Plummers as good as any??!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shamo why does anyone have to prove how a plummer works , how long have you had terriers? i got a terrier off plummer a long time ago when it was still legal to dig the big fellows not foxes as i regard foxes as not a true test of a terriers worth. this terrier proved his worth in front of many terrier men in many differant locations up and down the country with out the aid of a locater just with the old bar and the voice of the dog with sometime muliple digs in the same day.how many terriers around today can work an earth without a locater box can yours shamo?ive owned and work many different breeds fells , russels, borders, pats as well as plummers and there,s shite in every breed seen many spew it but there,s good dogs as well but what i find today that there is not so many people around that can get the best out of a terrier without ruining it because they havent served a proper apprentice ship to the dogs. ive given good fox dogs away in the past because they wernt up for the real test. plummers seem to have a bad time because of plummer himself not because of how they can work as they are just like any other breed some good some bad.i dont need to prove anything nowadays only to myself if a dogs worth keeping as im the one feeding and keeping it. but a word of warning shamo asking for a demo with anyone as your more likely to invite some thieving feckers down who,s only intrested in stealing your dogs so beware.we,ve had our share of dogs lifted by smiling faces. :yes:

Guest grubygrafter
shamo why does anyone have to prove how a plummer works , how long have you had terriers? i got a terrier off plummer a long time ago when it was still legal to dig the big fellows not foxes as i regard foxes as not a true test of a terriers worth. this terrier proved his worth in front of many terrier men in many differant locations up and down the country with out the aid of a locater just with the old bar and the voice of the dog with sometime muliple digs in the same day.how many terriers around today can work an earth without a locater box can yours shamo?ive owned and work many different breeds fells , russels, borders, pats as well as plummers and there,s shite in every breed seen many spew it but there,s good dogs as well but what i find today that there is not so many people around that can get the best out of a terrier without ruining it because they havent served a proper apprentice ship to the dogs. ive given good fox dogs away in the past because they wernt up for the real test. plummers seem to have a bad time because of plummer himself not because of how they can work as they are just like any other breed some good some bad.i dont need to prove anything nowadays only to myself if a dogs worth keeping as im the one feeding and keeping it. but a word of warning shamo asking for a demo with anyone as your more likely to invite some thieving feckers down who,s only intrested in stealing your dogs so beware.we,ve had our share of dogs lifted by smiling faces. :yes:

very good post. respect :victory:

shamo who are you????? and why is your post on this forum.

THL. is known to be antie plummer terrier. so it as liable to be just another antie plummer

thread. and who will vouch for you as only a fool would take up an invite from the internet

unless it was vouched by a respected (known) member surely if you where serious you would

have posted this on a plummer forum. if i had a plummer that was first rate i would'nt touch this invite

with a bargepole. also you put PURE in capitalss what do you class as pure :hmm: and what you class as earthwork may differ from my or any other persons idea. good luck in your endeaver but this i think was not the place fof a genuine post of this kind. if i was you i would seek out a breeder of working plummers and try one. ..all the best. cs

ive always sat on the fence when it comes to plummer terriers but ive been totally disapointed by the lack of defence of one of the newest breeds of working dogs in the world, further to that i would genuinely like you to point out to me what your definition of pure is and what you call earthwork? i thought everymans definition was the same on both of these subjects.

Im not for or against plummers but a bit of proof of their ability would save me having a dog for 10yrs or more that was not going to do what was promised of him

i now many terrierman.. and they all have different standards . they dont all expect the same from there terriers. some are hard to please some are easier suited ;) and pure . does that include the outcross stock

:hmm:

Edited by grubygrafter
Guest grubygrafter

I have been around the Terriers since Plummer started this Project of his. He was a shreud and educated Man, but not an out and out 'digging man'. He first started 'The Project' to prove he could do it, not for the betterment of the Terrier. Once he was told he couldn't do it he tried even harder. He wanted to be up there with Parson Russell and it seems to have worked with a lot of guys who now keep 'Plummer Terriers' and see little wrong in them.

It took quite a while to get these Dogs to breed 'true to type' and become uniformed. There was a great deal of culling and inbreeding. Eventually with help from others the Breed did become uniformed and stereotypical. Plummer said he used mainly three crosses, Fell Terrier, Bull and Beagle. He did use Beagle Terrier crosses on accasion, as opposed to straight Beagle, to help keep the size manageable. I had spoken to Plummer about these Dogs of his and when pushed he became very defensive and condascending. He especially became defensive when he was questioned about the Digging side of Terriers, which even the Name suggests should be the main reason for a Terrier living!!

He wanted an 'all round' Terrier, one which could be used for Ratting, Bushing and generally Mooching about. That is what he got mostly and on the odd occasion a few would actually do a Terriers job. I do not care what the PTC says about the Plummers and how they became etc, I have spoken to Brian in person and quizzed him to the point of absolute frustration!! The Plummer Terrier is an all round type of Dog much like I would expect a Spaniel to be.

Having said all that I have an open invitation here for anyone, who has an out and out Earth working (so called PURE) Plummer, to come down and spend the Weekend or whatever with me to show me the standard of the modern 'WORKING' Plummer. Bring several, there is plenty of work for you to do. I have heard all the excuses about not accepting invites and the "what will it prove" comments. I am also aware 'one Swallow doesn't make a Summer' and I can't see lots of Plummers 'work'. I would love to accomodate someone who has a few Plummers or even two. It will prove nothing to the masses maybe, but it might convert a sceptic, who has been one since Mr Plummer began this School Project of his. If there are any negative comments they will not be spoken of, ANYWHERE, but if there are positive comments I will be the first to sing their praises, wherever the owners want!! This is a genuine 'invite' and not meant to be malicious. It is an invite for anyone who has a PURE Plummer they consider to be an 'Earth Dog'. Any takers?........PM me.

Do you have any of Plummer's recreated 'Lucas' terriers I could see work? I'll certainly bring my 'pack' of 'notoriously slow to enter' Borders if you have. :hmm:

predictable post nuv :rofl:

Do you have any of Plummer's recreated 'Lucas' terriers I could see work? I'll certainly bring my 'pack' of 'notoriously slow to enter' Borders if you have. :hmm:

predictable post nuv :rofl:

Obviously appropriate then.... :signthankspin::signthankspin::clapper:

About the Lucas.... :ph34r:

shamo s right, in every breed re good and bad, y can find here lots of posts with russels, beddies, lakelands, patts, borders, outcrosses but just one post with plummers doing a job, bring some more pics from actions, or accept shamos invitation and prove quality of plummers.

the way i look at it come feb when we are up the hills denning throught to april i dont see any plummers, or rossete winners just working terreirs ,i know guys whove worked dogs for and on all earth qaurry , these channels get boring , whats the best this and that, why not get on with it and work what you want and what suits you as long as you stay straight and true and know the downfalls all the best to all working jukels feed them right and treat them like heroes

Austin

You dragged me out of keyboard retirement.

I am willing to show my dog working to fox

there are a few stipulations

Must be less then 100 miles from my home around trip

must be on written permision

And the best bit

Austin must be present at the dig(if for some strange reason he cant make it :rofl: £10 must be donated to a children charity)

I chalenged him openly on this site

My dog against his ratting, or digging.

He wanted non of it, yet shouts his mouth off when i no longer post.

There is only a handful of ratting dogs that would make mine look average...and im afraid Austin you dont own any of them.

Steve109

Thanks for the postive message

Austin if you need to talk get my phone number...its easy to get ask your mate S.R...a few others have

shame the so called pure dogs aint the only one to work charlie isnt it.

must admit lucky first one today for sid. he found this one in a small tunnel about six foot long in the banking. although to be honest fox aint my thing all the time, now and then is ok but i got sid to rat and bush with, at that he is comming on nicely :rocker::signthankspin::rocker:

as i posted a while ago BBB i aint got no need for all the bravado and bull that goes with it, sid does me proud in what ever i ask and to be honest for me that is all i need in a dog. now if you feel YOU have something to prove then take up the challenge layed down by shamo. as for me i see all the proof i need from sid each and every day and those that are out with me do so too. :whistle:

Edited by austin

Nice pics Austin...the dog in the pic looks slightly bent-legged to me. I thought that was bred out them or am I wrong?

For what it's worth I keep my dogs to do what I want; if they don't comply they go. I daresay that applies to all terrier owners of all breeds, including Plummers. Aint my cuppa, but each to their own.

Call me thick if you like or anything else but in all my years of digging Ive never seen a dog with an ounce of white on it ,dug to without a speck of dirt on it,even if its only a short one .?Makes one think the photo may not be what its meant to be .ONLY MY OPINION MIND.....OR do plummers have to by law ,have a full shampoo and manicure before being photo'd for a public forum .