whats the best gauge for pigeon hunting

id stick with the 12 because cartridges will be cheaper :icon_redface:

this is the main reason i use the 12 most

but i have had big bags over decoys with 20bore and 28 bore, less range but still do the job

i use 28 bore for partridge shooting and use 20 for driven pheasant

12 gauge is the workhorse, it is cheapest to use and cheapest to buy

i have also decoyed pigeons with a .410

you could even use a 4 bore if u so desire

they will all kill pigeons, pheasant etc at the right range

but for an all round gun you simply cant beat the 12bore, especially if you are on a tight budget!

if money allows and you are small and not so strong then go for a 20 bore, i think they are fantastic as i am off a smaller build but when it comes to using 1000s of cartridges each summer on pigeons i just cannot afford to run it

oh and 16 gauge cartridges, dont know about your local gunshops but around here they really arent cheap, 50% more than what the 20 bore is and the 20 bore is a good bit more than the 12!

Edited by jclay91

Thanks for the replies , and whats the best type of shotguns 12 gauge , pump action , semi-automatic ,long barrel or short barrel for rabbit and pigeon shooting

all depend son what suits you, your best bet would be to go to a clay ground and have a go with a few different 1s and see what you prefer

i have semi auto with 28inch barrels for shooting pigeons, purely for the reason you dont have to break the barrels to load so can load in confined spaces (such as the hide)

i use the semi auto for ducks and geese as it takes bigger cartridges

i use over and under and side by side for game shooting depending where i am and how high the driven birds are!

i have used side by side/over and under/semi and pump on pigeons and rabbits, in the hide, rough shooting and lamping from vehicle...

i prefer the semi, but that doesnt mean you will, try a few of each and then make up your mind mate

they all have ther advantages and disadvantages, i recommend you buy the 1 you enjoy shooting the most with!!