hunting woodland

A large amount of the land we work is covered by huge tracts of forest, from very thick pine plantation to more spread out deciduous woodland. A lot of this is cut across with gullys, bankings, bits of fence, streams, patches of bog, the odd pheasent pen . . . you name it. And very little of it is flat. It's a bit of a death trap for a dog, but it's there and we have to deal with it. The dogs go out in it from a young age, playing, running through it and exploring. As young'uns they have plenty of bumps and scrapes, but luckily not at too great a speed, and slowly they find their gears and learn to run clever. But as Chalky said. . . . it's a dangerous old game, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, but few dogs that run that kind of land make old bones.

Guest LancsUK

I run my dog in wooded areas she is a beddy cross and works it fine. Gets the odd cuts and grazes but dont they all? Would'nt run any unknown territory as there could be many hidden dangers. But running in the woods is something different for the dogs :thumbs: different to runnin open ground :boogie:

Used to hunt some lovely sloped woodland back in England and it was tough on the old calves for me, but the dogs loved it.

I would say though, that the terriers often had more success than my lurchers in this particular spot.

post-32-071121600 1283331805_thumb.jpg

A lot of our hunting land has large dense wooded areas, some of it very steep but thats where the rabbits live, so thats where the majority of our time is spent - I would much rather run them out in the open, but its not often possible.

A lot of our land is like this - it looks much worse than it is - once you get accustomed to it it doesnt seem so bad

_DSC4507-34.jpg

_DSC4681-35.jpg

_DSC0872-131.jpg

_DSC4680-34.jpg

most of it is impossible to net, and the dogs don't do so bad considering we don't use them

_DSC4719-68.jpg

sometimes I just have to close my eyes... always happy to get them safely home at the end of the day

Edited by Keeps

My dogs go where I go, I go where the rabbits are, however, I do tend to keep away from wooded areas, especially if you have experienced that sound of "Crack" then a "Yelp!"

Only last year my older dog suffered a injury whilst running into a wood which he has worked in lots of times. 2 months off recovering. It's more luck than a gamble when entering the woods, and that goes for humans too... :icon_redface:

:victory:

• Like 1

i wouldint run a dog in woods unless it was an older dog with experiance so it knows when to use its power i hunt woods with an old experiaced bith nd it proves good bags but seen a 12 month old pup breakining its leg and hip running woods as it was to keen an inexperianced.

i wouldint run a dog in woods unless it was an older dog with experiance so it knows when to use its power i hunt woods with an old experiaced bith nd it proves good bags but seen a 12 month old pup breakining its leg and hip running woods as it was to keen an inexperianced.

How does it get experience of woodland without going in it? If it grows up tearing round open fields it won't have a clue about woodland.