Is The Jill Ferret Better Than The Hob At Ferrting ?

why only enter 1 ferret at a time?

Y.I.S Leeview

two reasons, firstly it was a very hot day, therefore didnt want to take more than two ferts out in that heat, it was more of a "keeping my permission" day by ferreting the owners garden, than a proper ferreting trip,and secondly, although the jill was'ent in season, the hob certainly was, so again, only put them in singularly

resident ferret expert pointed out he put his jill in 4 times still nothing that to me is a ferret that does'nt want it, its probably been started too young and got a few kickings,

you wrong on both counts there, Im no "expert" there's plenty more members here with more years experience than me, Im just adding my experienes to the post, secondly, the jill is a terriffic worker, have been out with quite a few members off here, both new and experienced ferreters, and everyone has always quoted how good she works,

what do you think was up with her? because as you said one ferret is not enough yet you only put in one hob and he did the job for you yet they had the same opportunity of giving him the run around, some rabbits will bolt on the slightest wiff of a ferret some need a bit of pressure when you've got an indifferent ferret you'll struggle to shift the one's that need a bit of pressure no matter what the sex of the ferret

why only enter 1 ferret at a time?

Y.I.S Leeview

two reasons, firstly it was a very hot day, therefore didnt want to take more than two ferts out in that heat, it was more of a "keeping my permission" day by ferreting the owners garden, than a proper ferreting trip,and secondly, although the jill was'ent in season, the hob certainly was, so again, only put them in singularly

"firstly it was a very hot day" above ground but it would of been a lot cooler underground :thumbs:

secondly:why not take 2hobs or 2 jills that culd be worked together?

Y.I.S Leeview

Own experience. I have 3 jills and 1 hob.. 1 of my jills far far exceeds any of the other ferrets. As for what you said about running the hob through after the jill, well i have done the opposite. Yes, i agree, a big hob which can sustain a kicking will move the most stubborn rabbits out of a deep big warren but thier are exceptions. I think the question is really unanswerable. Its like "what lurcher" is best, again this will only create a debate that can never be won...

Good and bad in both sexes and all colours, sizes and shapes, but one thing is certain 1 ferret is never enough!!! I work jills myself but also give the hob (small type polecat) a good few sessions during the season and only ever use the hob if called out non season to one of my permissions.

I work one jill to ten holes ,and there should be no differnce in the sexes if they cant clean out a burrow time to ********** ****. Theres working ferrets and working ferrets

I usually refer to my best ferret as one that gets the rabbits moving i dont want to be standing in the cold outside a burrow longer than can be helped . But some days even if your quiet etc nothing goes to plan and nothing will move them ,Them there just like the lurcher a usless bunch of pot lickers .

Own experience. I have 3 jills and 1 hob.. 1 of my jills far far exceeds any of the other ferrets. As for what you said about running the hob through after the jill, well i have done the opposite. Yes, i agree, a big hob which can sustain a kicking will move the most stubborn rabbits out of a deep big warren but thier are exceptions. I think the question is really unanswerable. Its like "what lurcher" is best, again this will only create a debate that can never be won...

I'd agree with that. :yes: I've got 4 jills here, I always take my albino one out with me + another one. Half the time I don't know why I bother taking another one, as the albino ploughs through the warrens all day, no matter how big they are. Saying that, the biggest warren I've worked her on alone was about a 30 holer, I don't use a locator all the time, so tend to stay away from the humongous ones.

Edited by maltenby

some 1 sayd what ferret you got and i sayd hob and he sayd your better of with the jill they dnt grow as big and they are ment to be better for ferreting am i better of getin a jill?

I normally use a combination of both, two hobs and two jills, some animals work better than others hob or jill................................

I'd agree with that. :yes: I've got 4 jills here, I always take my albino one out with me + another one. Half the time I don't know why I bother taking another one, as the albino ploughs through the warrens all day, no matter how big they are. Saying that, the biggest warren I've worked her on alone was about a 30 holer, I don't use a locator all the time, so tend to stay away from the humongous ones.

I t o would not hesitate to use my favour jill, alone on 30 holers. But i always use a locator, as some of the warrens we work exceed 60 holes, then 2 or 3 ferrets are entered...

I t o would not hesitate to use my favour jill, alone on 30 holers. But i always use a locator, as some of the warrens we work exceed 60 holes, then 2 or 3 ferrets are entered...

I won't touch anything too big or too overgrown without a locator. :thumbs: