such a big difference

last week I sighted my rimmy up, using eley subs, zero'd the scope to 60yds, at 70yds it was one mil dot under, and 82yds was one and half mil dots under, bang on, I was putting bullet on bullet

now out lamping tonight, of course, distances harder to judge, but was using winchester subs, put the crosshairs on a rabbit, perfect engine room shot, right where I was aiming, but on walking to it, it was out at 82yds :hmm: by my reckoning that would have missed using eley's, so is it all down to different ammo, or was there another reason :hmm:

Different brands do make the difference and their are many factors as to why they differ be it different priming mixture,powder,case neck tension even different bullet lube even though they are branded as subsonic the actual muzzle velocity can vary and if I remember correctly Eley subs are considered to be on the slow side the best way to tell would be to chronograph the 2 loads.

• Like 1

Same here i prefer whinchester there all i will use ,and you might find your guns sweeter on one brand than other no ejector problem, tighter grouping ect as your finding out

They are both subs so flying at a very similar speed and they are both 40g.

There will always be a slight difference and barrels favour some rounds more than others, but that variation seems a lot!!

Edited by Deker

Yes you will find a massive difference in each brand, down to dirrening components used, such as powder, brass, bullet head, and rim thickness on the base of the brass, this will all have an effect on velocity, accuracy, and POI,

If changing brands always recheck zero, and also impact at differing ranges...

if your really fussy, you can get a rim thickness gauge, and sort out your ammo according to rim thickness, this will make a difference to rimfire cases...

Snap.

win subs all the way,i think eley run a little lower,or the wins do,either way there is a difference, :icon_eek: ,should allways check your zero before starting to shoot,only takes 2 mins,thats why i allways zero mine in at 18yds,cant be arsed walking 50 yds to look at targets,whats the point :D ,

and i hit most things out to around a 100 yd mark,just get to know your rifle,it pays in the long run,0k,ian

last week I sighted my rimmy up, using eley subs, zero'd the scope to 60yds, at 70yds it was one mil dot under, and 82yds was one and half mil dots under, bang on, I was putting bullet on bullet

now out lamping tonight, of course, distances harder to judge, but was using winchester subs, put the crosshairs on a rabbit, perfect engine room shot, right where I was aiming, but on walking to it, it was out at 82yds :hmm: by my reckoning that would have missed using eley's, so is it all down to different ammo, or was there another reason :hmm:

There will be some differences between brands. Depends what you're feeding the rifle and how much it likes or dislikes them.

There is also a difference between zeroing and shooting in the field. Zeroing is done at a predetermined range, in good conditions, with a good rest, at a time you're rested and content so your heart rate is nice and slow.

Shooting in the field is done in variable weather, at differing ranges, sometimes using marginal at best rests, after you've walked/crawled/ran 10-300 yards, under time pressure.

So it could be either :D

We've all made this mistake over the years, but there's so many factors to take into consideration with different rounds that you should always zero your rifle with the rounds you intend to use, whether it's as low powered as an air rifle or something as high powered as a 338 LM.

I gather that you are pacing out your range? Don't trust that too far. 75 yards in daylight over a flat field can feel very different from 75 yards at night over rough ground. Borrow a laser rangefinder.

Ric

thats a big problem,lot of peeps,oh i shot all my bunnies at xx yds last night,paced it out,bolloks,xx yds turns out to be about 30 yds max,lot different at night on the lamp,especially when useing a little gun mounted lamp,with a filter on,few shocks in store when they actually laser range them selves,50 yds seems miles on a lamp depending on its power of course,all the fun of the fair,must be in a bitchy mood the day,ian :doh:

thats a big problem,lot of peeps,oh i shot all my bunnies at xx yds last night,paced it out,bolloks,xx yds turns out to be about 30 yds max,lot different at night on the lamp,especially when useing a little gun mounted lamp,with a filter on,few shocks in store when they actually laser range them selves,50 yds seems miles on a lamp depending on its power of course,all the fun of the fair,must be in a bitchy mood the day,ian :doh:

Nah bitchy me...never.. I actually bought some winchesters in when there was a shortage of eley about... Thing is when I go out for big numbers for a gamedealer, I want head shot rabbits, the winchester's don't perform in my gun, nowhere near the eley groupings... I'll get the winnies used up this next couple of weeks, just chest shooting,to start dropping the numbers...

your correct on my need to go out and test different brands through the CZ, picked up both eleys and winchesters last visit to the dealers, I feel the gun favours eley's, but have not put that many winchesters through it, to be 100% sure, although you do seem to get more of a "whack" when they hit the rabbits, than what you get from eley's

as for walking out distances,I could understand if it was rough ground, but it was as flat as a snooker table (a green at the golf course) and as I walk out distances every night of the week, measuring stations for pigeon netting, I know I dont make mistakes on that score

your correct on my need to go out and test different brands through the CZ, picked up both eleys and winchesters last visit to the dealers, I feel the gun favours eley's, but have not put that many winchesters through it, to be 100% sure, although you do seem to get more of a "whack" when they hit the rabbits, than what you get from eley's

as for walking out distances,I could understand if it was rough ground, but it was as flat as a snooker table (a green at the golf course) and as I walk out distances every night of the week, measuring stations for pigeon netting, I know I dont make mistakes on that score

The Winchester have a much bigger HP than the Eley and tend to open up more on impact, making a bigger hole and doing more damage, hence the different impact tone commonly! :thumbs: