GETTING A TERRIER TO GROUND??

My mates terrier (lakeland x border) was forced by the last idiot that owned her last year into a fox earth back end of last season.. since then, he hasn't gone down further than his tail, and since i have a bit of experience with dogs, i've been asked for some advice.. He has pheasant, snipe , partridge, and god knows what other birds on his estate. The dog is game as it gets above ground, but i haven't a clue what to tell him to ensure the dog goes to ground? I am sure once it goes down, it will be 'problem solved', but someone MUST have some techniques up therte sleeves to get a dog to ground?? Since this is a realproblem, i don't expect many responses, but it would be a huge help if someone could send me their opinions...

maybe take a proven terrier out with you and hope it picks the habit up, other then that i aint sure seeing as it has been forced in the past you have to undo the negativety associated with going to ground. So patience is needed in great deals and positive reinforcement along the way.

maybe take a proven terrier out with you and hope it picks the habit up, other then that i aint sure seeing as it has been forced in the past you have to undo the negativety associated with going to ground. So patience is needed in great deals and positive reinforcement along the way.

as above, bring it out on a dig with a proven terrier, tether him nearby and focus on the job at hand ignoreing your own dog, if he seems keen, try him out on the next dig, dont force it or whatever trust he has in you could be compromised.

Patience is your only answer,being shoved dosnt do anything,good breeding and letting it watch other dogs graft is my preffered solution,if you can get another dog working to ground tie the other near a hole so it can hear the other dog baying,dont let it go to ground with another,let it have a few rags of the dead stuff,but it will only graft when it wants to,you cant make a terrier go to ground if it dosnt want to.

• Like 1

My mates terrier (lakeland x border) was forced by the last idiot that owned her last year into a fox earth back end of last season.. since then, he hasn't gone down further than his tail, and since i have a bit of experience with dogs, i've been asked for some advice.. He has pheasant, snipe , partridge, and god knows what other birds on his estate. The dog is game as it gets above ground, but i haven't a clue what to tell him to ensure the dog goes to ground? I am sure once it goes down, it will be 'problem solved', but someone MUST have some techniques up therte sleeves to get a dog to ground?? Since this is a realproblem, i don't expect many responses, but it would be a huge help if someone could send me their opinions...

How old is the dog?Was it the first time out?Does the dog work any other quarry?

Try just using him for ratting for a while,take him on digs but let him watch and don't try putting him down a hole until he is keen to go.A dog should never be forced to enter an earth,it should only go down if it's keen and wants to explore or find his quarry.Someone who forces dogs down holes will usually end

up with a ruined terrier,atb,

Higgins.