Do any of the lurcher owners on here use a dog whistle??

only i want to train my 10 1/2 month old pup using a Acme dog whistle

for the purpose of recall only.

He does come to recall when using my voice, but as we all know, all dogs have their moments.

I thought a whistle would be heard easier when the dog is a bit further away,

especially on windy day,s and nights.

I would be grateful for any advice from Lurcher owners already using a whistle for this purpose..

ATB for this season.. NO BAN

Do any of the lurcher owners on here use a dog whistle??

only i want to train my 10 1/2 month old pup using a Acme dog whistle

for the purpose of recall only.

He does come to recall when using my voice, but as we all know, all dogs have their moments.

I thought a whistle would be heard easier when the dog is a bit further away,

especially on windy day,s and nights.

I would be grateful for any advice from Lurcher owners already using a whistle for this purpose..

ATB for this season.. NO BAN

i use one all the time mate. wouldnt be with out one.

I used a whistle until last week when i lost it.Used it for recall & a few other commands.

Call him in as normal.Then use the whistle as he's coming back.Keep doing this until he understands what the whistle means.Lots of praise when he gets it right.

Hope this helps.Kev.

Yes, I use one all the time, using a reward system (i.e. a treat each time it came back) from an early age I trained mine to come to heel in two short blasts.

Now this has been 'hard wired' in his brain we will immediately come back from 3 or 4 fields away on hearing it.

I would also add that out of all the dogs I have owned, I have found given a bit of patience early on Lurchers are amongst the easiest to train to come back to the whistle.

I started training with one when one of my dogs was as a pup and the other when I got him at 7 months.

I was told to start off in the house, call your dog and give a couple short pips and when the dog comes give it a treat and praise. If you do it a few times a day after a short time the dog will just come to the whistle. Then move to outside but not to far away with treats and plenty of praise. Try hidding and calling with the whistle make it fun. It took about a month for my 7 month old to get it. My Saluki x will bugger off on her own quite often and she will go further than I like but always comes to the whistle usually out of breath so I know she was some way out.

I have also trained them to sit with a longer single whistle. With your dog near you say or signal for it to sit as it's bum hits the ground whistle. Keep doing it they get the hang of it quickly. Then try doing the same at a short distance and then try increasing it. I use a hand signal as well if they don't respond.

If you have a partner who takes the dog out they will also need to train the dog as everyone blows a whistle slightly different.

If you are in woods you will still need to call the dog as it is harder to get direction just with a whistle with a lot of trees to bounce off.

Good luck.

A whistle can be made to sound like a seagull type noise, or something not identifiable with the human voice: essential for many lurcher owners if you don't want to advertise your presence! I found that even adult dogs previously unused to whistles learn very quickly what it means. I use two different blasts on the whistle : a series of shorts pips for the terriers, and short pip followed by a longer note for the lurchers: they all know the difference. And the Airedale has a different whistle call all for herself: one which carries a long way LOL And she comes much better to that than my bellowing voice when I haven't a clue which direction she's gone through thick cover LOL

Pick up My first ever lurcher in the morning, it is also the first dog I have ever purchased with a mind to work it. Father-in-law has always had working spaniels and Labs. The first thing He said to drum into the pups mind is whistle commands. So I have a nice shinny whistle just waiting to be blown. So its great to see others using a whistle out in the field. Cant wait for the morning :)

Justin