Right, i recently bought a canon EOS 500d and took some photos to be developed. When i looked at the photos it seems that they have been cropped smaller than the size that you see when you take the pic or look at the pic on the computer hence leaving bits missing that you don't want missing.

Why is this? I thought i read that the size you see in the 500d window is the same as the prcessed pick...i must have got it wrong. Any comments welome.

Right, i recently bought a canon EOS 500d and took some photos to be developed. When i looked at the photos it seems that they have been cropped smaller than the size that you see when you take the pic or look at the pic on the computer hence leaving bits missing that you don't want missing.

Why is this? I thought i read that the size you see in the 500d window is the same as the prcessed pick...i must have got it wrong. Any comments welome.

i think it may be due to the size you had them made .. i had it happen to some 10 x 8,s i had done last year ... check whats the best size that the image can be processed at

to be honest i think if you crop the photo before sending it to be processed make sure you use a pre determind crop say a 6x4 & possession it over the main image so you see what you want then crop ... rathr than manually crop if that makes sence ..lol

i use picasa for this & its a free downlaod

As Kay said, it's probably down to the ratio of your camera's sensor. I believe the 500D is 3:2, so a 6x4, or 9x6 will fit perfectly with no cropping. However, 10x8 will need cropping to fit the paper size. If the case is that you ordered 6x4, and had not cropped the pics before sending for printing, then it is the fault of the lab and I'd complain to them.

All photos to date have been 7*5, when i cropped the photo it was done using the canon software that comes with the camera. It just sort of blows the pic up and a pre set size box comes down that you place over the part of the pic you want. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for the advice, im still pretty green with digital cameras, but hopefully i will get there. cheers