quiters

alright lads hows it going heres my problem i have a pat hes nearly two he started work this year a couple of bolts and middle of the road digs in straight forward earths last week i entered him he found but the earth was half flood he bottled it up in the freezing water they went at it we started to dig half hour later he came out it was a tough spot for a fairly inexperianced dog we later dug to it with a more experienced dog that sounded at it not mixing it hes my first working terrier is there any hope for him any advice is appriciated

A long time ago I had a similar experience with a young dog faced with a partly flooded earth for the first time: she just did'nt know what to do: and it was only her third time out to ground. She went on to work consistently and well, finding in very big earths and never ever quit again: and even though she hated water she went in later years to succeed in flooded earths and all sorts of awkward situations. I'd give him a chance, if he's only just started working. Its far too soon to write him off yet.

Guest Ditch_Shitter
If you stay with a dog and give it experience, in the end it will probably do the same for you. Nothing fails a dog more than a human that will quit on it.

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:That One, surely, needs Pinning somewhere! It's got to be the Most concise, all encompassing and TRUE statement man can apply to a Dog!

Where's Ian B? Ian? Can't that be affixed to the top of each of the 'Dog' Boards here, mate? It's f*cking blinding! Lazer arrow, straight to the very heart of so much we read here!

Gets my vote for The One of 2006. That's a f*cking certainty! :D

I shall now copy it and sneak it off to HDD. To be cited when and where ever I find the oppertunity. Let's Spread that message!

Pat'; My hat's off to ye, mate! :good:

If you stay with a dog and give it experience, in the end it will probably do the same for you. Nothing fails a dog more than a human that will quit on it.

:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:That One, surely, needs Pinning somewhere! It's got to be the Most concise, all encompassing and TRUE statement man can apply to a Dog!

Where's Ian B? Ian? Can't that be affixed to the top of each of the 'Dog' Boards here, mate? It's f*cking blinding! Lazer arrow, straight to the very heart of so much we read here!

Gets my vote for The One of 2006. That's a f*cking certainty! :D

I shall now copy it and sneak it off to HDD. To be cited when and where ever I find the oppertunity. Let's Spread that message!

Pat'; My hat's off to ye, mate! :good:

you are right ditchy the man has said 2 sentences that mean a hell of a lot more

p.burn's ;);)

Guest whitser
If you stay with a dog and give it experience, in the end it will probably do the same for you. Nothing fails a dog more than a human that will quit on it. Have patience and soon enough the dog will likely have perseverance.

P

thats perfect. i will never forget that advice. well said p burns.

Excellent phrase, I was just thinkg about flooded earths and my experience of them, an area where my brother and I work terriers in beside a large lough in NI. We come across this flooded earths a bit there and also on the mosses where we dig too. So far this year we have noticed more flooded earths, or at least with a drop of water in them. What does anyone else think?

My brother has more experience of these earths and when I spoke to him on the phone before said, he trys to keep pups and first season dogs out of these types of earths as they can put them off. What he did say he was going to start doing was getting the dogs into water more as pups so it doesnt discourage them too much. What do you think as some of our workers now do not like water but will pile into a flooded earth.

Overall don't get discouraged, try them in simpler earths and make your decision after that

:yes:

If you stay with a dog and give it experience, in the end it will probably do the same for you. Nothing fails a dog more than a human that will quit on it. Have patience and soon enough the dog will likely have perseverance.

P

sound advice mate. nice one

• 2 years later...

P

been looking through some back posts and seen this chaps quote not a true a word spoken if this advice was followed they probabably wouldnt be so many young terriers and lurchers up for sale atb biza

P

what a load of absolute shite ............................... no amount of experiance or patience will make a average/bad dog anything other than average or bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

if they are rubbish sort it move on ...............cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear................

failed dogs are a fact of life if YOU cant face that you shouldnt have dogs!!! simple as that

fucks sake .......... yis fellman