collie/whippet

first cross for me grew up with these types of course type of whippet used has a big influence we prefer to bwra racing type across fell type curs these type usually make good ferriting lamp and mooch dogs smaller than collie grey easier to keep less expensive to feed and of course less conspicious

im interested in this cross a lot,but split between these and a whippet/greyhound and grey/collie,which would be best for ferreting,mooching,lamping,and gun work? :hmm:

I have a whippet/colie/grey and its awsome lampin the rabbits, but his main thing is ferreting. very clever dog.

im interested in this cross a lot,but split between these and a whippet/greyhound and grey/collie,which would be best for ferreting,mooching,lamping,and gun work? :hmm:

I have a whippet/colie/grey and its awsome lampin the rabbits, but his main thing is ferreting. very clever dog.

I HAVE COLLIEXWHIPPX GREY handy on the lamp rabbits big rabbits and red rabbits 21.5tts get 1 lad you wont be dissapointed

I HAVE COLLIEXWHIPPX GREY handy on the lamp rabbits big rabbits and red rabbits 21.5tts get 1 lad you wont be dissapointed

is that supercharlie :icon_eek: can he catch anything durin the day,probably herpies from the small one :whistling:

it sure is no bother big rabbits day time in small fields and red rabbits on lamp no bother hes a midget oh ya your 2 ist x deer/greys shyed away from reds on the lamp how many dogs have you shot in the last 2 years ??? probally have to save on the food so you can afford a wheel chair for wifey haaaaaaaaaa

I have a ten month old 3/4 whippet collie, just started him off and had two rabbits each time out. Very fast, clever and obedient, hunts the bushes, walks to heel off the lead when there is rabbits running in front of him, stays, retrieves and jumps big gates for fun. Very easy to train. Hopefully he will be a good ferreting dog to only time will tell.

ive a first x collie whippet pup 12mths, starting out very well, so easy to handle and train in comparison to other lurchers ive had in the past, wants to please, good on retrieve, handy size, good recall, quick learner. to say im pleased with her is an understatement, she wont make a world beater but she makes up for it in so many other areas.

I've been thinking about this cross recently. In the past I've owned collie/greyhound crosses and a collie/saluki cross as well. I've actually been without a dog for a while, but now I'm getting another. I've gone for a whippet/terrier cross because I wanted something a dog I could go bushing and ferreting with but it also needed to be small as I travel a lot with work and want something I can take in the van with me. Anyway having not had a dog for a while, and having not really hunted for almost 10 years the prospect of getting a new dog has got me going again and thinking about more dogs.

I like the idea of whippet bred lurchers. One of the best dogs I had was an alsatian x collie bred to a greyhound, but she was small. I was young at the time and I don't think I really appreciated what I had. The other problem was that prior to her I'd only had terrier crosses and I didn't really understand the bitch - being collie bred she was completely different in temperament.

So I have been thinking that in a few years I might look round for a 3/4whippet 1/4 collie or perhaps even a 1st cross. I'd certainly be interested in seeing pictures of peoples collie/whippets. Do people pick particular collie 'types' to breed these dogs from?

I've been thinking about this cross recently. In the past I've owned collie/greyhound crosses and a collie/saluki cross as well. I've actually been without a dog for a while, but now I'm getting another. I've gone for a whippet/terrier cross because I wanted something a dog I could go bushing and ferreting with but it also needed to be small as I travel a lot with work and want something I can take in the van with me. Anyway having not had a dog for a while, and having not really hunted for almost 10 years the prospect of getting a new dog has got me going again and thinking about more dogs.

I like the idea of whippet bred lurchers. One of the best dogs I had was an alsatian x collie bred to a greyhound, but she was small. I was young at the time and I don't think I really appreciated what I had. The other problem was that prior to her I'd only had terrier crosses and I didn't really understand the bitch - being collie bred she was completely different in temperament.

So I have been thinking that in a few years I might look round for a 3/4whippet 1/4 collie or perhaps even a 1st cross. I'd certainly be interested in seeing pictures of peoples collie/whippets. Do people pick particular collie 'types' to breed these dogs from?

if i was going to breed a lurcher useing collie blood i'd go for a hill collie, light bone but wirey and highly intelligent and agile, handsome too....

if i was going to breed a lurcher useing collie blood i'd go for a hill collie, light bone but wirey and highly intelligent and agile, handsome too....

Makes sense - I guess what I was wondering was whether one would pick a different type of collie to cross with a whippet than you'd cross with a greyhound?

Makes sense - I guess what I was wondering was whether one would pick a different type of collie to cross with a whippet than you'd cross with a greyhound?

I see your point you know, the whippet is wiry enough, might you go for one with a bit more bulk about it?