new pup dead.

Lepto can cause internal bleeding just like Parvo. There are other diseases that can also produce similar symptoms. Conclusive proof would be with an autopsy.

I wouldn't get a pup for at least 12 months. The viral load (how much infection is present)on your premises if it is parvo will be at phenomenally high levels and you cannot sterilise your property. You can reduce the amount of viral load with various disinfectants but the best method is time.

If you do get another puppy you will need to ensure it is vaccinated and ideally the breeder retains it until immunity is acquired.

Lepto vaccinations are controversial in regards to how effective they are. I wouldn't be quick to rule out that the puppy wasn't vaccinated, only the original poster should know?

However, I think it is in very bad taste for a breeder to treat you like you have been treated. The reason being is the pups symptoms developed within an incubation period where it could of been infected at either premises. Seeing as though you have gone to the expense of veterinary treatment only to end up with a dead pup, I would personally think it far more reasonable to return the buyer his money or a pup in the future like detailed above.

The person commenting about not having vaccinations, I appreciate that the early strains of parvo virus most dogs have some acquired immunity to but there are strains where there is no acquired immunity. Furthermore, by you not vaccinating your not just putting your own dogs at risk but everyone elses. The disease is more likely to mutate in your dogs into a strain where there is neither acquired immunity or vaccination for. This is one disease I've touched on. Vaccinatons cover a wide range of fatal diseases and it's the likes of those who don't vaccinate who give these diseases opportunity to mutate faster and they also give certain diseases the opportunity to cross over species. e.g. Lepto can be passed to humans from dogs.

In a perfect world, all dogs would be vaccinated initially and titre tested annually there after. The titre testing tests for immunity and one would only give boosters specific to those diseases to which the dog has insufficient immunity to. Unfortunately such testing can be a costly affair and most UK vets have it drummed into their heads that all annual boosters are needed, which is not the case.

good post. :thumbs:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lepto can cause internal bleeding just like Parvo. There are other diseases that can also produce similar symptoms. Conclusive proof would be with an autopsy.   I wouldn't get a pup for at least 12

FFS , brought a pup , had something called Lepto . Jesus , dont you know anything ??? At 14 weeks it should be innoculated . Its plain Irresponsibility , between you and the seller . YOU should have

Posted Images

FFS , brought a pup , had something called Lepto . Jesus , dont you know anything ??? At 14 weeks it should be innoculated . Its plain Irresponsibility , between you and the seller . YOU should have had it done , OR HE sould have had it done , either way between you both it should have had its needles . THIS MAKES ME SICK , - the girlfriend is cut up , but basically i want another pup .. :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

TOSSER

• Like 1

The breeder was obviously a shitbag keeping unvaccinated pups til that age, if he couldn't sell them by 10wks they should've been jabbed. You've learnt a hard lesson mate & if I had a pup here I'd gladly give you it for free. I'm sure someone can help you out, there's plenty folk breeding who can't find homes for all their pups.

Dogsbollocks58, the lad has just lost his pup & if you're trying to sell him one you're a f*****g arsehole. If you're offering to gift him one I apologise :thumbs:

Why not take the time to find out if he's trying to sell him one before you run your mouth off?:wallbash:

Lepto is the "L" in the 5 way puppy/booster jabs ... DHLPP (Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza and Parvo) ...so if the pup was jabbed at all, it would have been jabbed for it. At 14 weeks it "should" have recieved probably 2 jabs. Over here we normally jab a pup every 3 weeks from about 7 weeks on to 16 weeks or so, because the studies on the actual viability of jabs is frightening ... they have about a 30% viability rate simply due to manufacture and shipping errors.

We NEVER bring a new dog on our yard, or even ALLOW someone to bring their dogs here, if they aren't jabbed, period.

I know the cost of jabs there is very different from here, we can buy a tray of twenty five 5 in 1 jabs including overnight shipping for about 30 quid, and I know a lot of vets charge 30 quid just for one jab! But that is a necessary cost and your duty if you have dogs.

IMO anyone who DOESN'T jab is a f*****g idiot.

cheers everyone for the replies ill try and reply but 50 is quite a big number.they did check for parvo...but it was definately lepto.bleeding both ends inflamed liver,then it moved on 2 his kidneys and shut them down then the next organ.the vet couldnt keep up he went down so fast.the white mill vet is one of the best around here and cost isnt an issue.we were acting on getting his jabs, and then this happened we only had him a week.we dont have many rats here i cant say we dont have any because u simply cant get rid of them all but im out everynight with the 410...our dog was kept inside and never went out due to the injections not being done.our vet told us the disease is in the blood for 7 - 10 days and then in the next 7 - 14 days starts to show signs.there simply wasnt anything we could do, he could have been injected against lepto but only lasts 3 or 4 months,i have contacted the breeder because the carrier doesnt necessarily die from it just passes it on and he said he'll look into it.he dont care though hes got my money.i bought him from dannaway in sittingbourne.the guy bred terriers, labs, spaniels and bull greys.heres a link to the ad where i got him from.

http://www.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-adverts.showadvert/index-1032985584/1e66aae3.html

thanks for all your advice comments and kind offers and as soon as my girlfriend is ready ill get back to you for a new dog.hell never be replaced but only missed and were sorry this has happened.

The breeder was obviously a shitbag keeping unvaccinated pups til that age, if he couldn't sell them by 10wks they should've been jabbed. You've learnt a hard lesson mate & if I had a pup here I'd gladly give you it for free. I'm sure someone can help you out, there's plenty folk breeding who can't find homes for all their pups.

Dogsbollocks58, the lad has just lost his pup & if you're trying to sell him one you're a f*****g arsehole. If you're offering to gift him one I apologise :thumbs:

Why not take the time to find out if he's trying to sell him one before you run your mouth off?:wallbash:

Why don't you read my last sentence before you join in arsehole :thumbs:

Why don't you read my last sentence before you join in arsehole :thumbs:

The damage was done before your last sentence clown.:tongue2::thumbs:

thats correct it is a form of weils disease the vet explained it in those terms and said there was nothing more i could of done even if i spotted it any signs earlier it had hold of him.she said she can prove the jestation period to show to the breeder to prove hes in the wrong.its not only that its the fact hes breeding allsorts of dogs and if one of the dogs are carrying this then people are going to lose out all over the place and its obvious the breeder is to tight to pay for the puppies jabs or at least the 1st,he told me the dogs are born outside and live outside untill theyre sold.i didnt know this until yesterday when i phoned him.

hi all.the stroy goes...i bought a 14 week old bull greyhound puppy a week ago.he seemed fine at first, but this weekend on saturday evening started being sick and wouldnt eat.sunday he had gotten worse and kept us up most of the night. at half 12 sunday lunch he bought up some blood and the vet was called,she said to feed boiled chicken and give him as much water as we could get in him.he wasnt having any of it and we had to syringe water in2 his mouth. by the evening he was passing blood both ends and we was really concerned through the night we got him to the vet and they kept him in on a drip.this morning i phoned to see how he was and said not much had changed... she called back at 10 and said she went to assess him and he started fitting and that she called to ask to put him asleep.but died while she was on the phone to me.im gutted it turns out he had something called Leptospirosis.the vet said he had it a while.i phoned the breeder and told him this as i only had him a week.he didnt give a toss to be fair.

my girlfriend is more cut up about this than i am. but if anybody knows of anyone selling bull greyhound pups please let me know in hope it might cheer her up a bit, i dont want to travel to far though.cheers jan.

im sorry to hear of your pup i lost my bull terrier to weils disease it shows itself over a couple of days ie the dog was off colour i debated wether to take her to the vet but she pulled round and looked spot on again two weeks later she took on a yellow appearance i rushed her to the vet but it was to late,you have to catch it as soon as it shows if you dont it's to late. she didnt pass any blood it sounds like parvo either way innoculations deal with both,i hope you find another pup.

If your going to get another pup get one thats had its jabs a good month before you take it on id not be happy with the vets diagnosis and id be carefull getting another pup told my mate the same when his died a bit back got a pup it cost 500 quid to keep it alive after it caught the same bug now its stunted and no good never will be with that much took out of it so young think carefully atb.