Doe and Tripplets

Well i was out in the afternoon for a change and saw a doe with tripplets .After a long watch it was decided to take out a buck kid and the smallest Doe kid this should leave the big doe with a good quality kid to bring on.

THIS IS THE KID THAT WAS LEFT LOOKS LIKE THE BAD WINTER DIDNT DOE THIS ONE ANY HARM

Doeineaglesham.jpg

th_doestwo014.jpg

THIS IS VIDEO BUT NOT THAT GOOD QUALITY

shotplacement.jpg

It is legal foxdropper no worry mate these are all dependant.The landowner wants to see a reduction and we have put him off untill now after a chat it was decided i would take only the two kids and leave the one big doe with the best kid. Not the nicest job but it gets the numbers visually down while hopefully still keeping the core population strong.

doestwo011.jpg

Here is a view over glasgow always make sure you have a good back stop :icon_eek:

Outofnowhere could you please send me the BASC officer that told you is was against the law please as i will need to have words with him. This would make me a criminal and that woudnt do now would it.

Cassshantia no you cant shoot doe kids or does out of season. But in Scotland a kid is a kid the sex dose not matter. It is best practice to take out kids first and then the doe this way if the doe runs off she will be ok if you shoot the doe and cant get the kids at this time of year they will not do to well and might even die so its a welfare issue. Please remember that doe season in Scotland starts on the 21st of oct. :thumbs:

Edited by wireviz

Biologically they are not dependant on the mother after they are weaned but the kid needs its doe for the first winter of its life to show it where the food sources are and when they are available ,something passed down through the roe generations no doubt .Take away the dam too early and most often the kid dosnt amount to much ,even dying .Legally a deer can be shot at any age providing its in season in England but morally many prefere to see them at least full grown .In Scotland however ,where the tempatures are much lower than the South ,many roe kids do not survive their first winter and as Wirevis has stated ,it then becomes a welfare issue to take out a few weaker specimens to allow a doe to concentrate on a better kid .This is one part of the DSC courses that has bettered the welfare of deer in Scotland .

• Like 1

Biologically they are not dependant on the mother after they are weaned but the kid needs its doe for the first winter of its life to show it where the food sources are and when they are available ,something passed down through the roe generations no doubt .Take away the dam too early and most often the kid dosnt amount to much ,even dying .Legally a deer can be shot at any age providing its in season in England but morally many prefere to see them at least full grown .In Scotland however ,where the tempatures are much lower than the South ,many roe kids do not survive their first winter and as Wirevis has stated ,it then becomes a welfare issue to take out a few weaker specimens to allow a doe to concentrate on a better kid .This is one part of the DSC courses that has bettered the welfare of deer in Scotland .

Thanks :thumbs: I understand the biology part but really I wondered if they had put an age on the point where the kid is legally dependant or is it the case that within its first year it is still classed as dependant?