Grey Squirrels

I was out for a walk today in the local woods with my JRT, all of a sudden he bolted off, next thing i know, he`s swinging a Grey Squirrel about, a couple of shakes, and it was dead, it was only a young Squirrel, i dont think he could catch a fully grown one.

What i need to know is this, can i get into trouble for killing Sqirrels ? ...

They are classed as vermin so i doubt it, however it would depend on the place it happened, for instance my local park has rules about controlling your dog and preventing it from chasing wildlife etc but on the other hand local environment agencies are trying to create more red squirrel friendly habitats so i doubt any park manager will say anything if it was purely a out of the blue and a one off.

Its obviously illegal same as all mammals, except rats, rabbits and fox below ground to protect gamebirds, that said accidents happen so i doubt you will get in trouble unless someone saw and complained

Its obviously illegal same as all mammals, except rats, rabbits and fox below ground to protect gamebirds, that said accidents happen so i doubt you will get in trouble unless someone saw and complained

What a load of PISS.Kill away and enjoy.The grey is vermin and can be killed. clachan

What a load of PISS.Kill away and enjoy.The grey is vermin and can be killed. clachan

thats a good opinion fella and i agree but Tyla was just giving the law.

you know, the one we obey. all of us. without fail.

The grey is vermin and can be killed. clachan

Not legally by a dog, unfortunately.. :no: Read the pinned thread at the top of the screen..

Load of bollocks IMO, same as it's legal to kill a rat with a dog but not a mouse.. :yes:

Tyla is spot on..........

Maltenby is wrong Protection of Wild Mammals act in Scotland you can kill rabbits and rodents with a dog but you must have permission. :icon_redface:

Not calling you a liar mate, but can you provide a link to the relevant legislation? The 2005 hunting act made it illegal to kill all mammals in England, Scotland & Wales. The only exceptions are rabbits and rats...