good on your lad! There is certainly more to it than throwing your arms about hoping to catch the other bloke on the chin.

The juniors train and hour before the seniors do and the gym is packed with the kids from the local estate. Definalty good for the youngster i recon

Cheers , he only took it up as hes a county rugby player and they like them to do a contact sport aswell , we didnt want to judo etc so he took up boxing , his fitness is superb and his agression in contact is alot better , only snag is trying not too let him loose too much weight for rugby but get it right for the boxing .

COUNTY RUGBY SHOULD HAVE DIETISION :thumbs:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I started with Tony [ RIP ] when he had Childwall then went with him when he moved to Wavertry.

HAD A LOT OF TIME FOR DARBS SHROOD MATCH MAKER OLD SCHOOL :yes:

I remember coming back from Wales after a getting my face punched in once or twice , I didn,t think he was that shrewd then. :blink:

Yes I started with Tony [ RIP ] when he had Childwall then went with him when he moved to Wavertry.

HAD A LOT OF TIME FOR DARBS SHROOD MATCH MAKER OLD SCHOOL :yes:

I remember coming back from Wales after a getting my face punched in once or twice , I didn,t think he was that shrewd then. :blink:

he was prone to a sudded rush of blood to the head aswell :laugh:

Round here you either fight or kick a ball as a youngun,sadly i was useless at footie so spent most my time in gyms.Boxed to a decent level ended up with Terry Lawless fighting out of the Royal Oak but earned more money being a punch bag for a few big names before my career somewhat stalled :icon_redface:

Its a great sport that will encourage great qualities in a man regardless how good or bad you are at it.

Edited by gnasher16

Trained end of 1975 season boxed 1976 season 6F 5W 1L 3TKO then went to her majesties holiday camp and never went back :thumbdown:

Fkin gutted now :censored::wallbash: any scouses on here i sparred with a kid called keith Wallace quiet a few times !!!

Trained end of 1975 season boxed 1976 season 6F 5W 1L 3TKO then went to her majesties holiday camp and never went back :thumbdown:

Fkin gutted now :censored::wallbash: any scouses on here i sparred with a kid called keith Wallace quiet a few times !!!

My memories not what it was so i might be miles off.....but was that lad Keith Wallace a flyweight ? im sure i remember a scouse lad by that name came down here to get Charlie Magri ready for a world title fight in the mid 80,s...

Im looking forward to prize fighter, will be good.

How many fights did you win?

Iv been training for about 18months now and hopefully having my first bout in the new year

won 16 drew 3 lost 8 , loved it and still do, i was at a sportmans dinner just last night and nicky piper was the guest speaker he was canny crack..

good luck in the new year, keep yer chin up. :thumbs:

Ffs dont keep yer chin up, keep it tucked in yer chest!! lol, best of luck mate. :thumbs:

my two sons started boxing at a young age won more than they lost doing well ,past there driving test ,found out what a fanny was ,and larger and night clubs ,and all went out the window,but it was good when they was both doing it ,espescally when they raise your sons arms as the winner ,must be the proudest moment as a father to see is son in that ring with is arms in the air as the winner ,but still as proud if even had a lost ,fair play to any kid who steps into that ring and goes toe to toe

gnasher16

Yes mate your bang on he helped Magri for his fight with Sot Chitlada from Thailand

Thats when i sparred with him in London he moved down there as i did but me for work

he moved for boxing fought for commonwealth title and won...

he was park time butcher to keep his money up good lad...

Died late 90s with cancer...

gnasher16

Yes mate your bang on he helped Magri for his fight with Sot Chitlada from Thailand

Thats when i sparred with him in London he moved down there as i did but me for work

he moved for boxing fought for commonwealth title and won...

he was park time butcher to keep his money up good lad...

Died late 90s with cancer...

Thats a shame and sad to hear as i remember he was a likeable,funny little fella and a decent talent.Just to correct you it was actually a few years before the Chitolada fight...Charlie was fighting a Mexican lad i forget his name now he stopped him on cuts at Wembley Arena must have been around 84/85,i only remember Keith because he used to hold his own sparring with a young Mo Hussein who was a full blown lightweight at the time and not even Magri could do that.He used to pile on the weight i remember,maybe a downside to being a butcher eh :D

gansher

Chitlada fight was 1985 im 99% sure and know he had done a bit of sparring with him for that think Magri had

moved managment or gym from what my grey matter can recall :tongue2:

Yes Keith used to blow up [bANNED TEXT] and lovely kid for a Ginger :thumbs::laugh: he moved up to Bantam weight and

he never really got off the same as Flyweight

Great memories