success on the maggies

after reading jelly4_'s post yesterday, in another thread

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/163792-is-their-much-point-decoying-crows-and-pigeons-on-cut-hay/

it got me thinking, that although it sounded crazy, it might just be the thing I needed, I have one permission/sheep farm, that has a very big problem with the magpies, its made even harder by the fact that this place has noise issue's, so I can only use, either the single shot 410 hushpower, or the rimmy, most times that I go there, I shoot either rabbits or pigeons, but the farmer is always asking me to give those "black & whites" a go, and Ive tried everything, magpie decoys, crow decoys with the dead rabbit, a large owl decoy with dead magpie, even got myself a MID call, all to no avail, nothing seems to work, they just fly around in packs of 20-40 birds, always to the opposite side you've set up on

so this morning, I got down in the shed, I already had a american dove rotor decoy, that I had turned into a magpie deek a few months back by lengthing the tail and spraying black and white, so it was really just a case of how to attach to a pigeon magnet, electrical connector blocks was the answer, one attached via a swivel to the fox tail, and one attached to the maggy deek with a plastic tie, from a distance the maggy deek looks very convincing, and Im a strong beliver in movement catches any birds eye and brings them in to see.

so what do ya think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hryAh2jHODE

I'll try and get over the farm this friday, and post any success with it

well, took it over a permission today, and can say it was a 100%.....

FLOP

wont be bothering again with it, those maggies were laughing as they took a very big berth around it :icon_redface:

Get one shot, fix it up the fork of a tree and watch them drop into it :thumbs:

you want to shoot lots of maggies?

get yourself a ferret with a coller on attatch said ferret to a stake with a lenth of strong fishing line WITH a swivel stake it out and watch those maggies come in . and still comein as they are seeing their mates go down too ...... yis fellman

well, sort of took your advice wilf, and it paid off big time :thumbs:

went back over today, with the intention of shooting a few woodies,well not a woody in sight, hung around for an hour then thought, sod it,lets go home, on the walk back to the car, saw a rabbit and shot that and on getting closer to where I parked, thought Id give the "old" dead rabbit decoy a try, I tucked myself in, alongside a tractor and did'nt have long to wait, within 5 minutes a maggie dropped in, and I dropped it :D well the sky then became full of them, screaming away and dropping in to see their dead buddy, I got six before they realised it was not a safe place to be, well Im chuffed to say the least, all this time of trying, and it finally came together, and I now know, my future ambush point is about ten foot away from where I park :thumbs:

post-5267-010066100 1287236499_thumb.jpg

get yourself a ferret with a coller on attatch said ferret to a stake with a lenth of strong fishing line WITH a swivel stake it out and watch those maggies come in . and still comein as they are seeing their mates go down too ...... yis fellman

I certainly wont try that, although the fert is domesticated, Im sure someone somewhere would find an illegal act here somehow, and being a pestie by trade, it would'ent go down well in my employment :no:

well, sort of took your advice wilf, and it paid off big time :thumbs:

went back over today, with the intention of shooting a few woodies,well not a woody in sight, hung around for an hour then thought, sod it,lets go home, on the walk back to the car, saw a rabbit and shot that and on getting closer to where I parked, thought Id give the "old" dead rabbit decoy a try, I tucked myself in, alongside a tractor and did'nt have long to wait, within 5 minutes a maggie dropped in, and I dropped it :D well the sky then became full of them, screaming away and dropping in to see their dead buddy, I got six before they realised it was not a safe place to be, well Im chuffed to say the least, all this time of trying, and it finally came together, and I now know, my future ambush point is about ten foot away from where I park :thumbs:

post-5267-010066100 1287236499_thumb.jpg

I certainly wont try that, although the fert is domesticated, Im sure someone somewhere would find an illegal act here somehow, and being a pestie by trade, it would'ent go down well in my employment :no:

im a proffesional pest controler and there is nothing illegal in what i have said............ and it works a treat ...

i use wilfs trick stubby

get one whacked and put up in a tree, hedge etc......sit close by and with an old camera film canister with about 20 air rifle pellets in and shake vigoursly about 20 times every couple of mins ( mimics the magpie call) they are sure to come in..........or use tic tacs or.............well you get the picture :thumbs:

nice work mate....keep at em........devious little feckers

:thumbs: