Hi all from a newbie to this site

Hi all , i am a newbie to the site. I own 2 lurchers, brothers of 8 months old both of which have had their first rabbit in the last couple of weeks.

one in particular is really keen, i took him lamping the other night (his first time) he had a couple of good runs. is there any easy way to train them on the lamp or is it just a matter of time until it clicks. i am in no rush as he is only young.

should i keep him on the lead when lamping?

should i use a slip lead or is a rope through the D ring on his collar as good?

any help would be much appreciated

thanks

Pete

As the man said,,sounds like your doing fine, i like to walk up on squatters with the lamp on with pups,,and if the bunny bolts try to give a command as soon as the rabbit moves,,that way he associates your command with the rabbit running,and him running,, it helps to be able to send him down the beam on squatters later on that command,,ps Id offload the not so keen pup and just pump all the work into the keen one, he'll be twice the dog he is now by the end of the season with all the work,,Best of luck pete,,

Dogs mature at different ages, I've seen dogs not clicking until they are 18 months so keep both mate, one might be a late starter and turn out a world beater :thumbs:

yeah, but my fear would be that neither would make it to full potential, id take a chance with the one i'd have the gut feeling bout,,by the way, none of it, is a competition, world beater thoughts are for dreamers who will only end up dissapointed with the dog,,best of luck,:thumbs:

The phrase "world beater" isn't to be took literally and I'm sorry your limited intelligence didn't spot that. I'm not surprised right enough, anyone who'd get rid of a dog cos it wasn't as keen as another dog on its first rabbit outing, isn't usually too bright up top. But, you keep giving out advice as if you know what your talking about.... :thumbs:

You are such a twat. :blink:

Hi all , i am a newbie to the site. I own 2 lurchers, brothers of 8 months old both of which have had their first rabbit in the last couple of weeks.

one in particular is really keen, i took him lamping the other night (his first time) he had a couple of good runs. is there any easy way to train them on the lamp or is it just a matter of time until it clicks. i am in no rush as he is only young.

thanks

Pete

As the man said,,sounds like your doing fine, i like to walk up on squatters with the lamp on with pups,,and if the bunny bolts try to give a command as soon as the rabbit moves,,that way he associates your command with the rabbit running,and him running,, it helps to be able to send him down the beam on squatters later on that command,,ps Id offload the not so keen pup and just pump all the work into the keen one, he'll be twice the dog he is now by the end of the season with all the work,,Best of luck pete,,

Dogs mature at different ages, I've seen dogs not clicking until they are 18 months so keep both mate, one might be a late starter and turn out a world beater :thumbs:

yeah, but my fear would be that neither would make it to full potential, id take a chance with the one i'd have the gut feeling bout,,by the way, none of it, is a competition, world beater thoughts are for dreamers who will only end up dissapointed with the dog,,best of luck,:thumbs:

The phrase "world beater" isn't to be took literally and I'm sorry your limited intelligence didn't spot that. I'm not surprised right enough, anyone who'd get rid of a dog cos it wasn't as keen as another dog on its first rabbit outing, isn't usually too bright up top. But, you keep giving out advice as if you know what your talking about.... :thumbs:

:blink: I'm a twat for giving a guy advice not to get rid of a 8 month pup cos it isn't as keen as another on its first rabbit outing??? Is it cos you seen my name and no matter what I had written you were just going to call me a name? I dunno, some folk on here get away with murder...

thanks

Pete

:blink: I'm a twat for giving a guy advice not to get rid of a 8 month pup cos it isn't as keen as another on its first rabbit outing??? Is it cos you seen my name and no matter what I had written you were just going to call me a name? I dunno, some folk on here get away with murder...

Actually i called you a twat for resorting to insulting someones intelligence just because they did not agree with you. Debate is good, pointless insults are not so good. No hard feelings :thumbs:

Guest deerhound hunter

personally i would,nt work my pups untill they were 12 month[not having a dig]but the dogs have started now so theirs no point going backwards ,just give them the easiest slips try not to give them the ones on the treelines and it soundlike you a doing alright so just keep it simply and the final bit of the jigsaw will just fall into place ...atb...dh

thanks

Pete

thats rich coming from you