HELP IS NEEDED

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

im 46 years old and i have been ferretting all my life up until last weekend i have never used a locator. if the ferrets are well handled and well fed you might get the odd kill in and a bit of a wait

also as has been said so many times in the past, what if the ferts need vets treatment, will you hope to put a post up, asking if theres another way other than vets   dunno why not there supposed e

I know years ago we used to use a small cheap transistor radio that would pick up the clicking on a mk1 collar set on long wave i dont know if its still possible with todays pocket transistor radios.

you know something dell i was just thinking about that.im really suprised no one has made a cheap replica of some sorts.i bet somewher there is something that some clever c**t has rattled up in the shed.

I know years ago we used to use a small cheap transistor radio that would pick up the clicking on a mk1 collar set on long wave i dont know if its still possible with todays pocket transistor radios.

you know something dell i was just thinking about that.im really suprised no one has made a cheap replica of some sorts.i bet somewher there is something that some clever c**t has rattled up in the shed.

Years ago they used to sell small black transistor radios on rotherham market and one of the lads found out they would pick mk1 collars up though it was funny [bANNED TEXT] useing it with some times picking a music station up wile tuneing in to the collar.Another local lad replicated the mk1 collars but i heard they were a bit unreliable.atb dell

Go back to the old days feed your ferrets well, start on a frosty morning working into the wind ,no excessive noise or walking on the burrow and stop ferreting at a reasonable time dont look for trouble and you can have a good day .

I took a young lad out last season he had three jills and one box and collar working big burrows we ferreted to late in to the afternoon and we lost a rabbit from a burrow that should have been left till the next day but he followed it and put his jill in after it .We bolted one and i prayed that was the one we chased in but it wasn't to be and we had a merry old time trying to find his ferret 1000 foot up a hill at 6pm on a febuary night .We got the jill and got down the hill at 8pm .

Just dont try anything like that and you can get by LOL

Years ago they used to sell small black transistor radios on rotherham market and one of the lads found out they would pick mk1 collars up though it was funny [bANNED TEXT] useing it with some times picking a music station up wile tuneing in to the collar.Another local lad replicated the mk1 collars but i heard they were a bit unreliable.atb dell

used to know an a guy when i was a kid who was really clever at electronics.he made a bug from the guts of a old transistor radio and had it in a fag packet,you then tuned into the radio and it picked up clear as bell.i bugged my mum and dad in the kitchen,boy did i get leathered when he found out lol

Edited by scothunter

well said stroller.im the same never used a locator until a cpl of seasons ago then i gave the bloody thing away pity that cause i would have gave you it.there not for me.you will get the die hard ferreters who wouldnt dream of entering a fert to a warren without a collar.and i aint saying anything against that,but there is absouletley no reason you cant ferret away and have a great day without a locator.just be prepared to wait if you get a lie up.get your self a good hob who will shift lazy jills from a kill if it happens. yea and you can save up may take you a bit of time butyou will get there if you still want one.a loacator is a fair bit of cash for a 12year old to find.and he has stated that, so get out there mate and choose your burrows carefully if you are in doubt.if you do get a lie up and it aint for budging and darkness is drawing in.block of all the holes in the warren.you may need to do a bit of raking to make sure you get them all.then 1st thing in the morning get yourself back there and 9 times out of ten when you unblock a hole your fert will be there to greet you after hearing the noise.stick with it kid and welcome to the world of ferreting :thumbs:

Brilliant reply some ferreters go on like its imposible to ferret without a locator its not but they can save you alot of time waiting if your ferret gets hung up

but i would still advise you get one just to be on the safe side

im 14 and been ferreting for a 2years.ive been told to work ferrets from a year on so their fully grown and wont get beat up by the rabbits.(trampled) otherwise they wont go down for you. as it is i go ferreting as often as i can with mates. we just net up the holes and enter the ferrets. NO locators at all. all we do is stand back with a good view of the burrow for the ferrat to come back out. my jill has never lay down with a rabbit always bolted them.

hope this helps jarrod

im 14 and been ferreting for a 2years.ive been told to work ferrets from a year on so their fully grown and wont get beat up by the rabbits.(trampled) otherwise they wont go down for you. as it is i go ferreting as often as i can with mates. we just net up the holes and enter the ferrets. NO locators at all. all we do is stand back with a good view of the burrow for the ferrat to come back out. my jill has never lay down with a rabbit always bolted them.

hope this helps jarrod

THANKS JARROD WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE ONBOARD MINE ARE ONLY 3 MONTHS at the mom so wont be ferreting fora while got some pursenets dwhat do u do with the rabbits you catch ?

This isnt a daft as it may seem.

I asked a guy off another forum if his dad could fix my locator.

He said np send it but have you tried a LW radio it will work.

His dad was a bit of a wiz and found that a LW radio picked up the signal from a MK1 collar.

Use the tuning dial to find the signal ]best done before you go into the field] and the volume control to determine the depth! [again practice befopre venturing out]

I guess mark the vol dial with numbers to give you a depth!

I have never tried it myself as I got a good deal on a MK3 with collars!

hope this helps jarrod

THANKS JARROD WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE ONBOARD MINE ARE ONLY 3 MONTHS at the mom so wont be ferreting fora while got some pursenets dwhat do u do with the rabbits you catch ?

Kitts are fully grown at 18weeks of age so Josh back end of October you could start working them nice and steady to begin with :thumbs:

Jarrodev I always gut the rabbits before freezing them

Y.I.S Leeview

Locators are worth there wait in gold if used properly look on ebay type in ferret finder the old type mk1s are useally on there 2nd hand far cheeper than the new ones but if you persist only ferret small sets so if they lay up its less likely to be as hard work to get your ferrets compared to a huge warren.

As i say to people you only get out what you put in spend some money on things you need and you wont regret it.