lurcher

what do you expect from the dog exactly,from the moment you net up,and do you want her to take rabbits in the nets or leave those and just take ones that have escaped the net/or from a missed bolt hole as it were.

just want a typical example of how you go about it and what you expect the dog to be doing,thanks rob

i expect the dog to hold in the nets i have a bit of bother getting about quick enough so its imperative the dog holds for me but if there is a bolt behind the netted rabbit i would expect her to catch the un netted rabbit.

i have a little dog 16 months old just under 23" and she was out a few times at the back end of last season and i found her really useful for those horrible hedge sets which are low thorny and nasty.

a dog has to be able to mark a set well nothing worse than putting 20 nets down to discover no rabbits!

i think a good ferreting dog develops over time and both of you man and dog learn how the other works. you dont see many good ferreting dogs for sale

i expect the dog to hold in the nets i have a bit of bother getting about quick enough so its imperative the dog holds for me but if there is a bolt behind the netted rabbit i would expect her to catch the un netted rabbit.

i have a little dog 16 months old just under 23" and she was out a few times at the back end of last season and i found her really useful for those horrible hedge sets which are low thorny and nasty.

a dog has to be able to mark a set well nothing worse than putting 20 nets down to discover no rabbits!

i think a good ferreting dog develops over time and both of you man and dog learn how the other works. you dont see many good ferreting dogs for sale

i know what your saying and thanks for that,i did read on another thread that they wouldn't want the dog to take rabbits in the net for fear of damaging the nets,just wondered what others thought,have had plenty slip the net over the years so i want her to hold them in the nets(purse),lets be honest they not to difficult to replace,but what if they are netted in a long net? :thumbs:

Im quiet happy to let my dog wander over the burrow holding netted rabbits till i get to them that way if one slips the net shes right on to them .shes like another pair of hands working a burrow

Im quiet happy to let my dog wander over the burrow holding netted rabbits till i get to them that way if one slips the net shes right on to them .shes like another pair of hands working a burrow

thats pretty much what i want from my dog getting a bit old to be goal keeping now days, just want the extra help as you say :thumbs:

Usually when someone says they're quite happy for their dog to do something it really means they cant stop it from doing it.... :whistling:

so your input is?????

Not got a ferreting dog now other than a gsp that marks and then stays where I put it. When I did have a ferreting dog it was expected to mark and then stay where put until something did a runner, was not allowed to touch rabbits in nets .To my mind a dog mouthing rabbits in nets is just a nuisance.

In my opinon it depends alot on the ground you work and how you work. My jrtxwhippet is, i think, a very good ferreting dog. The main feature needed is concerntration, he is loose on top of the bury and lets me know through his body language whats going on below. I dont use many purse nets as i do alot of big buries that would just take too long to net up. I tend to longnet round the bury and them zig zag another long net through it. His job is to keep up with whats going on below and be in the right place to either catch bolters before they hit the nets, pressure them into the nets rather than them just hole hopping and then to hold them til i get there. Some of these buries are in fairly thick woods up to 50-60 yards long its ok if theres 2 people as you can have a side each but if im on my own then holding is vital. It would not be the case if i was only doing 10 hole buries with purse nets so as i said, it depends on what your ground is like :thumbs:

Edited by Tyla

and a rabbit that gets out of a net cos im too old and knackered is a wasted bunny, its horses for courses

A rabbit that gets out of the net should be caught by the dog, that's what its there for, if a dog cant catch a rabbit that's delayed by hitting the net then you need a new dog. And a rabbit that gets out of the net and gets away, while your dog mouths a well netted rabbit is also a wasted rabbit.

Edited by romany52

in my world mate i want the dog to hold the rabbit in the net, you teach yours different obviously. and ive seen the quickest sharpest dog lose a rabbit or fluff a net, they are only dogs after allbut then again its a hobby with me and if i havent got the best dogs in the world then thats fine i wont be passing them from pillar to post, they have a home here till they end their days

in my world mate i want the dog to hold the rabbit in the net, you teach yours different obviously. and ive seen the quickest sharpest dog lose a rabbit or fluff a net, they are only dogs after allbut then again its a hobby with me and if i havent got the best dogs in the world then thats fine i wont be passing them from pillar to post, they have a home here till they end their days

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Not sure what your suggesting, but I don't pass mine either,I've two fell terriers here both 14 years old. And you were the first to mention wasted rabbits, in my mind they are never wasted, just there to catch another day.

Edited by romany52