Back To Basics

Any advice on going back to basics. My Vizsla is now 10 months old and starting to go through the teenage years. Recall has never been fantastic and i've tried to only whistle when he is not distracted but even that is starting to diminish. Most of the advice seems to be to run after him and let him know what you are asking / expecting, the trouble is he sees this as a game and runs away ! If there is another dog within 500 yards he's off...only for a play but it's :censored: annoying and I don't want this to continue.

The book I am reading on HPR training advises that most dogs have to go back to basics at some stage, is this walking on the lead etc. ?

Would be grateful for any tips and advice.

Thanks,

I will be interested to find out how you get on as I am picking up my Vizsla pup in 6 weeks time.

All the stuff that I have read says don't chase after the dog as it will soon learn that it can run faster than you! I agree that you should take the dog back to the exact spot where is dissobayed your command and there is the problem. How do you get the dog back to the spot quickly without chasing after it when it could be up to 50m away???

Hi Mate

Been going through the same thing with my Lab. He drives me farkin insane.

I think you have the right idea by going back to basics.

What we are doing is taking him to fields where there aren't as many dogs, we also have a trainer who has been teaching us how to get his recall back. She advised us to call hm back and then for a treat let him go off for a sniff. If he doesn't come back she told us to run off or hide and call him. Obviously when he looks up and sees us legging it in the oposite direction or suddenly disapear behind a bush he runs after us. I was a bit suspect at this but it is working.

All my other training is now done in a tennis court where he cannot escape and there are no distraction and I am doing the sit/stay and retrieve and a little whistle training.

I have heard people say to stop letting them off the lead and others saying they shouldn't be playing with other dogs as well.

Good luck...I feel your pain :)

Hi Mate

Been going through the same thing with my Lab. He drives me farkin insane.

I think you have the right idea by going back to basics.

What we are doing is taking him to fields where there aren't as many dogs, we also have a trainer who has been teaching us how to get his recall back. She advised us to call hm back and then for a treat let him go off for a sniff. If he doesn't come back she told us to run off or hide and call him. Obviously when he looks up and sees us legging it in the oposite direction or suddenly disapear behind a bush he runs after us. I was a bit suspect at this but it is working.

All my other training is now done in a tennis court where he cannot escape and there are no distraction and I am doing the sit/stay and retrieve and a little whistle training.

I have heard people say to stop letting them off the lead and others saying they shouldn't be playing with other dogs as well.

Good luck...I feel your pain :)

Nice to see real people with the same bother,thats what i have been told,go out after the dog and get him easy said eh.

hi guys ive a GSP pup thats rising 5 months and im dreading that teen stage comming, i was told from day one that to teach the recall to give three beeps and run as fast as in the opposit direction and she now turns on a sixpence and nigh on knocks me over "like i say the terible teen stage has to come at some stage" and to reinforce this to do the hide from her and whistle thing if i get it right you can see the look of terror on her face as she franticly runs up and down trying to find me then as she has gone past ill step out and give three peeps and she comes in like mad,

hope this is some help

all the best

d2d

Any advice on going back to basics. My Vizsla is now 10 months old and starting to go through the teenage years. Recall has never been fantastic and i've tried to only whistle when he is not distracted but even that is starting to diminish. Most of the advice seems to be to run after him and let him know what you are asking / expecting, the trouble is he sees this as a game and runs away ! If there is another dog within 500 yards he's off...only for a play but it's :censored: annoying and I don't want this to continue.

The book I am reading on HPR training advises that most dogs have to go back to basics at some stage, is this walking on the lead etc. ?

Thanks,

Well, in my opinion. At ten months playtime should be over. I don't know which book your looking at. But, there are quite a few good ones. If it's one you like, stick with it.

For going back to basics. I guess they are talking about refresher training on basic skills.

For recall, the chasing down and bringing back to where you called him from. Is necessary. You say he treats it like a game. Well, when you catch him. He should know he screwed up. If he thinks it's fun, your not getting the message accross. remember Vizsla's are kindof soft. So, don't over correct. You should know by now how much pressure to use.

The easiest way to train a dog is to do everything in steps. This way, if there is a problem, you can back up to where everything was solid. then start again.

Example:

1. Do recall on a short leash. Dog comes everytime. Praise or treat

2. Use a longer leash. Dog comes everytime. Praise or treat

3. Use a longer leash. Dog comes everytime. Praise or treat.

4. Add distractions. Dog comes everytime. Praise or treat.

5. Move to another location and start again. dog comes everytime. Praise or treat.

6. Back home, without a lead. Dog runs around? catch him up and correct him.

7. Leash comes back. Dog comes everytime.

8. No leash. Dog comes everytime. He's learned.

9.Distractions without lead. dog comes everytime.

10. Move to another location. Dog runs off. catch him up and correct him. call him again without a

leash. He comes. praise or treat. This is how he learns that recalls are absolute.

The baby steps approach works for any command. Remember to be orgainized. Have a plan for each training session. Keep them short and always end on a happy note. If the dogs screwing up on everything that day. Get him to do anything right. Praise the heck out of him and put him up.

Training tables are another usefull tool. Gets the dog up in the air and you can correct and praise him without having to bend over. these started for force fetch training. but are catching on for any type of training. remember, if the dogs jump up and play on it. thats o.k. But if you put them up there to train. No fooling around is tolerated. Everything is as you want. The dog will learn to be happy with this. It's hard to explain, but it will happen.

http://www.navhda.org/table.html

Mines a little different than this one. but I do most dog care and refresher training on it. The dogs like being on it and are easy to work with while on it.

Good luck and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

hi before you get to recall do you have the dog to heel that is a first for the dog before recall i am traning my lab he is 11 mnts old he is to heel it sounds like you have the same probs as me my advice is to get the dog to no who is his master

respecting you then all will fall in place other than the furry finger Atb mike

Thanks,

it could be that he has ignored you when hes been distcacted and you has whistled again and again and hes realised that it doesnt matter if he comes or not so i would go back to the start and only whistle when hes on the lead and try giving him something worth coming back to like cheese or sausage or whatever food he loves and make sure hes hungry when you train him and mabey even go back to indoors and only do 5 mins a day and as soon as hes bored stop and never shout at him. make it a game and try running away and waving your arms so he chases you then when he gets to you give him the food he loves. hope this helps

Thanks,

it could be that he has ignored you when hes been distcacted and you has whistled again and again and hes realised that it doesnt matter if he comes or not so i would go back to the start and only whistle when hes on the lead and try giving him something worth coming back to like cheese or sausage or whatever food he loves and make sure hes hungry when you train him and mabey even go back to indoors and only do 5 mins a day and as soon as hes bored stop and never shout at him. make it a game and try running away and waving your arms so he chases you then when he gets to you give him the food he loves. And only ever whistle once and if he doesnt come just wait till he does. hope this helps

Going back to basics means going right back to the start. People tend to skip over some parts because they feel the dog has got it - whats goes in easily tends to come out just as easily. Your progess through the various stages will be much quicker because your dog is much more mature this time around.

You must go right back and insist the sits and stays are 100% whether the dog is beside or a couple of feet away. You must make sure your heelwork is 100%. Make your whistle work is 100%. Recalls must be perfect. The dog must have no free running - when you take the dog for a walk keep it on the lead or at heel then when you find an enclosed area let the dog off (we usually say 'go play') for a few minutes then recall it. As the dog improves you can let it go for longer each time. If you are going somewhere where you might meet other dogs keep your dog on the lead until you are clear. Gardually when you know the dogs recall is perfect then you can try calling the dog in when you see another dog. All this is basic obedience that you need to get right otherwise the dog will revert back to the behaviour it knows it can get away with.

You will need lots of patience but yopu will get you reward in the end. Good luck