Deerhound pup

My deerhound pup is now 5.5 monthes old and i was wondering what is the best age for hunting with him? i have started him on rabbits and he seems to be getting much better every time. Also does anyone have any pics of one around the same age, or pics of one hunting?

Thanks

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mate i cant stress enough, dont work him now, take him out, let it see stuff, but dont run them early

wait till they hit 12 months atleast before working at all

what disturbed said is right, running him on rabbits too early, plus his bones won't be properly developed at such an early age, a long course could seriously injure him.

i think the lads new to the game and his keeness is getting the better of him take note wise words have been spoken at least 12 months and like someone said should be training him comands youll learn like i did when i was younger

all the best though

dobby :victory:

im sure you've heard shitloads of this already mate, but running him this early on will ruin what sounds like a very promising pup. thing is, his bones will not have developed properly yet and will still be soft. anymore than playful puppy running around will put too much pressure on his socket-joints and bones, thus ruining him in later life by giving him hip and elbow dysplasia. it sucks i know, but you really should wait.

Thanks guys i knew that i should not take him too early but i will only take him once every fortnight for about an hour. An i don't make him go to hard, but he is very keen though.

Thanks

trust me, as keen as he might be, just dont let him run, he'll get sore, and then he wont want to run anymore, or he'll start pulling up mid chase

Guest Nightwalker
My deerhound pup is now 5.5 monthes old and i was wondering what is the best age for hunting with him? i have started him on rabbits and he seems to be getting much better every time. Also does anyone have any pics of one around the same age, or pics of one hunting?

Thanks

I have a different view on entering big dogs. My dogs (big, strong deerhound crosses these days) come out and about from me as soon as they have had their jabs. There is a lot of game about where I live, they see game, they follow scents, they start to chase and sooner or later thay start to catch. I try to stop them chasing anything that could badly hurt them or kill them (e.g. muntjac bucks / fallow bucks) or that will overtire them e.g. chasing hare after hare. This seems like an entirely natural way of entering to me. Dogs mature at different rates. A quick sprint after a bunny wont hurt a six month old pup anymore than it would hurt him to chase you round the lawn. Round my way you would need to keep a pup permanently on the lead to stop it finding game and chasing anyway and a pup wouldn't learn much like that. It would be different if I lived in the middle of some ghastly city but fortunately I dont. What you should avoid is exhausting or overmatching him. In some strains of dog, e.g. collie/greys etc early running can result in yapping but this doesnt seem to be a problem at all with deerhounds and deerhound crosses.

I hear lots of nonsense talked on here about not entering deerhoundy dogs until they are two or more, mine have all taken fox and deer by 12 months or therabouts and these quarry are actually generally less demanding than repeated runs after hare and rabbit. What you need to avoid is over-stretching the dog, dont run him repeatedly or hard until he is older - at least 16 months but chasing a bit of game when he is out and about with you wont do him any harm - just be sensible about this.