some adive on my lurcher pup retriveing

yeti

can any body help me and give me some advise on how i get my 6 month old lurcher pup to retrive thanks yes iv done a little with her she is a 5/8 3/8 bull cross she sits and has a good recall iv only had her abouts 2 weeks i just wont her to retrive to hand only rabbits she jumps no bother but she not keen on having any in her mouth she will run and pick things up then justs drops them any help would be helpful cheers ?

Edited by yeti

can any body help me and give me some advise on how i get my 6 month old lurcher pup to retrive thanks

you really should have started before now, but does it have a toy ie a sqeaky one is best i find (gets there attention) start playing with it with the toy get it carrying the toy about. then start calling the dog over but dont take the toy straight away, praise the dog then ease the toy from its mouth and throw it again repeat the process for a while five mins or so. only use that toy for that type of play that dog will hopefully prize the toy highly as it doesnt get all the time. progress slowly as some lurchers are not natural retreivers and it can take along time to get them going. hope this gets the younster on the way.

atb

Steve

can any body help me and give me some advise on how i get my 6 month old lurcher pup to retrive thanks

you really should have started before now, but does it have a toy ie a sqeaky one is best i find (gets there attention) start playing with it with the toy get it carrying the toy about. then start calling the dog over but dont take the toy straight away, praise the dog then ease the toy from its mouth and throw it again repeat the process for a while five mins or so. only use that toy for that type of play that dog will hopefully prize the toy highly as it doesnt get all the time. progress slowly as some lurchers are not natural retreivers and it can take along time to get them going. hope this gets the younster on the way.

atb

Steve

cheers pal

• 3 weeks later...

can any body help me and give me some advise on how i get my 6 month old lurcher pup to retrive thanks yes iv done a little with her she is a 5/8 3/8 bull cross she sits and has a good recall iv only had her abouts 2 weeks i just wont her to retrive to hand only rabbits she jumps no bother but she not keen on having any in her mouth she will run and pick things up then justs drops them any help would be helpful cheers ?

i`ve got a lurcher pup about the same age and i`ve just started training him to retrieve. What i do is get his attention with a squeaky toy so that he wants it, then drop it in front of him and when he picks it up i click my clicker or praise him and reward. then after a while only praise him when he brings it up to your hand, its best to start crouched down, then when hes doing this every time start to throw it a little distance and you mite want to put a long lead on him to make sure he comes back. I do this 5 mins then hide the toy from him 5 mins on the morning then 5 mins at night. Start indoors with no distractions then only when hes doing it every time go out the back were there is no other dogs then try and challenge him with distractions then mabey try a rabbit skin before going for a live one. hope this helps all the best with it.

Edited by daveyace

i`ve got a lurcher pup about the same age and i`ve just started training him to retrieve. What i do is get his attention with a squeaky toy so that he wants it, then drop it in front of him and when he picks it up i click my clicker or praise him and reward. then after a while only praise him when he brings it up to your hand, its best to start crouched down, then when hes doing this every time start to throw it a little distance and you mite want to put a long lead on him to make sure he comes back. I do this 5 mins then hide the toy from him 5 mins on the morning then 5 mins at night. Start indoors with no distractions then only when hes doing it every time go out the back were there is no other dogs then try and challenge him with distractions then mabey try a rabbit skin before going for a live one. hope this helps all the best with it.

cheers pal for the advice