on the back of a bad flight last night

well after taking 2 very good friends of mine out for a flight down the marsh last night and coming off about half an hour earlier than normal because there was nothing about , then only to see around 500 to 700 hundred pinks go over where we're sat 10 minutes earlier and about 35 yards up was gut wrenching to say the least .....

well i sat at home last night thinking about going back to the same spot from last night , i got the tide book out and worked the tide out and it was only a 5.5 tide and at 2 am .Now its around trip of 50 miles for me to go back to the same spot , so i thought i would give it a miss in the morning and go tomorrow night with my 2 friends again because they could not make the morning and we stood a better chance of getting under them at night flight ....

so then came the thought of where to go in the morning for a flight , well over the last 2 seasons i have not done as much wildfowling as i would have liked to have done due to work and my other hobbies ,so i told myself at the begining of this season i had to get myself down more this year ..i sat thinking for a bit i then decided to go out to the front of my local marsh and sit out on the flood water with a long line out and a dozen silhouette's out on the mud .

well 3.45 am soon came around , i was up and dressed and down for a cuppa and then out to the runs to get the young dog out when i got there , there was my old mate murphy sat at the front of his run tail wagging , i decided at the beginning of the season to semi retire murphy because he is 9 years old and believe me he has done his fair share of wildfowling both on the foreshore and inland .so i said come son you can come to for a walk ....

well we set off to the marsh all 3 of us listening to the radio on the way , we got to the car park and out we all got, the boys went and did their bit, while i got kitted up . one whistle and they were back , and off we set to our spot , now i'm getting older... i like to take my time and not rush to get to were i'm going , so i decided to walk around some of the big creeks you have to cross to get to our spot ....it would take me about 20 minutes longer but i left in good time so no bother .....

when i got to our spot i could see there was plenty of water still about, so i put the long line out and silhouettes out on the mud and got in the creek with the boys murphy know's the drill, he just picked his spot curled up and that was him sorted, now the young gun as i call him thats a different story. this is the only problem i'm having with him keeping in the creek and keeping him down ,he's so excited and just wants to please all the time . but he did settle in the end ..

it started to break light and i could hear all the waders starting to call and move , i loaded up the gun and sat listening and looking 15 minutes had past and it was light enough to shoot ,then came a bunch of small duck teal i thought , they saw the decoys and headed straight up to me , i was up and 2 fell to my first shot and 1 with my second , 1 with my third ...bloody hell i thought

whats up with me , i dont know who was out the creek first me or the dogs ...

i put the young dog onto the one's in the water and the old boy to the 1 that had dropped on top...... both straight out and back to me and then out went the young dog again to fetch another out the water and once more out again ...

great start i said to the dogs , we got back in the creek murphy went back to his spot again and me trying to settle the you dog again ..

i had only just got the gun loaded again and a bunch of wigeon could be heard whistling as they were flighting over the water about 5 yards up , i started whistling but they did not want to know and passed , while i was watching them and trying to whistle them in , i did not see 3 mallard trying to land in with the silhouettes on the mud 25 yards out , i was up and shouted

to flare them , i took 3 shots and dropped 3 mallard , i let the young dog fetch all 3 and then got him in and settled again while murphy just lifted his head and looked as if to say yep! you got a lot to learn mate yet ...

again i loaded the gun up again , then there it was the sound of "PINKS" i spun around to see around 1000 pinks lifting off the mud and heading straight towards me SHIT i thought , i was down in the creek again unloaded the gun and loaded up with heavy shot and just sat there with my head up my arse waiting for them ...

i could hear the noise getting louder and louder , i took a look only to see they were plenty high enough to be shooting at bummer i thought and i just watched them turn into dots in the distance ., i switched loads again and waited for more ducks a single mallard came from the right of me around 40yards on the limit really for steel but i was up and it fell to my second shot but only a broken wing , i was out with both dogs and down to the waters edge it was a diver but it showed itself again and i shot it with a heavy shot shell. murphy was out like a shot and it was a good retrieve for him with the tide running away fast now ....

time was getting on and i thought to myself i would pack up and start heading back to the bank , so i went to get the camera out of my rucksack for a few pics of the dogs and the set up i had, so it would give some of you lads an idea of how the silhouettes look on the mud and the long line in the water ... but when i got to my rucksack to get my camera out it was not there like a plum i had left it on the front seat of my truck and was hoping it would still be there when i got back ....

i started to pack up and i always keep my gun close to me so if there are any ducks come close for a shot its in grabbing distance ,well this morning this so happened 2 wigeon came over the top of and well up but not out of range, i took 3 shots and they both fell and they were good clean kills .. i am well impressed with this RIO STEEL at the moment , i have been using winchester drylock for last few years but it is getting hard to get hold of now , so i have heard nothing but great stuff about RIO STEEL so i thought i would give it a go .....

well i packed up and headed back to the bank with the boys and my bag limit of 10 ducks . it took me about 3/4 of an hour to get back to the bank with me kept stopping and taking a look at waders and wildfowl on the move over the mud , when i got back to the truck the camera was still there and i did take one pic of the bag i got , so i'm sorry there is not alot to show of what was a red letter flight for me this morning on the back of what was a bad flight for 3 of us last night but thats how the wildfowling game is ,ducks and geese can be there one day and be gone the next ....

, i hope you have enjoyed my my write up ,also i hope i have not bored you to death with it too ... so happy hunting lads and i hope you are having a good start to the season like me ....

Photo0020.jpg

cracking write up wag :thumbs:

we missed some geese yesterday aswell so i can empathise with you there mate

the rio steel are the buisness aren't they :thumbs:

hope your season continues to be every bit as good

all the best

sean

well after taking 2 very good friends of mine out for a flight down the marsh last night and coming off about half an hour earlier than normal because there was nothing about , then only to see around 500 to 700 hundred pinks go over where we're sat 10 minutes earlier and about 35 yards up was gut wrenching to say the least .....

well i sat at home last night thinking about going back to the same spot from last night , i got the tide book out and worked the tide out and it was only a 5.5 tide and at 2 am .Now its around trip of 50 miles for me to go back to the same spot , so i thought i would give it a miss in the morning and go tomorrow night with my 2 friends again because they could not make the morning and we stood a better chance of getting under them at night flight ....

so then came the thought of where to go in the morning for a flight , well over the last 2 seasons i have not done as much wildfowling as i would have liked to have done due to work and my other hobbies ,so i told myself at the begining of this season i had to get myself down more this year ..i sat thinking for a bit i then decided to go out to the front of my local marsh and sit out on the flood water with a long line out and a dozen silhouette's out on the mud .

well 3.45 am soon came around , i was up and dressed and down for a cuppa and then out to the runs to get the young dog out when i got there , there was my old mate murphy sat at the front of his run tail wagging , i decided at the beginning of the season to semi retire murphy because he is 9 years old and believe me he has done his fair share of wildfowling both on the foreshore and inland .so i said come son you can come to for a walk ....

well we set off to the marsh all 3 of us listening to the radio on the way , we got to the car park and out we all got, the boys went and did their bit, while i got kitted up . one whistle and they were back , and off we set to our spot , now i'm getting older... i like to take my time and not rush to get to were i'm going , so i decided to walk around some of the big creeks you have to cross to get to our spot ....it would take me about 20 minutes longer but i left in good time so no bother .....

when i got to our spot i could see there was plenty of water still about, so i put the long line out and silhouettes out on the mud and got in the creek with the boys murphy know's the drill, he just picked his spot curled up and that was him sorted, now the young gun as i call him thats a different story. this is the only problem i'm having with him keeping in the creek and keeping him down ,he's so excited and just wants to please all the time . but he did settle in the end ..

it started to break light and i could hear all the waders starting to call and move , i loaded up the gun and sat listening and looking 15 minutes had past and it was light enough to shoot ,then came a bunch of small duck teal i thought , they saw the decoys and headed straight up to me , i was up and 2 fell to my first shot and 1 with my second , 1 with my third ...bloody hell i thought

whats up with me , i dont know who was out the creek first me or the dogs ...

i put the young dog onto the one's in the water and the old boy to the 1 that had dropped on top...... both straight out and back to me and then out went the young dog again to fetch another out the water and once more out again ...

great start i said to the dogs , we got back in the creek murphy went back to his spot again and me trying to settle the you dog again ..

i had only just got the gun loaded again and a bunch of wigeon could be heard whistling as they were flighting over the water about 5 yards up , i started whistling but they did not want to know and passed , while i was watching them and trying to whistle them in , i did not see 3 mallard trying to land in with the silhouettes on the mud 25 yards out , i was up and shouted

to flare them , i took 3 shots and dropped 3 mallard , i let the young dog fetch all 3 and then got him in and settled again while murphy just lifted his head and looked as if to say yep! you got a lot to learn mate yet ...

again i loaded the gun up again , then there it was the sound of "PINKS" i spun around to see around 1000 pinks lifting off the mud and heading straight towards me SHIT i thought , i was down in the creek again unloaded the gun and loaded up with heavy shot and just sat there with my head up my arse waiting for them ...

i could hear the noise getting louder and louder , i took a look only to see they were plenty high enough to be shooting at bummer i thought and i just watched them turn into dots in the distance ., i switched loads again and waited for more ducks a single mallard came from the right of me around 40yards on the limit really for steel but i was up and it fell to my second shot but only a broken wing , i was out with both dogs and down to the waters edge it was a diver but it showed itself again and i shot it with a heavy shot shell. murphy was out like a shot and it was a good retrieve for him with the tide running away fast now ....

time was getting on and i thought to myself i would pack up and start heading back to the bank , so i went to get the camera out of my rucksack for a few pics of the dogs and the set up i had, so it would give some of you lads an idea of how the silhouettes look on the mud and the long line in the water ... but when i got to my rucksack to get my camera out it was not there like a plum i had left it on the front seat of my truck and was hoping it would still be there when i got back ....

i started to pack up and i always keep my gun close to me so if there are any ducks come close for a shot its in grabbing distance ,well this morning this so happened 2 wigeon came over the top of and well up but not out of range, i took 3 shots and they both fell and they were good clean kills .. i am well impressed with this RIO STEEL at the moment , i have been using winchester drylock for last few years but it is getting hard to get hold of now , so i have heard nothing but great stuff about RIO STEEL so i thought i would give it a go .....

well i packed up and headed back to the bank with the boys and my bag limit of 10 ducks . it took me about 3/4 of an hour to get back to the bank with me kept stopping and taking a look at waders and wildfowl on the move over the mud , when i got back to the truck the camera was still there and i did take one pic of the bag i got , so i'm sorry there is not alot to show of what was a red letter flight for me this morning on the back of what was a bad flight for 3 of us last night but thats how the wildfowling game is ,ducks and geese can be there one day and be gone the next ....

, i hope you have enjoyed my my write up ,also i hope i have not bored you to death with it too ... so happy hunting lads and i hope you are having a good start to the season like me ....

Photo0020.jpg

Great Write up I enjoy reading them

please post more

good luck m8t

again wag a great write up, i still have great memories of being there with you with old murphy on that marsh. keep them post coming mate

abt sounder

we had a great crack SOUNDER that morning , there is a great amount of wildfowl about at the mo, had a couple of more good flights this week but have not had time to do a write up about them ...

also i have been asked to do a couple of articlels for a magazine that comes out weekly lol , so with all the shooting hunting and working and doing family things , i aint got the time to do much of anything else lol

thanks for all the replys , i will do more when i get the time, i'm trying to do one about my first wildfowling dog jes its long one and is taking time to do it ....

happy shooting peeps ...

• 2 weeks later...

nice write up wag,,[felt like i was there] ahhhh the old days, lol,,nice to know there's bag limits on your patch..

am not a fowler these days, more of a looker!!!

dont know if your patch is the east coast ,,but my patch was the humber/wash area,s

yep..and i live five minuite,s from the marshes i used to mooch..and the pinks are piling thru the last few weeks..

still and allways will be one of my favorite sounds..

cheers ,byron..

nice write up wag,,[felt like i was there] ahhhh the old days, lol,,nice to know there's bag limits on your patch..

dont know if your patch is the east coast ,,but my patch was the humber/wash area,s

yep..and i live five minuite,s from the marshes i used to mooch..and the pinks are piling thru the last few weeks..

cheers ,byron..

yes byron , i am on the east coast , i'm on the wash , shot the humber once or twice , i also only live 5 min from our local marshes ....

great amounts of pinks here too 1or 2 have fell to my gun over the last week or so ...:whistling: had another great flight last night too on the ducks with a nice suprise thrown in ........:thumbs:

cheers ,byron..

yes byron , i am on the east coast , i'm on the wash , shot the humber once or twice , i also only live 5 min from our local marshes ....

great amounts of pinks here too 1or 2 have fell to my gun over the last week or so ...:whistling: had another great flight last night too on the ducks with a nice suprise thrown in ........:thumbs:

the bay/pump house at wrangle used to have its moments.. :thumbs::thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...