Doing more hunting for permission than hunting at all!

Hi there I am 29 and from Nottingham,I have been hunting,ferreting and working dogs since I was around about 9.As Ive grew older a lot more commitments have come my way so the hunting had too take the back shelf for a while.Now the urge has come back and I am rearing too go.Ive so far been out a couple of evenings with the dog and lamp too some old haunts and had some great sport.Ive since been back too visit the land owners in an attempt to obtain some permission but still even now 11 years on I am still getting the same old reply......"someone all ready shoots here" or "maybe next year lad",needless to say this is very dis heartening.I would understand if I were a teenager turned up at his door with his air rifle all ready for action<but no!, regardless of weather I turned up in our 4x4 looking the part or even if I was in my work suit and turned up in the family saloon I was still getting these knock backs.It seems to me that if your not in the right circles you can kiss goodbye to your sport or carry on going out poachin,running off from the law then if you get caught buy the law it just gives them more ammo to throw at people who enjoy hunting all together,thus giving land owners the ammo to refuse good working people like me the right to carry on enjoying the things they love too do.My son is nearly 8,and shows lots of enthusiasm when I get the rifle out or the dog comes back with a rabbit.How am I going to be able to take him out and show him ferreting and lamping when his old man cant even go and have a good day or nights out without worrying about plod.I no its not my fault as Ive tried all different angles.Thanks for taking the time to read would like to here your views.Keep hunting!

i think you need a soft approach first off mate. just ask for the ferreting only to get your foot in the door.(you can take the dog later and leave a few holes un-netted!) in time the land owner will grow to trust you and give you more options with the dog. asking for lamping permission just asks for the door to be slammed everytime. if they dont know you from adam, how can he believe the dogs stockbroken etc? things get stolen under cover of darkness so i'd put the lamp on hold until theres a bit of trust between yourself and the potential landowner. this worked for me and after a couple of years i had (and still have) free reign to do what i want on thousands of acres.

hope this helps and good luck.

i think you need a soft approach first off mate. just ask for the ferreting only to get your foot in the door.(you can take the dog later and leave a few holes un-netted!) in time the land owner will grow to trust you and give you more options with the dog. asking for lamping permission just asks for the door to be slammed everytime. if they dont know you from adam, how can he believe the dogs stockbroken etc? things get stolen under cover of darkness so i'd put the lamp on hold until theres a bit of trust between yourself and the potential landowner. this worked for me and after a couple of years i had (and still have) free reign to do what i want on thousands of acres.

hope this helps and good luck.

• Like 1

like i said in my write up, ive tried all angles begining with the ferreting still with no avail i have tried the soft approach(arse likin)and even showed some of them some paperwork for my permission at the n.f.f.c training grounds still no joy.got the week off so am gonna try my look again perhaps a bit further out from where i live. i think its time to try a bit of bribary..... awaiting ur reply

a good way of getting permission is going to a typical farmer pub for a while take part in as much stuff there ie poker nights stuff like till the locals know you and think that your all right then start up conversations say that you do a bit of hunting buy them some drinks and then say that your a bit short of permission an you might get some dont jump strait to the dogs go for ferreting first then when they trust you say is it all right if i use the dog all the best finding some mate :thumbs:

like i said in my write up, ive tried all angles begining with the ferreting still with no avail i have tried the soft approach(arse likin)and even showed some of them some paperwork for my permission at the n.f.f.c training grounds still no joy.got the week off so am gonna try my look again perhaps a bit further out from where i live. i think its time to try a bit of bribary..... awaiting ur reply

theirs no point in getting any permish cuz wev all ready hammed it theirs note left round notts anyway

Wait till near harvest time then go and give the farmers a lift, dont say out straight away but see were it leads you later on,if you then get lucky n there happy with you it could then lead you to more permission by word of mouth good luck.

Wait till near harvest time then go and give the farmers a lift, dont say out straight away but see were it leads you later on,if you then get lucky n there happy with you it could then lead you to more permission by word of mouth good luck.

the fields av allready been ploughed rnd ear

i didnt realise you had tried only asking for ferreting, my mistake. looks like you may have the key when you say you will have to try further afield, the further in the sticks the better.where i live, anywhere within 10 mile is a waste of time due to the hassle of towny poachers tearing fields up on a night and theiving along the way. tell landowners that you let them and the police farmwatch scheme know when you go out so they dont get the knock at 3am, it all adds up.once you get the first bit of land, even one field in the sticks, the rest will come easy. one other thing i used to do is not go out late, say 9pm, and search out land with a lamp from the car (leave the dog at home) and where the rabbits are concentrated , get knocking the day after. caravan parks and land bordering them is another good one to try. the park owners are usually sick of the bunnies messing their nice cut grass up with their urine and the farmer usually cant be bothered to deal with them. hope this has been more use, let me know how you do.

It's all about who you know, or who you know, knows. I've got 1000's of acres of permission from chasing up EVERY lead. Like someone else says it's also about getting involved with stuff, going to local farmer pubs (possibly with dog in tow if its well behaved) and get chatting, hopefully it comes up in conversation (hence dog) and goes from there. You could also try beating on a local shoot or syndicate. But first place is does anyone you even know vaguely have ANY connection whatsoever to anyone who owns any land. Once you have a bit act like a saint and then ask the neighbors. I usually lead in with the classic 'i've been asked to clear some rabbits from x's farm and a lot of the sets run along x fence line. To do it properly i could really do with jumping over the fence into your field, just over the fence and i wanted to ask you first rather than just jump over (cos i'm nice and trustworthy and honest like that), Usually this leads to them giving you the whole farm. But yes it's a f****r. Luckily once you have a fair bit you end up with lots.

couldnt be feckn botherd with all the shit you english have to go through with writing permission an that! in ireland we just hunt evrywer ther no such thing as trespassing unless your armed if police are contacted cause sombody not wanting you on ther land police just take details an send you on your way :whistling: an then that land becomes a sneaky on bit :thumbs: you dont get done for poaching an shit like that :boogie:

we have all seen how useless pigs are in ireland mate try watching sky 3 road wars the police over the water are pussies

beleave me ther far from it fella! but the laws on hunting r diffrent pigs here are fully armed compared to england they only have a stupid cosh an can of spray :wallbash: weve no ban can kill foxes with no bother at all from them with lurchers :thumbs:

Guest Arsenal F.C

theirs no point in getting any permish cuz wev all ready hammed it theirs note left round notts anyway

haha wy iii , dint listen to this clown theres nowt left haha:tongue2:

Edited by Arsenal F.C