Live Fox Trap - Recommendations?

Guys

I have a fox coming into my chicken pens. Its had 4 when I forgot to shut them away at night. This morning there was a heap of black sh*t in the pen and it wasn't from my dogs!! I've found where its possibly getting in under the fence from my veg plot. It seems to be coming along the river bank as my cockers tracked it but it goes out of my property.

I can't use snares as part of the land has houses backing on to it so could have cats around.

My question is are there any suppliers of live fox traps that someone can recommend as there are loads when you Google!!

Also if the trap catches one would a shotgun 'wreck' it when despatching? I only have shotguns and a legal limit air rifle.

Cheers

Simon

there are some in the countrymans weekly often for sale or go on the for sale section on this site as there are sometimes some for sale..

ive used shotguns to dispatch them in cages but from close range otherwise theres a chance of knackering the cage..failing that,borrow a 410 from a friend

cant recomend any suppliers, as mine found its way to me via work, but suggest you buy as big as you can afford, theres lots of so called traps out there, that look way too small to entice a fox into, as a minimum Id say 5ft long 24" square

and on the shotgun for dispatch, just make sure you have soft earth/grass under the cage, or move it for dispatch, as a 12 bore will probably pass straight through, I use a hushpower 410 with sub sonics for cage dispatch, and it does the job 100% humanly :thumbs:

post-5267-006065900 1281874342_thumb.jpg

cant recomend any suppliers, as mine found its way to me via work, but suggest you buy as big as you can afford, theres lots of so called traps out there, that look way too small to entice a fox into, as a minimum Id say 5ft long 24" square

and on the shotgun for dispatch, just make sure you have soft earth/grass under the cage, or move it for dispatch, as a 12 bore will probably pass straight through, I use a hushpower 410 with sub sonics for cage dispatch, and it does the job 100% humanly :thumbs:

post-5267-006065900 1281874342_thumb.jpg

forgot to say,bigger cage the better.

regarding using the shotgun,you must push the barrel through the bars and as stubby said,make sure there is a soft back ground and no onlookers!

Although a fox is vermin,please give it respect and a humane and quick death :thumbs:

Good advice Earth. :thumbs:

Rigid traps are the best.

Flat pack traps can be a bit flimsy if being used on a regular basis.

Make sure you know what you are going to do with your trapped fox once you have caught it.

You don't want to break any animal welfare legislation, especially if it is riddled with mange.

post-45910-008160800 1281982522_thumb.jpg

Edited by Urban Fox Control London

Cheers

These aren't urban foxes and I think they are young as we didn't have the problem last year. We can hear them barking on our land and in the neighbouring gardens, so I'm hoping to revove some of the juveniles and the balance will be restored!!

This seems to fit the bill

http://www.johnunderwoods.co.uk/5ft-heavy-duty-galvanised%28galvanized%29-live-fox-cage-p364.html

Any comments?

Simon

Good advice Earth. :thumbs:

Rigid traps are the best.

Flat pack traps can be a bit flimsy if being used on a regular basis.

Make sure you know what you are going to do with your trapped fox once you have caught it.

You don't want to break any animal welfare legislation, especially if it is riddled with mange.

i have a couple of those john underwood cage traps and they work fine but as don said make sure the bars are ground flat , i tend to set the trap and cable tie the door open for a couple of day then mr fox gets used to it then cut the cable tie and the next time he come nosing the door shuts and he s yours

i have a couple of those john underwood cage traps and they work fine but as don said make sure the bars are ground flat , i tend to set the trap and cable tie the door open for a couple of day then mr fox gets used to it then cut the cable tie and the next time he come nosing the door shuts and he s yours

good tip about the wire ties - getting them used to the trap!

good tip about the wire ties - getting them used to the trap!

think about it...let the fox get used to the trap, do you think that if youleft it open then if it was getting used to the trap and happened to take the bait it would save you a few days..also some foxes refuse to take a hung chicken from a trap as its not natural for them to find chickens/bait hung ready for them...sometimes its better to alter the trap so that the bait can be left laying in the floor and then the foxfinds it less suspicious...just a suggestion...

im not a fan of tradel plates either i just use a piece of bailing twine put it round the chicken or rabbit but make it long enough so its laid on the trap floor so it looks natural. have them traps got a mechanism for locking the door once its tripped.