manchester terrier, anybody work them?

The Manchester Terrier is the oldest known terrier breed. Developed as a rat hunter in nineteenth century Manchester, England by a man named John Hulme. It has earned the nickname of "rat terrier" because of it's tenacity at catching rats and mice. It is considered to be the best vermin hunting breed. In a British contest one Manchester named Billy was said to have killed 100 rats in only 6 minutes and 13 seconds.,This is the bit that caught my eye 100 rat's in 6 minits thats some going tha!, thanks 4 the reply

KC have fcked most dogs up from what they origanaly was esp Staffys & English Bulldogs which used to grow up to 20inc

very leggy animals,

The Manchester terrier i had was given 2 me as a 14 month old pup due to attacking anything that moved :tongue2: and

as i stated was v good worker maybe just a 1 off throw back aint seen v many since, all the best !!!

The Manchester Terrier is the oldest known terrier breed. Developed as a rat hunter in nineteenth century Manchester, England by a man named John Hulme. It has earned the nickname of "rat terrier" because of it's tenacity at catching rats and mice. It is considered to be the best vermin hunting breed. In a British contest one Manchester named Billy was said to have killed 100 rats in only 6 minutes and 13 seconds.,This is the bit that caught my eye 100 rat's in 6 minits thats some going tha!, thanks 4 the reply

I could be wrong,but I think Billy was a bulldog/terrier? I do like the manchester though-I reckon it would still rat/rabbit given the right schooling.

In a British contest one Manchester named Billy was said to have killed 100 rats in only 6 minutes and 13 seconds.,This is the bit that caught my eye 100 rat's in 6 minits thats some going tha!, thanks 4 the reply

Billy was a bulldog x bull and terrier but is widely regarded as "one" of the fathers of the breed. He certainly wasn't a Manchester.

In a British contest one Manchester named Billy was said to have killed 100 rats in only 6 minutes and 13 seconds.,This is the bit that caught my eye 100 rat's in 6 minits thats some going tha!, thanks 4 the reply

Billy was a bulldog x bull and terrier but is widely regarded as "one" of the fathers of the breed. He certainly wasn't a Manchester.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/manchesterterrier.htm this is the link where i read it like its down in the origin box

was a t a show a few weeks back and a couple had i think 2 oe 3 with them there looked like mini pinscers leggy dogs and quite flighty didnt take to the judge tacking hold of it for in spection kept trying to spin round and nab him havenyt seen any round here before . doubt i will for a while either..

was a t a show a few weeks back and a couple had i think 2 oe 3 with them there looked like mini pinscers leggy dogs and quite flighty didnt take to the judge tacking hold of it for in spection kept trying to spin round and nab him havenyt seen any round here before . doubt i will for a while either..

av jus been watching them do agillity tests on youtube with the [bANNED TEXT] trainig i think they would make top dogs, an ther abit unusual

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/manchesterterrier.htm this is the link where i read it like its down in the origin box

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that nonsense mate. Just club folk trying to lend credence to their types from association with famous working dogs.

Billy was white for a start :thumbs:

post-32-017299900 1282764301_thumb.jpg

the modern day manchester terrier is about as much use as a bottomless bucket there so inbred skitish things with common faults ie kidney problem brittle bones etc etc lot also suffer from fits what use is that as a working dog , the show kc lot and working terriers should never mix it always in a down hill slope

Kc load of shite id like to see one go to ground and tackle a fox the like the one on the right or even a small vixen

They never were bred for foxes or even going to ground after anything else for that matter... :no: You may as well slag a whippet off for not being able to go to ground and work fox... :whistling::laugh:

the modern day manchester terrier is about as much use as a bottomless bucket there so inbred skitish things with common faults ie kidney problem brittle bones etc etc lot also suffer from fits what use is that as a working dog , the show kc lot and working terriers should never mix it always in a down hill slope

Spot on. :thumbs:

Edited by maltenby

i agree kc and working should never be crossed or compared 2 totally different areas in my opinion but i would like to see some day a proper working class show based on the dogs ability to work ie gun dogs scored on there ability in the feild be it peg or bush or water and trials determine the out come terriers based on thre ability to find and work simulated that is to a certain standed and lurchers on there ability to course and work a simulated course to keep with in the law. all dogs seen in kc shows seem to be over weight to large to bulky to work suffer from god knows what ailments due to the kc standeds staiting that they must look and move in there warped standed minds. boils my piss what they have done to the breeds of dogs in years gone by. dont get me wrong i beleive some lines of dogs may need an out cross along the line because the gene pool is week for that breed after all there is no such thing as a pure breed all dogs were crossed at some point in history. :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

Hope folk don't mind me bumping this back up.

My first dog was a Manchester Terrier. Back in late 70's my Mum got her from Grimsby. I was only 4 and she was a bloody brilliant little dog.

I hadn't seen a ''manny'' for decades after but when I did last year I was mortified at the appearance of the ones I seen. I just wondered if anyone has any piks of theirs to share as the bitch I had was nothing like the one's I've seen recently!

I should find some old piks of her and get them scanned on here. :thumbs: