weed problem on big carp lake

hi guys just been to my anual carp lake meeting which we discussed a number of issues about the lake, the main issue is the weed....

loosing good fish in the weed, in margins and at range,

we recentley had a firm in to cut it all back costing the club 3 grand, this was great but they could only cut the weed 6 foot from the surface of the lake, which in some places of the lake its 12+ foot,

problem is that its a man made lake and has a liner,

there are plenty of activities on the lake like jet skying, wind surfing and canoing,

so what im asking is for some advice on getting rid of the weed,

thanks

carl

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbs:

I'll have a 20quid bag...sounds like home grown to me, especially with the liner... :thumbs:

Thats a bloody tough question. I think a firm with the knowledge would be best to ask... Do the fish grow well in the lake? As i would imagine at certain times(hot weather especially) the lake is drenched of oxegen.. What is the growth rate of the fish...And how many acres is it?

hi guys just been to my anual carp lake meeting which we discussed a number of issues about the lake, the main issue is the weed....

loosing good fish in the weed, in margins and at range,

we recentley had a firm in to cut it all back costing the club 3 grand, this was great but they could only cut the weed 6 foot from the surface of the lake, which in some places of the lake its 12+ foot,

problem is that its a man made lake and has a liner,

there are plenty of activities on the lake like jet skying, wind surfing and canoing,

so what im asking is for some advice on getting rid of the weed,

thanks

carl

hi mate what weed is it . why are you loosing fish

Canadian Pond Weed

Elodea canadensis

Description: Facts:

This weed was introduced from North America at the end of the 19th century and rapidly spread throughout the UK. It is a relatively common water plant in stillwaters in the UK. It can form dense banks of weed that will block waterways and can regrow vegetatively from any small piece left after removal.

its a nightmare ORT

we rake ours out.......time consuming and a regular job.....but if you keep on top of it, its not to bad.

but you will need an army of hardy volunteers for 36 acres :blink:

not sure if there is anything you can treat it with :hmm:

atb

sean

ours is the same, with the weed right up to the surface and big floating patches of it too! we lose a lot of fish through is as we are bringing so much back. its tough to get it clear if i remember right a company came and dropped loads of pellets into the lake last time it was done and it made a fair bit of it go away but not too sure.

cheers

Canadian Pond Weed

Elodea canadensis

Description: Facts:

This weed was introduced from North America at the end of the 19th century and rapidly spread throughout the UK. It is a relatively common water plant in stillwaters in the UK. It can form dense banks of weed that will block waterways and can regrow vegetatively from any small piece left after removal.

it will burn itself out if you leave it alone it will kill it self but to cut it is no good at all you can use casstrong g s r you can get from defe we had it in our lake 6 years ago the cold will kill it to

Could you try stocking some grass carp?

grass carp donot eat weed mate

Feck me I need to give Wikipedia and our fishery manager a good slap then.

phone up eney fish farm with grass carp they dont feed them weed they feed pellit

I think you should know your stuff mate before you try to put someone else down.....

Agrass carp approachs a piece of weed! takes it, and was caught...... :wallbash::wallbash:

post-17284-043642100 1285313393_thumb.jpg