weed problem on big carp lake

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you try stocking some grass carp?

grass carp donot eat weed mate

Feck me I need to give Wikipedia and our fishery manager a good slap then.

phone up eney fish farm with grass carp they dont feed them weed they feed pellit

I think you should know your stuff mate before you try to put someone else down.....

Agrass carp approachs a piece of weed! takes it, and was caught...... :wallbash::wallbash:

let me tell you mate it cost me a lot of money to find out that grass carp does not eat weed FACT

phone up eney fish farm with grass carp they dont feed them weed they feed pellit

I think you should know your stuff mate before you try to put someone else down.....

Agrass carp approachs a piece of weed! takes it, and was caught...... :wallbash::wallbash:

let me tell you mate it cost me a lot of money to find out that grass carp does not eat weed FACT

http://www.fishkeepersforum.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=808&sid=3f149cad51f76c2204909009dbb7d93c

Perhaps someone sold you some chub by mistake?

you silly boy, do you want a bet???????????????????????????????/

hi guys just been to my anual carp lake meeting which we discussed a number of issues about the lake, the main issue is the weed....

loosing good fish in the weed, in margins and at range,

we recentley had a firm in to cut it all back costing the club 3 grand, this was great but they could only cut the weed 6 foot from the surface of the lake, which in some places of the lake its 12+ foot,

problem is that its a man made lake and has a liner,

there are plenty of activities on the lake like jet skying, wind surfing and canoing,

so what im asking is for some advice on getting rid of the weed,

thanks

carl

Hi Carl:

As you can see I am new to this forum but I think I can help with you weed problem.

Fistly I am interested to learn what the liner is made of.

The answer to your problem is the Aspen Lake Rake go to www.aspenlakerake.co.uk where you will see it on the Tenchfishers website.

This was invented to cope with the Canadian Pondweed in our 23 acre Lake which is 14ft deep & rammed with weed.

The rake pulls the weed out rather than cutting it off, so although it does return it is much slower & if the swims are used & groundbait is thrown in the Carp will keep the swims clear.

The rake is sold as standard at 28 inches wide & 30ft long but can be extended to any length you require, we have tested it to 100ft.

I must add that our rake has 9 inch steel tines which is why I am curious about your liner, but I would think it would be very easy to put a ball, such as a billiard ball on each of the 8 tines to avoid damage to the liner.

Let me know if you need any further info.

Regards

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

still chocka up there then lol

i was using braid on there and didnt have too many problems other than the boulders.

its harder finding a clear spot than getting them out

i have only been up there once this year to fish but it still looked pretty weedy on the pontoon when i went up to rejoin but should die down a bit through winter

Hi I have seen this problem many times, I used to run a fishery in sheffield where weed was really bad and we called in the expert Dr Bruno Broughton. He advised us to spray the surface of the water with Roundup a herbicide used on farms. The method was to go out in a boat and spray from a pressurised sprayer while moving very steadily in the boat. It took about a week for it to start working and within 2 weeks it was totally clear of weed we just had to remove the dead weed that floated to the surface.

It worked fine with no fish losses at all, we just did the pond in sections to allow fish to escape if needed.

i fished butterly res this summer and they had a big problem with the weed, for some reason they couldnt use herbicide...think it might have been because it leased from british waterways...anyway i was chatting to the baliff and he said they were trying P.V.A parcels of blue food coulouring "to stop the sunlight getting to the weed".

it did seem to be knocking the weed back in early summer but havent been back since...so i am not sure of the out come..i could probably find a phone number for the club thats runs it..so you could maybe chat with someone who knows more about it than me..

i cant believe a dr recommended using roundup on a lake with fish in, not saying your lying just very surprised.

normally they would use a exact amount of whatever they use in relation to the size of the lake and then put ??think its hay bales round the lake to soak up the nitrates that build up as the weed dies back otherwise the fish will die.

the lake is question has a golf course next to it and its been said that the fertiliser used on it is running off into the lake and boosting the weed growth.

its also fed from run off from the hills and has 2 sluices that stop it flooding so i cant see them allowing anything to be used to kill the weed.

theres loads of naturals in the lake though and the weed helps with that, ive fished a lake that used to be covered in lillys and weed and since they done it over 10 years ago the lake has never been the same.

A farm lake I fish gets weeded really bad and the farmer there gets in the boat with a spray pack and sprays it with roundup a bit at a time. It works but two things I don't know how much is safe and I believe you can now be prosecuted for treating lakes with weed killer as its classed as pollution.

we used to fish a gravelpit that had a big weed problem but the club would do nothing about it saying the farmer would not let them as they rented it from him and he did not want his cattle drinking the water dont know why

the only way we could fish it was by putting out big beds of bait to certain spots for while the fish seemed to clear a good patch to get a bait to clearly then we would use led clips with the tail rubber just holding so when the fish or we strike the lead came of that made the fish come up from the bottom whilst playing didnt lose half as many this way

some one also told me that as the fish were feeding in the weed that thire mouths became soft as opposed to fish feeding on hard bottoms hence hook pulls whether this is true or not i dont know but it sounds feasible

i know this dont help the weed problem but it is one way of helping to live with it :thumbs:

atb