Pet and Worker?

What are peoples views on this subject? Having a dog which is a pet and a worker?

My dog lives in the house, plays with the missus and my little girl etc.

How do you think this will effect him as a worker as opposed to being an outdoor dog that is kenneled and purely used for working?

On one side of the coin I think it could could make him a better worker due to the bond that I am able to create with him spending so much time with him. And I've read that they "just know" when they are being a pet and when they are in the field with a job to do.

On the other hand I've read that pets do not make workers, they get accustomed to the easy housepet lifestyle and will not feel the need to "earn there keep".

I will be trying my best with my pup over the coming years so will find out for sure. And personally I don't doubt that I will make a working dog out of him.

But interested in opinions...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wheather your dog is kept indoors or outside the most important aspect is to bond with the dog. Socialization is paramount.   If you keep the dog kenneled or inside the house for long periods of ti

me dog lives in the house with us he's good as gold with the grandkids,we got 2 cats which he never bothers with but soon as we go out he chasnge's altogether he's only just coming up to 6 month old b

i don't know about affecting their working ability but one thing i would say is that it is a lot harder on those concerned to "lose a pet"as opposed to losing a kennelled worker,we all know its a toug

Posted Images

It does not affect the ability in a dog one bit in my opinion, ive had it said about my big dog before, they said he would be soft, but he has proved them wrong now :D . MoChara IS a big softie.. but that all changes when he see`s you putting camo gear on.. :laugh: Nicole.

What are peoples views on this subject? Having a dog which is a pet and a worker?

How do you think this will effect him as a worker as opposed to being an outdoor dog that is kenneled and purely used for working?

On one side of the coin I think it could could make him a better worker due to the bond that I am able to create with him spending so much time with him. And I've read that they "just know" when they are being a pet and when they are in the field with a job to do.

On the other hand I've read that pets do not make workers, they get accustomed to the easy housepet lifestyle and will not feel the need to "earn there keep".

I will be trying my best with my pup over the coming years so will find out for sure. And personally I don't doubt that I will make a working dog out of him.

A dog is a dog is a dog, he dont know jack shit, he dont understand anything bout earning his keep, how can he know he's a pet, how can he even know he's a dog, your projecting human terms into a canine mind,

A dog just needs to feel safe, anything after that is wasted on him, in fact a dog kept outside will be more grateful for the little bit of attention you give him when he does get out,,rather than the pampered pooch inside who gets all the attention,

The mutt kept inside will learn the your subtle signs that you dont even know your projecting,quicker,,but may not be as motivated to learn through treats and praise , both of which are readly available inside

whereas the dog kept out, will work in training for praise and treats and attention much quicker,,but may not understand your finer details of expression , if ya get my drift,,

Either way , your feeding him , your dog, your choice,,best of luck with him,,

My dogs are pets and workers. They live to work and have never lacked prey drive or committment. The only problem I have is from walking with others who have pet dogs. On the whole, people don't tend to expect the same discipline from pets. If you walk with a few friends the friends tend to chat while the dogs hoon about. The dogs have a great time and it's lovely and sociable, but the dogs get used to hunting up and belting about without supervision. I've been embarrassed recently by one of my dogs doing exactly the same on a ferreting trip - it took me a while to get him back under manners and it really showed how sloppy I'd been with him. Once he settled it was back to business as usual but I felt I'd let him down - he's a good, well disciplined dog and I'd let things slip during the summer.

I don't know the solution - I like walking with my friends so don't want to give it up, but I don't want my dogs developing bad habits either. If you're not going to be walking with mates who don't work their dogs, however, like the others have said, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Wheather your dog is kept indoors or outside the most important aspect is to bond with the dog. Socialization is paramount.

If you keep the dog kenneled or inside the house for long periods of time without training it's bread and butter skills then it will not know no better and will end up a problem dog.

Training the dog to work for you is totally a different ball game. Get the bonding, socialization and basc skills covered first.

When this is done then the answer to your question will be, no it makes no difference what so ever.

• Like 2

pet and worker is perfect combination. All ours do both. Dogs do not understannd the concept of "earning their keep" so dont even allow that thought enter your head!!

Guest LancsUK

My lurcher bitch get's mothered like f*ck off my mam and she lives indoors, plays with the kids in the garden etc but this has no effect on her when she is working. As I was always told, They know when it's play time and when it's work time. :)

me dog lives in the house with us he's good as gold with the grandkids,we got 2 cats which he never bothers with but soon as we go out he chasnge's altogether he's only just coming up to 6 month old but he's keen as can be he had another rabbit only this morning soon as he got home he was back to his usual playfull soppy old self.

• Like 1

A dog is a dog is a dog, he dont know jack shit, he dont understand anything bout earning his keep, how can he know he's a pet, how can he even know he's a dog, your projecting human terms into a canine mind,

A dog just needs to feel safe, anything after that is wasted on him, in fact a dog kept outside will be more grateful for the little bit of attention you give him when he does get out,,rather than the pampered pooch inside who gets all the attention,

The mutt kept inside will learn the your subtle signs that you dont even know your projecting,quicker,,but may not be as motivated to learn through treats and praise , both of which are readly available inside

whereas the dog kept out, will work in training for praise and treats and attention much quicker,,but may not understand your finer details of expression , if ya get my drift,,

Either way , your feeding him , your dog, your choice,,best of luck with him,,

spot on, and out side there coat 100 times better than inside :thumbs: