need some help

shock collars a waste of time and money.the dog doesnt know what the shocks for and it might just scare her enough that she bolts away and you never get her to come back to you.i found that a whistle works best.i dont use it for anything other than recall.and i always reward the pup for a quick return.that way they learn to associate returning to you as something pleasant also something thats in it for them,shes till only a pup and is still learning, work on your recall and she will be fine :thumbs:

I have tried the treats, squeaky toys, long leads, pretending to find something, they all work with varying degrees of failure, they only work when she doesnt have a quarry. When she gets her head down there is only 2 ways to stop her,

1 follow her and let her get to whats she is after.

2 let her work and hope you can get a grip of her,

just hope they calm down as they get older

It's a terrier.

Get a spaniel.

Never had a particularly obedient one yet.

Some will listen and some will listen when they want to.

FTB

not looking for a FTC just a terrier that I dont have to travel 14mile to get back

Spend a few weeks walking her were theres no cover and get her use to returning to you more, and you can call her back when shes getting too far a head or behind. Young terriers do tend to go hunting off for a while but do get better. If you do lose her rather than looking for her stay where you lost sight of her as this is where they often return to walking off looking for them often takes you further away. Just to add try and make her realize your part of the hunt, if she thinks she needs to be 100 yards or more a head to find quarry this is where you will have problems.

Edited by Plong

Hi there,

I have a jrt bitch and she used to do it all the time, i got a whistle for one of my other dogs and this works a treat for the little tear away and it all just fell into place, i seem to use it for her more than anything. I've also noticed i can let her mooch and still carry on walking when i have the whistle, this helps alot since she is a short ass dog and when she cant see me thats when she also gets lost. I use three pips for the recall and then every couple of seconds one pip just so she knows were i am. I have never used treats or anything else and she's great now! :thumbs:

Ecostorm...