Grey Squirrels

The hunting act is only law in England and Wales In Scotland The Protection of Wild Mammals (Scotland) 2002 This was the Watson bill that my old man, Barrie Wade :notworthy: and John Waters were the NWTF team that fought this Bill through the Scottish Parliament,led by Barrie of course along with the SHPA,SGA SCA,NFU,SWDA,SDCC,Basc,and the Falconers just google the act I've mentioned :thumbs:

My dog`s instinct is to kill anything he comes across, its all fair game to him, i have weaned him off cats, by giving him a treat and saying leave it every time we see one, and now he just grumbles to himself when we pass one, he swallows his pride and his treat.

With Squirrels though, there`s not much i can do, he`s chased them ever since i got him, and he`s never been close to one, until now, i think it was burying a nut with its back to us ...

Phew!...I'm glad I know now that it's illegal. I'll have to ask my dogs to stop killing grey squirrels and we can just rely on the amazing tactics used by the experts in which they use drugs to reduce fertility in greys to help out the reds. :whistling:

Phew!...I'm glad I know now that it's illegal. I'll have to ask my dogs to stop killing grey squirrels and we can just rely on the amazing tactics used by the experts in which they use drugs to reduce fertility in greys to help out the reds. :whistling:

its good to know where our tax goes...

i do like to help them out abit, especially with squirrels ;)

The hunting act is only law in England and Wales In Scotland The Protection of Wild Mammals (Scotland) 2002 This was the Watson bill that my old man, Barrie Wade :notworthy: and John Waters were the NWTF team that fought this Bill through the Scottish Parliament,led by Barrie of course along with the SHPA,SGA SCA,NFU,SWDA,SDCC,Basc,and the Falconers just google the act I've mentioned :thumbs:

You're partially correct it seems! icon_redface.gif:D

It's not an offence for a dog to kill a pest species in Scotland with a dog, provided it's done in the act of flushing it to a gun/bird of prey. :thumbs:

(2)Where a person is using a dog in connection with the despatch of a wild mammal, being of a pest species, with the intention of flushing the wild mammal from cover or from below ground in order that it may be shot or killed by lawful means, that person does not commit an offence under section 1(1) by virtue of the dog killing that wild mammal in the course of that activity.

http://www.statutela...xtDocId=1472960

I'll add that I'm not at all bothered by a grey squirrel being killed by a dog, the more the better.. I just think it's responsible to present the full facts on a site like this with so many newcomers to our sports joining and asking advice. :thumbs:

You did not read far enough down it defines Mammals but excempts rodents and rabbits from the protection of the act.You must read all the way down so I'm fully correct.I agree its important to provide the full facts maybe the mods could change the advice on terrierwork as the guidlines are incorrect for Scotland. :thumbs:

You are correct! :yes:thumbs.gif

Its obviously illegal same as all mammals, except rats, rabbits and fox below ground to protect gamebirds, that said accidents happen so i doubt you will get in trouble unless someone saw and complained

What a load of PISS.Kill away and enjoy.The grey is vermin and can be killed. clachan

:blink:

Whether its a load of "PISS" or not, it is still the law in England and Wales. Whether or not we take any notice of it is, of course, down to the individual ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Its obviously illegal same as all mammals, except rats, rabbits and fox below ground to protect gamebirds, that said accidents happen so i doubt you will get in trouble unless someone saw and complained

Agree with the above !!! :yes:

They are vermin and have way's in which they are controlled , sounds daft but sadly it's the way of Scotland thanks to the tree huggers!!! :censored::censored:

Yet these tree huggers scream to have the Red re introduced,,,,that would be good reintoduce some Reds and watch the Grey's slaughter them .....Makes a shit load of sense that ?????? No No ,,you catch them in live traps then relocate them!!! :laugh::laugh:

Aye were then ????Grey's don't belong but sadly it's looking like there staying,,Animal right's and all that !!! :doh::doh::doh:

Do it right and do it well ,and you won't have any complaint's.....

All the best with the sport you seem to love.. ;)

SS :thumbs: