that some twat snapped the teeth on and he kills away happily. Feeding is a pretty good way of reducing the chance of a kill in, not over feeding but just a decent meal the night before and a light breakfast for them (just like you would have before a days work).

At the end of the day some ferrets, especially decent sized hobs will just sometimes kill in. it's just the nature of the game. Get your self a locator and a decent spade and be prepared to dig, thats just life. You also need to use you head, if you discover your ferret kills and stays then don't go entering it into sets where you cannot dig, i.e under concrete or massive tree roots, here a smaller jill may come into her own.

You can also try whistling them when you feed and they will associate this whistle and sometimes you can call them out if you need.

At the end of the day some ferrets kill, some don't and some stay with the kill and some don't.

Atb mate, Jai.

All The Best! THe whistling thing is a good idea buuuuuuuuuut doesnt always work due to the depth of the warren etc, but can be really helpful if you lose them above ground also, banging a stick at the hole can bring them out if digging is impossible, apart from that it's just patience. But I really would suggest a locator and the addition of a small but strong type jill to your team, it's nice to have varying tools for varying jobs.

I might invest in a jill, i want to get a nice coloured one, e.g. polecat or sandy/champagne

But i've heard of a breed called Angora ferret that has long hair! that sounds cool!

Also do they have a small breed of ferret anywhere?

And i have two brother Hob's who never fight, could I introduce a jill?

would she best to be older/younger?

should i get them spaded?

Right - stear WELL clear of angora ferrets, firstly they are about 200 quid and purely for pets. They cannot suckle their own young, have massive genetic problems and should all be destroyed. They should NEVER have been brought into existance and were created to make money from a dopey american pet market. Color is far far far less important than getting a kit from good working lines, look for a decent litter and i'm sure you will find a color that will catch your eye poleys and sandys and a good idea. When i say small ferret i mean just that, not a micro or mini ferret just a regular ferret bred out of a smallish jill and hob. Introducing your jill to your two hobs will be fine, but they may fight over her during the breeding season (spring) and will obviously try to mate her. I'd say same age is a good place to start as NO ONE sells a decent working ferret. I would keep the jill intact and get the one hob vacetomised so he can take her out of season.

Any more q's feel free to pm me!

Ok thanks for the help!

Cheer's for the confidence boost too! telling me im F****D, thanks for that!

I'm not gonna get a Angora, they look smelly! i wouldn't mind a greyhound ferret! (the small ones)

But i'm gonna get a jill Hooray for me!

Right the plan is, cause they live in the shed, and my dad's kinda scared of them, not to tell him and just say i had it ages ago! so if anyone in the street say's has Thomas wright bough a jill off you recently, you guys know what to say! :thumbs:

I want a Tiny Jill!

Erm Also Guy's... i don't really want kits.. so will i have to get the 2 boys done, or her done?

And if anyone know's anyone with a collar im still looking lads :)

your basicly f****d lol i prefair usen jills i have 3 jills and 1 hob i just you my big hob for rubbles so a think your best geting a jill or 2

What a useful post. How old are you 15? Plenty of folk use hobs to great effect.

Ok thanks for the help!

Cheer's for the confidence boost too! telling me im F****D, thanks for that!

I'm not gonna get a Angora, they look smelly! i wouldn't mind a greyhound ferret! (the small ones)

But i'm gonna get a jill Hooray for me!

Right the plan is, cause they live in the shed, and my dad's kinda scared of them, not to tell him and just say i had it ages ago! so if anyone in the street say's has Thomas wright bough a jill off you recently, you guys know what to say! :thumbs:

I want a Tiny Jill!

Erm Also Guy's... i don't really want kits.. so will i have to get the 2 boys done, or her done?

And if anyone know's anyone with a collar im still looking lads :)

Aye mate a jill is always a handy addition. Don't go for anything too small though or they can get kicked about by rabbits and find it difficult to shift them. A nice smallish/regular little jill would be ideal, what i would consider 'normal' jill size.

Greyhound ferrets are not normaly that small but have a defined curve shaped back which gives them the look of a greyhound, many will debate that this 'type' actually exists. I have a jill that could be described as such, but her litter sister would not be. So who knows. Don't get caught up on colors or names, just look for a good working line.

If your not wanting kits EVER i would suggest having her done as then she wont come into season and you wont have to take her out using either a vac hob or the jill jab, so it will save you time, money and hassle in the long term, or like i said get one of your hobs vac'd and use him to take her out of season.

I think instead of posting about them on here i'd be out trying them to see what they actually do then take it from there mate .

Lad doesn't have a locator so is worried they will kill in and he might lose them and they are only kits, so i think asking questions is fair enough.

By 'take her out of season' i mean just that. She will come into season in spring and will stay that way until either you take her to the vets and jab her, mate her and have kits or best of all mate her with a vac hob which will stop her being in season but will also not result in kits. At this point you would have to remove the entire male. The hobs may fight during this time any way, but may not as they are brothers.