buck/breay patterdales

AS DEE SAYS, THERE'S LOADS OF DECENT TERRIERMEN AND TERRIERS IN THIS COUNTRY. JUST WONDERING WHERE THE BROKEN COAT CAME FROM ON THE DOG YA BOUGHT? DID BUCK/BREAYS TERRIERS NOT HAVE SMOOTH COATS IN GENERAL?

Nope, Buck didn't mind what coat type his dogs had as long as it wasn't loose and open. Breay prefered a smooth coated dog but had a few off Buck with hard and broken coats.

I met Frank Buck at GT Yorkshire in the late 80's, he was showing a black dog with a very rough coat, the dog was noticable not only because Frank was at the other end of the lead but because it was the only dog in its class not stripped or 'preened' in any way. I asked him it's breeding, he replied, 'Its my own stuff, what i've always kept'. I've always felt a bit daft for asking Frank Buck that question, i suppose he'd have nowt else but maybe now I don't feel so bad about it! ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3 years old already had a litter and a tad big for job she s intented too do and your talking of breeding her and you ve not even got her yet something does nt add up imo

seriously and buy a dog should not be in same sentence you ll find the best bred terriers are given too like minded people for free and so on and so forth the way it shoud be money will be the undoing

i see this threads gone tits up,i knew frank buck and every terrier i have originate from a terrier fetched from him back in the 90s that dog is in everyone in my kennels and they all go back to black

Posted Images

i see this threads gone tits up,i knew frank buck and every terrier i have originate from a terrier fetched from him back in the 90s that dog is in everyone in my kennels and they all go back to black davey,he was still working at past 12 years old and had to stop as he was going deaf and blind he was put to sleep about 3 years ago at 15,breay went more the smooth coat way but franks did throw brocken coated mine are broken coated and throw the odd black and tan from the lakeland blood buck used, theres a couple of lads on here had them from this line i have here,ive found they start daft and settle down and ive found the bitchs are alot harder than the dogs i dont know why they just are and take longer to settle into there work ,theres not many pure line bred terriers from this line now they have mostly been diluted with other lines mainly nuttall so if your parting with money make sure you know what your getting

regards hedz

just to add there not better than any other good working line out there, they are just decent honest working terriers the same as many lads have ive seen one or 2 folks pay stupid money for something that wasnt what they thought it was or because they had something special because it had a few named dogs in the pedigree years ago big names from years ago mean jack shit there only used by folk that want to make money :thumbdown:

hedzs

heres a bitch of mine very like your dog in avatorDSCMaggie.jpg

Edited by fionn

:blink: Seems alot of people claim to have known frank buck in this topic :hmm:

atb with her, hope she works out! (i wouldnt buy a bitch that is three years old and had a litter though)

Well I've read through this post last night and tonight,some posts a lot more interesting than others :whistling: I first met Frank Buck at the Bramham Moor terrier show in the late 60's common place in those days for the judge to wear a suit and bowler hat,that would probably my first sight of a patterdale, I saw him at the Great Yorks in the eighties when Tony Kirby was running it and met him later while ferreting at Harmby just outside Leyburn :thumbs:Wendy Bell married the local bobby and also lived in Harmby

Interesting the mention of Brian Nuttall as at that time he was a grousemoor keeper at Jervaulx estate which would of been no more than 2miles away across the Wensleydale valley.

There is a lad(I use the term lightly)still keeping stuff direct from FB,regarded highly enough that when Frank died Max passed on all his dads paper work going back with his breeding to this man

Sorry for going slightly of topic

Y.I.S Leeview

atb with her, hope she works out! (i wouldnt buy a bitch that is three years old and had a litter though)

Well I've read through this post last night and tonight,some posts a lot more interesting than others :whistling: I first met Frank Buck at the Bramham Moor terrier show in the late 60's common place in those days for the judge to wear a suit and bowler hat,that would probably my first sight of a patterdale, I saw him at the Great Yorks in the eighties when Tony Kirby was running it and met him later while ferreting at Harmby just outside Leyburn :thumbs:Wendy Bell married the local bobby and also lived in Harmby

Interesting the mention of Brian Nuttall as at that time he was a grousemoor keeper at Jervaulx estate which would of been no more than 2miles away across the Wensleydale valley.

There is a lad(I use the term lightly)still keeping stuff direct from FB,regarded highly enough that when Frank died Max passed on all his dads paper work going back with his breeding to this man

Sorry for going slightly of topic

Y.I.S Leeview

woulda been great to meet Frank buck, ive heard he was as hard as nails but no less a gent

• Like 1

Theres not alot at all claim to have known him he was only a man the same as any other pal theres plenty folk knew and met him he was not above approach you know,he was actualy a very decent bloke who gave me the time of day when i was a young teenage lad

regards hedz

I had the pleasure of digging the dog Hepher posted and he was everything he says he was.Northsider not sure on the breeding of the dog but he came from down your way as far as I know.Fion nice bitch my old bitch Is very similar when stripped out but has a very heavy coat.Lovely type.As has been said Frank buck was approachable I hunted in the Lakes a long time ago and my diggin mate at the time and I travelled round the hunt kennels in the Lakes and found all,with exception of 1 huntsman very down to earth and very informative givin that we where young and unknown to them.Especially the huntsman/master of the Wensleydale.Great people and legends in their own right.

in my tiny bit of experiance i found names ofterriermen used as th way of choosing dogs is in itself a farce i wouldnt b bothered if it wer buck breuy or old mrs jenkins dwn th road they either will or wont if i like th look of imediate family an th pup is correctly put together thn thats all u need know as iv used mrs jenkins dogs t dig to [bANNED TEXT] dogs out of terriermen well known hav let us dwn .in sayin that it is nice t know wer a dog has come frm but most r so far removed frm th odd excellent terrier these men once owned by time an matings they might aswell b off old mrs j dwn th road. does that make them any less of a dog if they wer ?terriers bred by us mere mortals behave and throw th same as they did fr those men.

What happened on 12-4-90 at kendal magistrates court and frank buck?

You know what happened or more like you heard what happened its no hidden secret is it so what has that got to do with the line of terriers ??

Anyone care to share what happened?

Only ever heard good things about the man.

Not really relevant to the topic mate... :thumbdown:

all that need be said is Cyril Breay & Frank Buck (along with a few others) were good men who left us a great line of wee game terriers, cheers to them :drinks:

no need to start bad mouthin anyone :nea: