Cleaning Shell Cases..........Tumblers or Ulra sonic cleaners ???

Tumblers Or Ultra Sonic Cleaners  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Tumblers Or Ultra Sonic Cleaners

• I use Tumblers
    • I use Ultra Sonic Cleaners
    • I use Both

Hiya Guys,

I am getting myself into reloading and am considering how to best clean my shell cases.

Can you give me your opinion please.

Ultrasonic cleaners or shell case tumblers ???

Please give only your experiences and not hear say.

Edited by robbobsam

Hiya Guys,

I am getting myself into reloading and am considering how to best clean my shell cases.

Can you give me your opinion please.

Ultrasonic cleaners or shell case tumblers ???

Please give only your experiences and not hear say.

Ultrasonic cleaners do inside and out case tumblers only do the out side? It's make your mind up time.

Shootingcharley

surely you only clean the case to stop it getting stuck in the die or scratching the chamber

IMHO if you go to the trouble of checking neck run out / bullet run out, uniforming primer pockets, correctly trimming cases and all. Then it's madness not to make sure you are reloading clean brass. It never fails to amaze me how much crud actually comes out of the brass after a good clean.

However there are plenty of reloaders who never clean their brass, as there are plenty of rifle shooters who never clean their rifle barrels.

John

i use a Tumbler and contrary to belief they do clean the inside if you use a small particle cleaner i use crushed walnut

paul

Hi Paul, I would be interested to know which brand of media you use. I have some here which is mixed with jewellers rouge and did try some of the stuff from the pet shop, which ended with me throwing 40 Lapua .243 cases (once fired) in the bin, due to the corn cob media becoming jammed in the cases, to such an extent it took 20 mins to clear just one case. I normally tumbler for a few hours, then US clean, the mess that comes out of the cases with the US cleaner has to be seen to be believed. It would be great to use a media in my tumbler that would clean as well as the US, any guidance would be great.

John

i use a Tumbler and contrary to belief they do clean the inside if you use a small particle cleaner i use crushed walnut

paul

Hi Paul, I would be interested to know which brand of media you use. I have some here which is mixed with jewellers rouge and did try some of the stuff from the pet shop, which ended with me throwing 40 Lapua .243 cases (once fired) in the bin, due to the corn cob media becoming jammed in the cases, to such an extent it took 20 mins to clear just one case. I normally tumbler for a few hours, then US clean, the mess that comes out of the cases with the US cleaner has to be seen to be believed. It would be great to use a media in my tumbler that would clean as well as the US, any guidance would be great.

John

I changed from a US cleaner to a tumbler purely due to the F-about factor of mixing stuf, running numerous cycles, washing, rinsing, drying etc etc. Now I just bung in the tumbler with crushed walnut lizard bedding, leave for a few hours (timer plug while I am at work) and job's a good'n. I suppose if you are endeavouring to put all your rounds through the same hole at 1000yds there may be some benefit from US cleaning your cases to perfection. I still manage to get them all touching at 100yds which is good enough for me.