Is The Jill Ferret Better Than The Hob At Ferrting ?

Each to there own mate .i think you have to look to the summer time and when they come into season ,Ive ten jills and two hobs as i find its easier to work the jills together then just use the hobs to bring them out of season .Them if i had twelve hobs i'd need to seperate them during the summer or get them operated on or they would be fighting and bumming each other all summer .

the easy answer, is one ferret is never enough, if using jills, yes they are smaller,faster, but a single jill working a large warren may not bolt any rabbits, as the rabbits will just give her the run around underground, so jills are best used in pairs, and its no more work in looking after two instead of one

their downside is each year after you get them as kitts, they will come into season, and remain in season, until taken out,

I would never dream of using an "in season" jill for ferreting in the summer if called upon, as the swollen vulva is just an invite to infection, in unknown conditions

hobs, if bought as kitts can and do live together all year round without any hassel, its all to do with the individual ferret though, some behave, some dont, I have three hobs that are housed together, and a single that would rip others apart

but hobs for ferreting are my main team, a hob, although slower, will definately make rabbits bolt

as an example, a permission owner I have asked me to ferret his victorian wall garden, I took an out of season jill, and a large hob, using the jill first, I ran her through the first warren four times, at this point the warren looked and sounded empty, there was no beating/thumping of rabbits back feet like normal, I boxed her up, and as it was a hot day, decieded to let "ted" have a quick run to cool down, within seconds of putting him down, three rabbits bolted into the longnet

the easy answer, is one ferret is never enough, if using jills, yes they are smaller,faster, but a single jill working a large warren may not bolt any rabbits, as the rabbits will just give her the run around underground, so jills are best used in pairs, and its no more work in looking after two instead of one

their downside is each year after you get them as kitts, they will come into season, and remain in season, until taken out,

I would never dream of using an "in season" jill for ferreting in the summer if called upon, as the swollen vulva is just an invite to infection, in unknown conditions

hobs, if bought as kitts can and do live together all year round without any hassel, its all to do with the individual ferret though, some behave, some dont, I have three hobs that are housed together, and a single that would rip others apart

but hobs for ferreting are my main team, a hob, although slower, will definately make rabbits bolt

as an example, a permission owner I have asked me to ferret his victorian wall garden, I took an out of season jill, and a large hob, using the jill first, I ran her through the first warren four times, at this point the warren looked and sounded empty, there was no beating/thumping of rabbits back feet like normal, I boxed her up, and as it was a hot day, decieded to let "ted" have a quick run to cool down, within seconds of putting him down, three rabbits bolted into the longnet

stubby thats not becuase the hobs are better than jills, its just that 1 hob is better than the jill.

i have done exactly the same thing but the other way round, thats just 1 ferret being better than another, regardless of sex.

stubby thats not becuase the hobs are better than jills, its just that 1 hob is better than the jill.

i have done exactly the same thing but the other way round, thats just 1 ferret being better than another, regardless of sex.

Spot on - there are traits true of sexes, i/e hobs do grow larger as a rule and can take more knocks etc, but then i like to use small hobs and have one jill thats as big as a lot of hobs and a jill thats a midget. I've got a jill thats like lightening and one that plods At the end of the day as you said a lot is down to the ferret and not the sex. I find that mine all work to pretty much the same level, but do it in different ways. Having said that i've the one large jill i mentioned thats the equivalent of the cavalry, she just f*****g HATES rabbits.

I never said hobs were better, I keep both sexes, and use both sexes, just at different times,different warrens,different months etc

I'd aggree if they were any other of my ferrets, than the two I took, my best jill, who came from magwitch's bloodline, she's a cracking 4yr old worker, and really does work her heart out, I do think it was more like I mentioned above, that using a single jill on that particular warren, they were easily giving her the run around down below, on see the hob x 4 the size of her, the thought, f**k it, lets get out of here :laugh:

I never said hobs were better, I keep both sexes, and use both sexes, just at different times,different warrens,different months etc

I'd aggree if they were any other of my ferrets, than the two I took, my best jill, who came from magwitch's bloodline, she's a cracking 4yr old worker, and really does work her heart out, I do think it was more like I mentioned above, that using a single jill on that particular warren, they were easily giving her the run around down below, on see the hob x 4 the size of her, the thought, f**k it, lets get out of here :laugh:

do you think the rabbits can see the size of ferret down the warren prehaps the jill was having a bad day and didnt feel like working ? or the hob just got lucky

I'd seriously question the jills ability :thumbs: if a hob can shift rabbits within seconds of putting him down and she had 4 attempts and failed :thumbdown: you used a longnet so how large was the warren and why only enter 1 ferret at a time?

Y.I.S Leeview

personaly i only keep one jill and two hobs, all ferrets should work the difference being some are better than others, as our resident ferret expert pointed out he put his jill in 4 times still nothing that to me is a ferret that does'nt want it, its probably been started too young and got a few kickings, they soon learn to stand off a rabbit the other problem is if your using a dog will you begin to question its marking? the other problem is digging down 4ft only to find your rabbit 3ft further up the tube, what he said has no bearings on which is better hob or jill its just he has one that wants it and one that does'nt, sex is just a preferance