breeding

ive often pondered this if you have a line you like and its bred very closely (maybe to closely in some cases)this chucks out all the good traits in one dog and all the bad in another from the same litter im talking no phyiscal defects just one dog excells at catching,killing retrive,gameness the sibling on the other hand is genetically and physically equal but has not got the any killer instinct drive or speed ,further down the line the only one left to keep the line tight is the bad one of the litter but it has everything genetically you want would you breed of this dog just a thought.

ive often pondered this if you have a line you like and its bred very closely (maybe to closely in some cases)this chucks out all the good traits in one dog and all the bad in another from the same litter im talking no phyiscal defects just one dog excells at catching,killing retrive,gameness the sibling on the other hand is genetically and physically equal but has not got the any killer instinct drive or speed ,further down the line the only one left to keep the line tight is the bad one of the litter but it has everything genetically you want would you breed of this dog just a thought.

thats an interesting one,,sometimes the only thing that seperates the good from the not so good,,is a personality trait,,on say a litter of 8 you'll get 8 different personalities,some full on some laid back,,it dont mean the laid back pup can throw a cracker,,,or does it..??

thats an interesting one,,sometimes the only thing that seperates the good from the not so good,,is a personality trait,,on say a litter of 8 you'll get 8 different personalities,some full on some laid back,,it dont mean the laid back pup can throw a cracker,,,or does it..??

my own bloodline of collies is like that. most intelligent pup in my litters could easily go insane if it isnt worked all day every day like my own bitch brilliant worker in her own right and a near genius but has days where shes like a vegetable.... switches off and theres no getting through to her.

she was the most intelligent pup out of her dams litter. learnt after that to choose the middle pup.

the one ive kept back this time is still extremely bright and very keen to start working, im sending her off to be trained proffesionally in another few months.

same pattern in every litter from this strain;

1 genius pup that will most likely eventually "lose it"

3 or 4 nice smart pups that should make good reliable workers

1 or 2 average pups only fit for pets.

my own bloodline of collies is like that. most intelligent pup in my litters could easily go insane if it isnt worked all day every day like my own bitch brilliant worker in her own right and a near genius but has days where shes like a vegetable.... switches off and theres no getting through to her.

she was the most intelligent pup out of her dams litter. learnt after that to choose the middle pup.

the one ive kept back this time is still extremely bright and very keen to start working, im sending her off to be trained proffesionally in another few months.

you know what your talking about

What age do you run them on til,,before you choose your pup,,

What age do you run them on til,,before you choose your pup,,

i usually keep back 2 or 3 of the litter till 4-5mths, mine play-herd from about 3mths with the hens and ducks, if you watch them carefully you can usually pick out the most stylish at that age, i always sell the males at 10-12wks as i cant keep them,

you can easily pick out the smartest and dumbest at that age... i give those away to people i know through an agility dog trainer friend.

i kept 3 back this time, 1 was a barker, very bold style to her, ideal prospect as a cattle dog. gone to a dairy herd up the road

1 is a creeper and ive kept her.

1 was too clingy with her mother, interested in herding but a bit clumbsy, and was going to be an alpha bitch like her mother, she'd be a headache to train.

had 2 males gone to local farms heard feedback from one of them asking me if id anymore as he had several buyers lining up for them. was disapointed when he heard id neutered the bitch

At what point does quality of training become an issue?

At what point does quality of training become an issue?

For a lamping dog , which is what i mostly do, i try to achieve an understanding with the mutt,he must trust you,, recall , retrieve and generally good manners,,the rest is up to the dog and his natural ability,,the more work you give him ,the better he'll be and the better the owner will seem to be,,,Plenty of graft ,its the same as anything else,,practise and more practise,,,some dogs will be naturally better than others, but thats out of your hands,,sometimes i think the whole thing is the luck of the draw,,Best of luck