Lakeland x Patterdale

Hi Guys

I know this section is more running dogs but asked the question in the earth dog section and not many positive replies and saw a few posts in this section similar, so here goes.

I am getting a Lakeland x Patterdale bitch pup tonight and would like to know if anyone has had this type of terrier and can give me some advice or tips on what I can expect, achieve and use to get the best out of the dog in the field and in the home.

She is going to be used for working along with the ferrets as a marking, holding and bush dog but also a family dog with kids in the house; I have done my research on the net but wanted some experienced honest opinions.

From the responses in the other section I realise that most of those guys use both breeds individually to go to ground and don’t think as a cross between the two it could be any good for what I want to do, is this how you guys in this section feel as well or do you think I could train this dog to become a good all-round ferreting terrier and family pet?

I have had many working dogs in our family home when growing up but haven’t had a dog for a few years and have my own family now.

A pic of the pups.

post-26888-026130600 1283783080_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Darren

Should be absolutly fine for what you want as long as you train and bring it on right . . . . . there is a certain snobbery amongst the digging guys who believe any above ground work is 'not really work'. Good luck with you pup. . . . i'm sure she will make you very happy!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well got my new Bitch a couple of weeks ago now and she doing well, I did get it a little wrong as she is full Lakeland terrier out of good lines. To be honest im a lot happier with this as wasn’t keen on the Patterdale in it for what I wanted.

The fella I bought her off had Lakeland and patterdale pups not x's and he talked me through it when I went to have a look.

I was keen on getting a Bedlington but I am very happy with the choice of dog I have made and looking forward to the challenges ahead, I wanted a dog that could work the hard hilly ground I work, mark sets and be able to get stuck into the bush's. I didn’t want a dog that was going to run on across big ground after rabbits that had slipped the net. I have stuck this in the terrier section but thought id update this post and say thanks for the comments and advice.

post-26888-037811900 1284985566_thumb.jpg

post-26888-013851400 1284985595_thumb.jpg

post-26888-014568000 1284985576_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys

I know this section is more running dogs but asked the question in the earth dog section and not many positive replies and saw a few posts in this section similar, so here goes.

I am getting a Lakeland x Patterdale bitch pup tonight and would like to know if anyone has had this type of terrier and can give me some advice or tips on what I can expect, achieve and use to get the best out of the dog in the field and in the home.

She is going to be used for working along with the ferrets as a marking, holding and bush dog but also a family dog with kids in the house; I have done my research on the net but wanted some experienced honest opinions.

From the responses in the other section I realise that most of those guys use both breeds individually to go to ground and don’t think as a cross between the two it could be any good for what I want to do, is this how you guys in this section feel as well or do you think I could train this dog to become a good all-round ferreting terrier and family pet?

I have had many working dogs in our family home when growing up but haven’t had a dog for a few years and have my own family now.

A pic of the pups.

post-26888-026130600 1283783080_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Darren

i have a lakie bitch with a smidge of pat,she is mental...but an outstanding worker!i would make sure that you introduce it to ferrets early and do your utmost to get on top and stay on top,if you give an inch they take a mile,very head strong dogs with prey drive to match,dont let it forget that you are the boss...all the best mate

post-51574-005902300 1285194326_thumb.jpgi got a lakelandxpat his 8 month now beenout with my bitch n bull x on every dig i go on just starting giving him a little taste his a gud size strong dog great nose,and coming on great

his the oneon the left the one on the right exceeds my epectations in a earthdog every time im out