hunting woodland

just a thought if anyone runs their luchers in woodland Iknow this might be a silly topic .I personally do it but know some people dont as there is a risk the dogs can get injured .where I take my dogs there is a lot of wooded areas and the dogs tend to hunt them.I sometimes cant beleive the speed they can run through them and dont hurt themselves maybe this is because they are used to it. My dogs are small beddlington types I rate them highly for this type of hunting. cheers tommy

Had one killed in a wood, rabbit swerved at the last minute and went the other side of a post sized tree, dog was going the opposite side and took the rabbit just as they got to the tree. The dogs head went so far back it caved the back of its scull in, on its own shoulder blades, at least that's what vet reckoned. Now if you really want to do woods you should try a Harris hawk, along with the Goshawk they're made for the job . :)

I work two terriers and a collie/greyhound, cover a fair bit of woodland and chase the odd rabbit and squirrel..never had no injuries to date, but the lurcher been doing it from young and shes very careful compared to some dogs ive run. What bedlington crosses are they...its something im considering getting next.

Had one killed in a wood, rabbit swerved at the last minute and went the other side of a post sized tree, dog was going the opposite side and took the rabbit just as they got to the tree. The dogs head went so far back it caved the back of its scull in, on its own shoulder blades, at least that's what vet reckoned. Now if you really want to do woods you should try a Harris hawk, along with the Goshawk they're made for the job . :)

pretty much the same happened to mine,not pretty :thumbs:

hunted all sorts of woodland pushing game out with my collie lurcher and saluk type had some gresat sport with freinds years ago good bags to ,but you need a good dog to catch in woods regular takes years of expiernce and game sense to no the runs and how they break

[the best dogs for hunting in woodland are alsatian x greyhound .collie x greyhound .labrador x grey hound all 3 crosses have got brains and are well made the alsatian x greyhound is very good as they are heavily built and have good thick pads and have excellent tracking ability.most lurcher to lurcher crosses especially those thaht are very greyhoundy are not suitable to lightly framed and not built for woodland .i have hunted the woods with all types of lurchers and first crosses allways out perform stamina wise and brains wise whaht they generaly lack in speed is made up by thier versatility tho i have has several first x lurchers that were fast . first x is good for ferreting long netting rough cover gun work and pushing cover true lurchers should be capable of all tasks but longdog blooded lurchers are not meant for woods and are only suitable for open land