Hi all from a newbie to this site

Hi all , i am a newbie to the site. I own 2 lurchers, brothers of 8 months old both of which have had their first rabbit in the last couple of weeks.

one in particular is really keen, i took him lamping the other night (his first time) he had a couple of good runs. is there any easy way to train them on the lamp or is it just a matter of time until it clicks. i am in no rush as he is only young.

should i keep him on the lead when lamping?

should i use a slip lead or is a rope through the D ring on his collar as good?

any help would be much appreciated

thanks

Pete

Sounds like your doing ok and if he is running the rabbits and coming back etc then it's probably just a matter of time. I'd keep him on a lead when lamping, and a bit of rope through the D ring is absolutely fine! atb Jai.

Hi all , i am a newbie to the site. I own 2 lurchers, brothers of 8 months old both of which have had their first rabbit in the last couple of weeks.

one in particular is really keen, i took him lamping the other night (his first time) he had a couple of good runs. is there any easy way to train them on the lamp or is it just a matter of time until it clicks. i am in no rush as he is only young.

thanks

Pete

As the man said,,sounds like your doing fine, i like to walk up on squatters with the lamp on with pups,,and if the bunny bolts try to give a command as soon as the rabbit moves,,that way he associates your command with the rabbit running,and him running,, it helps to be able to send him down the beam on squatters later on that command,,ps Id offload the not so keen pup and just pump all the work into the keen one, he'll be twice the dog he is now by the end of the season with all the work,,Best of luck pete,,

thanks

Pete

As the man said,,sounds like your doing fine, i like to walk up on squatters with the lamp on with pups,,and if the bunny bolts try to give a command as soon as the rabbit moves,,that way he associates your command with the rabbit running,and him running,, it helps to be able to send him down the beam on squatters later on that command,,ps Id offload the not so keen pup and just pump all the work into the keen one, he'll be twice the dog he is now by the end of the season with all the work,,Best of luck pete,,

Dogs mature at different ages, I've seen dogs not clicking until they are 18 months so keep both mate, one might be a late starter and turn out a world beater :thumbs:

thanks

Pete

welcome mate it looks like your doing grand to me but keep him on a bit of a slip :thumbs:

thanks

Pete

Dogs mature at different ages, I've seen dogs not clicking until they are 18 months so keep both mate, one might be a late starter and turn out a world beater :thumbs:

yeah, but my fear would be that neither would make it to full potential, id take a chance with the one i'd have the gut feeling bout,,by the way, none of it, is a competition, world beater thoughts are for dreamers who will only end up dissapointed with the dog,,best of luck,:thumbs:

sounds like you're doing fine to me! i use rope or a leather lead with the handle picked out for slip leads. i find just threading the slip under the collar (under and up towards the dogs head) is best as you should'nt get a tangle on release if the dog is getting over excited. also, dont pull the sliplead out quickly, just release one end and the dog will feel the pressure ease and know to lurch forward to the prey. i used to go out with someone who used to really whip the slip out quickly and his young dog sometimes used to cower as though it had done something wrong! best of luck

Thankyou all for your tips, the other lurcher is my girlfriends so i dont think she would be happy getting rid of him, he has great legs but not all that intelligent, and my dog is a tatty rough coat but really keen to work ( they say dogs are like their owners dont they )

I will try him on the slip this weekend and hopefully the rabbits will play game for him

will let him take it at his own pace and will take my HW100 and pop a few myself if he doesnt get any.

thanks again

Great Forum

Thankyou all for your tips, the other lurcher is my girlfriends so i dont think she would be happy getting rid of him, he has great legs but not all that intelligent, and my dog is a tatty rough coat but really keen to work ( they say dogs are like their owners dont they )

I will try him on the slip this weekend and hopefully the rabbits will play game for him

will let him take it at his own pace and will take my HW100 and pop a few myself if he doesnt get any.

thanks again

Great Forum

She sounds like a girl i used to know, all legs and no brains,,great combination,,,,,only kidding bud

Good thought on the air rifle. If he doesnt seem to be getting it, take him and the gun out and drop a rabbit in the beam and send him in on the retrieve, if your lucky you will get a twitcher! Then move on to squatters like has been said. :thumbs:

I started my bull bitch with the rifle as i have with the pup's. Best way seeing you know that if it drops straight away he will see it and can learn the retrieve, if you don't get the clean kill then then he get's a chase :thumbs:

I also take someone with me alot of the time, i can then lamp and control the dog, all the other person has to do is shoot the bunnies :gunsmilie: Happy hunting

thanks

Pete

yeah, but my fear would be that neither would make it to full potential, id take a chance with the one i'd have the gut feeling bout,,by the way, none of it, is a competition, world beater thoughts are for dreamers who will only end up dissapointed with the dog,,best of luck,:thumbs:

The phrase "world beater" isn't to be took literally and I'm sorry your limited intelligence didn't spot that. I'm not surprised right enough, anyone who'd get rid of a dog cos it wasn't as keen as another dog on its first rabbit outing, isn't usually too bright up top. But, you keep giving out advice as if you know what your talking about.... :thumbs: