any help?

aup all...well what it is my 16month pup wont retrieve rabbits to my hand when there is othere dogs about but she will if she is on her own and now and agen when out lamping with my mate and his dogs she will bring them back so far but some time she just leaves them on the ground when i call her still half alive. so cuppel of times the rabbits have got back up agen and ran so she had to catch them agen ive done all the dummie retrieving she dose that find strate back to hand when other dogs are there just wont if the rabbit is alive.. can anyone help me or give me some advice on any think els icould try? atb

aup all...well what it is my 16month pup wont retrieve rabbits to my hand when there is othere dogs about but she will if she is on her own and now and agen when out lamping with my mate and his dogs she will bring them back so far but some time she just leaves them on the ground when i call her still half alive. so cuppel of times the rabbits have got back up agen and ran so she had to catch them agen ive done all the dummie retrieving she dose that find strate back to hand when other dogs are there just wont if the rabbit is alive.. can anyone help me or give me some advice on any think els icould try? atb

All I would suggest is standing away from your mate and his dog while your bitch retrieves her rabbit. This is something that happens particularly with collie bred lurchers. I guess it's one of their potential faults.

All I would suggest is standing away from your mate and his dog while your bitch retrieves her rabbit. This is something that happens particularly with collie bred lurchers. I guess it's one of their potential faults.

i forgot to add that i do that aswell soon as she catchers i walk away form my mate and call her..thanks neways mate

other than lamping on your own i don't know,but just because you walk away from your mate and his dog does not mean yours is not aware of their presence therefore causing it to hold back as it were,at 16month its still a young dog, with plenty of work and a bit more time served it may well come good,be interested to hear what people come up with as i never had this problem before,good luck with it anyway mate :thumbs:

other than lamping on your own i don't know,but just because you walk away from your mate and his dog does not mean yours is not aware of their presence therefore causing it to hold back as it were,at 16month its still a young dog, with plenty of work and a bit more time served it may well come good,be interested to hear what people come up with as i never had this problem before,good luck with it anyway mate :thumbs:

ino its abit of a hard one aint it lol thanks mate

Is it just the same dog she does it with,,? how is she with the other dog ,,have they problems,,maybe try to introduce the the dogs together when not hunting,,as already said , shes still young , with a bit more done she should settle into her trade,,

Is it just the same dog she does it with,,? how is she with the other dog ,,have they problems,,maybe try to introduce the the dogs together when not hunting,,as already said , shes still young , with a bit more done she should settle into her trade,,

no she does it with my older bitch to and my other mate dog and she is no problem with other dogs gets on find with all dogs..

its just a possession / dominance problem mate, basically I would think she just dosnt want to yield while the other mutts are about incase they take it from her....its her prize and she wants it!!

Don't think other than running solo, that there's a great deal yo can do about it. These sort of problems are usually quite deep rooted and difficult to shift.

its just a possession / dominance problem mate, basically I would think she just dosnt want to yield while the other mutts are about incase they take it from her....its her prize and she wants it!!

Don't think other than running solo, that there's a great deal yo can do about it. These sort of problems are usually quite deep rooted and difficult to shift.

thanks mate as you sed she dont want othe dog to take it off her i get as far away as i can from other dogs that are with me but she wont hold the rabbit till i get to her she just dropes it most of the time so i have to grab it off the ground myself but they are still alive as you will no when rabbits are cort they dont really run after being cort but some times they do as she noes this.she lost 4 rabbits in two outing by walking off from them after she cort them.

Edited by minzy

thanks mate as you sed she dont want othe dog to take it off her i get as far away as i can from other dogs that are with me but she wont hold the rabbit till i get to her she just dropes it most of the time so i have to grab it off the ground myself but they are still alive as you will no when rabbits are cort they dont really run after being cort but some times they do as she noes this.she lost 4 rabbits in two outing by walking off from them afther she cort them.

it needs to be taught to hold,not by me though lol,some lad put a thread up long time ago now on here on how to teach this , hopefully one of the proper dog men will put you on the right track :thumbs:

thanks mate as you sed she dont want othe dog to take it off her i get as far away as i can from other dogs that are with me but she wont hold the rabbit till i get to her she just dropes it most of the time so i have to grab it off the ground myself but they are still alive as you will no when rabbits are cort they dont really run after being cort but some times they do as she noes this.she lost 4 rabbits in two outing by walking off from them afther she cort them.

it needs to be taught to hold,not by me though lol,some lad put a thread up long time ago now on here on how to teach this , hopefully one of the proper dog men will put you on the right track :thumbs:

lol well hope so :D