Deerhound pup

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nightwalker
the problem is that he might not know when enough is enough, easy to overrun a dog when your keen

depends what he's hunting too, a good belting by some of our game could put the deerhound way back

Yes, it's a judgement call, and you have to be sensible. Some of the big game round my way can badly hurt or kill a dog, so I try to avoid them, but particularly with muntjac its very difficult, they pop out of bushes and hedges everywhere and you never know when you are going to encounter them. The only good thing is that the big dogs are generally very robust and there isn't much that puts off a keen young deerhound or deerhound/grey including a nip or two from a fox.

I am hearing what you are saying, buy, what would be the end result if such a young dog did get a bad experience from chasing a fox. The dog could get nipped and I am sure would have some sort of effect on him going forward. Am I wrong?

Again I am hearing what you are saying, but, are they not big babies at the end of the day, and I think that we the owners need the training to restrain ourselves from running them at such an early stage. Am I wrong?

Let the shooting commence. :cry::cry::cry:

Guest Nightwalker
I am hearing what you are saying, but, what would be the end result if such a young dog did get a bad experience from chasing a fox. The dog could get nipped and I am sure would have some sort of effect on him going forward. Am I wrong?

Again I am hearing what you are saying, but, are they not big babies at the end of the day, and I think that we the owners need the training to restrain ourselves from running them at such an early stage. Am I wrong?

Let the shooting commence. :cry::cry::cry:

I have had pups nipped by foxes and it has never put one off yet, my current bitch (a 29" 85 lb 3/4 bred deerhound/grey) caught her first one accidentally when she was about 8 months old and got bitten, but by that age she was already bigger and stronger than most lurchers will ever be and certainly wasnt put off by it . Her immediate predecessor pup (a first cross deerhound/grey) caught his first at nine months old - he was already 30" and 90lbs by that age and very, very strong. Brought up right, these dogs have a very strong prey drive and will ride out a lot more than a few nips from a fox. A sapling deerhound or deerhound grey is much more than just a baby, brought up my way, they are very, very serious about catching game and it's a joy to watch them learn and develop their skills in finding and catching game.

Foxes just arent capable of doing much damage to a big young pup whereas there are quarry out there that can do real damage. Muntjac bucks are not to be taken lightly, they can and do rip dogs open from end to end - they are two to three times the weight of an average fox and their big canines produce huge slashing tears in flesh and fallow bucks which in the past have killed experienced big, strong experienced dogs of mine.

Edited by Nightwalker

nightwalker, how do you find the deerhounds, do you find they progress slowly, but always a step forward or are they straight into it

in my experience the staghounds we have are straight in, whereas the deerhound is more of a step by step progression, quite interesting to see the differences.

Guest Nightwalker
nightwalker, how do you find the deerhounds, do you find they progress slowly, but always a step forward or are they straight into it

in my experience the staghounds we have are straight in, whereas the deerhound is more of a step by step progression, quite interesting to see the differences.

Straight in, in my experience.

Guest Nightwalker
i think so if it is started young it my spoil it that is want i think

Depends what you mean by started. If you mean going out for walks with other dogs and finding and chasing the odd rabbit etc then no, if you mean being taken out lamping or coursing then yes, far too young.

i have all the pups out from young walking learning and generaly getting an educaition without knowing it plus a bit clever dog handling from me, never had a failure but had some better than others all the best all daylight,mostly as lamping can make them yap ive had pups when young yap but as they got older they got less exited calmed down and well it was no big deal spinning a few roe rabbits hare etc present dogs ive got at moment have all been out from young in woods etc and none yap , all depends on breeding etc

Trentdale lines..would have expected a deerhound from this breding to be bigger than 25 inches at that age, a lot of Kilbourne in that stuff, BIG deerhounds, usually..they will play about at that age, youngsters a long time deerhounds, but, every deerhound Ive had killed before 12 months.

:) doxhope i know you know youre stuff on this breed but im always keen to learn,what method do you use to get youre pups a kill before 12 months without cringing while youre doing it,taking into consideration all the things that could go wrong at such an early age,and this is by no means a pop at you,but it just goes against everything i was ever taught.but i will tap knowledge where i can.
:) doxhope i know you know youre stuff on this breed but im always keen to learn,what method do you use to get youre pups a kill before 12 months without cringing while youre doing it,taking into consideration all the things that could go wrong at such an early age,and this is by no means a pop at you,but it just goes against everything i was ever taught.but i will tap knowledge where i can.

Hi jacob, I have sent you a PM matie :drink: