range on shotguns

Hi guys , I was wandering what shotgun has the furthest range and would still take a pigeon down ???

Would a 12,16 or 20 gauge shotgun be more powerful and have a good range or am i looking at the wrong shotguns,, i apprechiated!

12 would give you most range.

but it shouldnt be about who can shoot the furthest, it should be about who can bring them the closest

trust me, you will feel you have accomplished more if you can bring the quarry to you rather than just shooting at long ranges, plus the fact that you are risking injuring alot of what you shoot at and thats just disrespectful!!

any of the guns above will kill a pigeon with the right load and within a distance... if you want the longest range then get a 4 bore, but you wont want to be shooting that all day long and there wont be much left of a pigeon!

a 12bore is a good all round gun

• Like 1

Is it not almost same distance, but varying shot pattern etc?

Edited to say that the size shot will also make the biggest difference.

With a 12 bore it's something like -

No. 2 - 330 yards

No. 4 - 286 yards

No. 6 - 242 yards

No. 7 1/2- 209 yards

No. 8 - 198 yards

(Max range)

Altitude also effects it. According to data published by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute, the maximum range for No. 7 1/2 shot is 780 feet at sea level but increases to 1,080 feet at high altitude (12,000 ft.).

Edited by Ideation

Is it not almost same distance, but varying shot pattern etc?

Edited to say that the size shot will also make the biggest difference.

With a 12 bore it's something like -

No. 2 - 330 yards

No. 4 - 286 yards

No. 6 - 242 yards

No. 7 1/2- 209 yards

No. 8 - 198 yards

(Max range)

Altitude also effects it. According to data published by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute, the maximum range for No. 7 1/2 shot is 780 feet at sea level but increases to 1,080 feet at high altitude (12,000 ft.).

this is how far the pellet may travel but not the range you should be shooting at living animals!

I think it really depends on the shot size and choke more than the gauge of the gun, ie a 20 bore with a 30g load and full choke will kill than a 12 bore with no choke or vise versa. I find that i kill pigeons cleaner with my 20 bore than my friend does with his 12 bore.

Hi guys , I was wandering what shotgun has the furthest range and would still take a pigeon down ???

Would a 12,16 or 20 gauge shotgun be more powerful and have a good range or am i looking at the wrong shotguns,, i apprechiated!

12 would give you most range.

but it shouldnt be about who can shoot the furthest, it should be about who can bring them the closest

trust me, you will feel you have accomplished more if you can bring the quarry to you rather than just shooting at long ranges, plus the fact that you are risking injuring alot of what you shoot at and thats just disrespectful!!

any of the guns above will kill a pigeon with the right load and within a distance... if you want the longest range then get a 4 bore, but you wont want to be shooting that all day long and there wont be much left of a pigeon!

a 12bore is a good all round gun

had the same debate with some one who i went shooting with last week. he isnt the best shot but wants to shoot at everything he sees and i have to keep saying to him slow down and wait till it comes into your patten or within killing range. you will only probably wing it at best so then you need to get out there and finish it off which only gives your postion away and if you miss you have just educated that bird and anyothers that might be just coming in and like you said everything deserves a quick death and agree with you its about getting them to come in close and if you can do that you know you are doing something right with your deeks, hide and postion. i use a 12bore with No6 clear pigeon and thats works well with me and my style of shooting.

Edited by saxonmaster
u instead of you, is text talk

Go here: Remington brochures

Download "Remington Guide to Shotguns"

Explains most variables affecting shotgun range (i.e. chokes, shell size/charge, shot size etc...).

Cheers,

Mark