Rats

nat

Has anyone used ferrets to chase rats from under sheds ect. Would a rat run from a ferret or would it stand and fight , if I was to do it it would b in winter so the rats shouldn't have any young. Dad sed a rat shud run unless it's cornered or has young... But he's only ever done ferreting coursing and lamping so he's not sure.

We have a fairly bad rat problem so I was guna use the ferret to chase rat to the dog would this work?

Cheers

as stated, pick up any old garden implement petrol engined device, ie strimmer,hedge cutter, chainsaw etc, remove the engine from the rest of it, take it to any car accessory shop and find some radiator hose that will push onto the exhaust outlet, this will withstand the heat of exhaust, put a slightly higher oil to petrol mix in it, and away you go

Bang the ferret in, it will come out if its not interested... We've had loads using ferrets spades and dogs, its easier using jills when ratting around smaller rat holes, but under a shed just unleash a bad boy hob.... The jills kill them easy enough too, if they don't bolt..... Some won't be interested but you know when you get a good ratter, some get sick of it pretty quick, others love it....

i've lost jills to rats but only in large rat sets they can get beat up a bit mind ,smoker and dogs is the best really , the best smoker i have seen is a small two stroke silent run suitcase generator it was fairly light and very quiet you could hear the rats bolting and the dogs didn't seem to miss much with that as with the chainsaw or strimmer type are loud and some long tails can slip away the advertised smokers that i have seen in action are no good

my ferret was used for ratting prior to me getting him, problem is now you really need to identify yourself to him when he comes back out of a rabbit burrow or he will bite first ask questions later. hes my only adult worker so i cant risk sending him in after rats. or i could be stuck without a ferret for the season.

iv got a problem with rats here theres only 7 houses were i live and we all got rats because some ppl have horses and other animals but when ever i see a rat run under somthin i put a ferret in but no luck yet.

Going to ring the rat man soon

Why don't you trap them? :big_boss: